Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4642 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 8
03 February 2012 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
So, I have been listening to Romanian radio stations and Romanian videos. I do understand
2 words or more. But the rest I can't understand. I saw a video on about listening and he
said I should listen to the language I'm learning for 30 minutes a day and then after a
while, my brain will become more use to it. Does anyone have any tips on how I can
improve my listening skills and recongise words when listening? Thank you :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 8
03 February 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Have you completed a beginner's course yet? I would think you would be able to understand more than 2 words a sentence if you did. Most posters on the forum say you should get to native material as soon as you can, but you might not be ready for native material yet.

Is it just the rate that they're talking at? You can use software to slow it down, but I don't know how to do it so you would need to ask someone else.

Good luck.

happycheeks
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4642 days ago

57 posts - 59 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 8
03 February 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Have you completed a beginner's course yet? I would think you would
be able to understand more than 2 words a sentence if you did. Most posters on the forum
say you should get to native material as soon as you can, but you might not be ready for
native material yet.

Is it just the rate that they're talking at? You can use software to slow it down, but I
don't know how to do it so you would need to ask someone else.

Good luck.

Well, there aren't much courses for Romanian on the internet. But I am studying from a Romanian book and I have audio lessons too. The people do speak a little fast.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4650 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 4 of 8
03 February 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
I have the same problem with Dutch. I've been using Assimil for a while and I can recognize pretty much everything in their audio, but when I try to watch a Dutch movie or something like that....disaster!

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 5 of 8
03 February 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
OK, I didn't know if you were just listening to the radio and thinking you would understand it or if you were going through a course too. Like I said, you may just not be ready or you just need more listening practice.

I don't know how to use it, but the program Audacity lets you edit audio clips so you might be able to slow the audio from the course down, then speed it up as you understand it better.

I think being able to listen to fast native speakers is just a matter of practice. I volunteer in an advanced Enlgish class for foreigners and they complain that I talk and read too fast, although native English speakers complain about my reading and speaking speed, too.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5197 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 8
03 February 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
There are free online courses available. Try this link: Where do I begin in Romanian
and check out my post and the others.

To search the forum use the "g-search" function.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
03 February 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Stop listening for the general meaning and just try to separate the stream of sounds into words and sentences - unless you can do that you haven't got a chance to recognize words. Next: keep on ignoring the general meaning, but now listen for words you know. After that there is a third step (which is the hard one): learn more words, and sooner or later you will recognize so many that the general meaning will pop up in your head without further ado.

The big problem is that you could concentrate on guessing the general meaning based on single words, context and the likehood of different interpretations - and if you have to know the meaning, for instance during a travel, then may be a reasonable activity. But for language learning you also need to build a secure fundament, and wild guesses aren't helping you to achieve that. So while you still have basic problems I would suggest that you do the things I mentioned above, and when you begin to see the impenetrable fortress crumble you can start listening more and more for meaning.

Edited by Iversen on 03 February 2012 at 3:32pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 8
03 February 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
happycheeks wrote:
Well, there aren't much courses for Romanian on the internet. But I am studying from a Romanian book and I have audio lessons too. The people do speak a little fast.
there are lots of native materials online though :P
i myself started learning Romanian because there are often good football streams in Romanian, especially for EPL. I then even started watching Romanian football :D

Other than that, check the thread linked above, I posted there too:) It seems you might be closer to the "native materials" extreme. Me too:)

Also, if you understand written Romanian better, you could try finding some materials with transcripts.

Edited by Serpent on 03 February 2012 at 9:44pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version