United States
Joined 6615 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 17 of 20
10 June 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
siromar wrote:
Swedish is fun to learn, not that hard to pronounce (well, difficult at first, but you get used to it), and is very pleasant sounding.

I agree, I was trying a good online tutorial for Swedish (I don't have the link, I just found it somewhere), and for the first few minutes, I had a very hard time pronouncing the words, but after a while, it became much easier.

thanks for your advice,

brumblebee
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6708 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 18 of 20
11 June 2006 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
...I would say Dutch is the easiest language as it shares quite a substantial vocabulary (albeit spelt slightly differently)...

I remember thinking the exact opposite: Once I found a magazine and when I opened it up, I saw what I now believe was Dutch but at the time it did not look familiar at all to me. In fact it looked utterly alien, and because I was a bus full of exchange students from all the corners of Europe and some parts of Asia as well, it could have been any language for all I knew. Since that time, though, I've learned quite a bit more, and am more inclined to agree with you now. I just wanted to share that story that I thought was kind of amusing. :-)

I have never studied Dutch, so I cannot speak for how easy or hard it is, although I've heard it's not terribly difficult. I have, however, studied German and Norwegian: German is complicated, but starts to make sense after you give it a chance...but Norwegian...I really like Norwegian. All of the Germanic languages have kind of a dark charm to them, but the Scandinavian languages are especially cool, and as far as ease goes, I thought Norwegian was quite simple in a lot of regards, and you are in luck because Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are quite similiar to one another. So I would say if ease is your concern, go with those first.

Edited by Journeyer on 11 June 2006 at 11:53pm

Eddard
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 6594 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC1, German, Swedish
Studies: French, Italian

Message 19 of 20
13 June 2006 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Hi brumble,

As you may know already, I'm a big fan of Swedish, although Norwegian must be easier to pronounce, lacking the strange (but BEAUTIFUL) sj-sound as in the Swedish words SJu, SKära, STJärna, SKJuta, SJälv, etc.
If you want to learn a specific Germanic language I would say:

-German, if you want to learn an IMPORTANT language. In Europe German is the biggest language, if we don't count Russian and the German economy is one of the strongest as well.

-Swedish, if you want to learn a BEAUTIFUL language. Without doubt the Italian of the Germanic languages, which is sung instead of spoken. It's the biggest Scandinavian language as well.

-Any Scandinavian language (except Icelandic en Faroese) if you hate complicated grammar rules. These grammars are VERY easy to master.

-Dutch if you're looking for a language with a vocabulary, pretty close to English (well, at least more than the other Germanic languages).

brumblebee
Diglot
United States
Joined 6615 days ago

206 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 20 of 20
13 June 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
I think that I will probably learn Swedish first

2. German
3. Icelandic
4. Norwegian
(If I choose to learn more)
5. Dutch
6. Afrikaans
7. Danish
8. Faroese
9. Frisian
10.other

Edited by brumblebee on 13 June 2006 at 9:07am

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version