Joined 5327 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 73
21 April 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
nway wrote:
And until two identical people under identical circumstances learn Mandarin
and Japanese while keeping record of every single moment—and the intensity thereof—
studying their respective languages, we shall never know which is easier.

Japanese has more writing systems, but less characters to memorize.
Japanese is easier to pronounce, but it's spoken more quickly.
Japanese has less tones, but they're used more subtly.

It all balances out in the end. If people have to debate endlessly about which is
easier (or "harder", as it's typically framed), the difference between the two clearly
isn't significant enough to matter.

Nway, there is some contradiction in your post. It's true that no person could learn
both languages in exactly the same conditions, but then if that's the case, why be
surprised that people are asking the question? I agree that the answer would have
little impact on anything, but it's a valid question.

And while no person could learn in identical settings, we can objectively agree on a
number of points making either language easier or harder. The impact of the information
will depend on the person, on the languages they already speak, but the facts are
objectively straightforward and hardly debatable:

Writing System

In Chinese, all words are written with characters. These characters are
straightforward, almost always have a single reading, and there are often clues in the
characters that lead to the pronunciation.

Japanese has 3 writing systems, but once katakana and hiragana are learned, only kanji
pose a real problem. Because only part of the language is written with kanji, this
simplifies reading. However, kanji typically have several readings, which means that
they each need to be learned in context in order to be read correctly. This makes
reading significantly more complex.

Pronunciation

Chinese contains more consonant and more vowel sounds than Japanese.
Chinese has tones -- while it's among the simpler tonal systems, it's a significant
hurdle at first. Japanese has a two-way height system whereby all syllables are either
high or low, but its impact on comprehension is often quoted as minimal whereas tones
are an essential part of Chinese.

Grammar and Morphology

Because Chinese is monosyllabic, words can simply be put together to get meaning and
they do not change in form or in pronunciation. However, Japanese is an agglutinative
language and many changes occur when words are placed together. There is also a
significant amount of rules that you must follow in order to correctly build a
sentence.
6 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5361 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 10 of 73
21 April 2012 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
We can objectively agree on a number of points making either language easier or harder.

We really can't. Different features of varying complexities don't affect overall language difficulty unless someone were to study only Chinese grammar, but not pronunciation, or only Japanese pronunciation, but not writing. If you're learning either language in its entirety, then the difficulty of some of its individual components relative to another language's respective individual components is without any significance.

Arekkusu wrote:
but the facts are objectively straightforward and hardly debatable.

The facts indeed are. But their implications aren't.

Edited by nway on 21 April 2012 at 11:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 73
22 April 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
While this thread and both discussed languages are very interesting, I have a more
serious question. Nway, what is chupacabra?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 73
22 April 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
nway wrote:
...Different features of varying complexities don't affect overall language difficulty unless someone were to study only Chinese grammar, but not pronunciation, or only Japanese pronunciation, but not writing.
Well, I don't have a perfect pitch, I don't sing or play a musical instrument, and when I had advanced English phonetics classes I had serious trouble producing exactly the right intonation. I do kind of think the Chinese pronunciation would be far more difficult for me than for someone who's got more experience/talent. Which makes the language overall more difficult for me unless I have an advantage over the other person in some area.

On the other hand, I love agglutinating languages so I think Japanese would be easier for me than for someone who doesn't even know the grammar of his/her native language (provided our visual memory is equally good/bad).

Edited by Serpent on 22 April 2012 at 12:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5361 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 13 of 73
22 April 2012 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
@ Cavesa:

The English word for this:

Quote:
The chupacabras (Spanish pronunciation: [tʃupaˈkaβɾas], from chupar "to suck" and cabra "goat", literally "goat sucker") is a legendary cryptid rumored to inhabit parts of the Americas. It is associated more recently with sightings of an allegedly unknown animal in Puerto Rico (where these sightings were first reported), Mexico, and the United States, especially in the latter's Latin American communities. The name comes from the animal's reported habit of attacking and drinking the blood of livestock, especially goats.

Physical descriptions of the creature vary. Eyewitness sightings have been claimed as early as 1995 in Puerto Rico, and have since been reported as far north as Maine, and as far south as Chile, and even being spotted outside the Americas in countries like Russia and The Philippines. It is supposedly a heavy creature, the size of a small bear, with a row of spines reaching from the neck to the base of the tail.

The sighting reports of chupacabras end up being uncorroborated eyewitness reports without evidence, or canids with mange. Biologists and wildlife management officials view the chupacabras as a contemporary legend.

Edited by nway on 22 April 2012 at 12:23am

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4645 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 14 of 73
22 April 2012 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu: Most Mandarin words are disyllabic and many characters have multiple readings.

Edited by LaughingChimp on 22 April 2012 at 1:54am

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5327 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 73
22 April 2012 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
LaughingChimp wrote:
Arekkusu: Most Mandarin words are disyllabic and many characters
have multiple readings.

Each syllable is pronounced the same whether on its own or in a compound. That's a major
plus.

You're right about characters with multiple readings, but these constitute, at most, 20%
of characters and half of those simply exhibit a change in tone. In the vast majority of
the other cases, they still sound similar. Japanese kanji's multiple readings often have
nothing in common whatsoever.

Edited by Arekkusu on 22 April 2012 at 2:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6889 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 16 of 73
22 April 2012 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
nway wrote:
I've never understood why people care to "rank" languages in terms of difficulty. What purpose does it serve, exactly?

The sort of rough estimate of the level of difficulty provided by the three FSI categories can help those with limited study time decide which languages to study and which to avoid.

Another area, at least for me, is the difficulty of pronunciation. A forum member once claimed that native Russian speakers have a fair chance of attaining virtually native pronunciation in Japanese and Italian. I haven't confirmed this from any other source, but assuming this to be true, it's the sort of information I can see myself taking into account when choosing a language to learn. In fact, when picking my first foreign language, I settled on Spanish over French in no small part because of its easier pronunciation.

So, no harm in ranking, although it's probably not that useful to split hairs.

Edited by frenkeld on 22 April 2012 at 2:58am

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version