2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 1 of 133
14 June 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Intro:
I previously posted somewhere that I wasn't the kind of person to post a public
journal. However, I've been somewhat inspired by all the brave challengers
(challengees?) out there doing all sorts of extreme (to my delicate ears) challenges of
the various varieties (hey you could get sponsorship from Heinz...there must be at
least 57 varieties by now).

Well, I don't have the stamina or dedication to do one of the official challenges, but
I thought, surrounded by all this effort on all sides, I should at least try to raise
my own game a bit. So, a kind of personal challenge I suppose.

Despite what it says in my profile, French and Spanish are definitely "on hold" for the
time being. I'm sure I will go back to them at some time, and at some level, but until
recently, I was trying to put all my effort (such as it was) into really trying to get
my German up to a good level. I've been studying it on and off for probably 15 years,
but in some ways, have never really felt totally confident at it. When I discovered the
L-R method on here, I thought that (short of going to live in Germany), it was
potentially the best way (and a way that appealed to me) for me to get exposure to a
lot of native language input. As I quite like the classics, there is a lot of PD
material that I can easily get hold of, although I sometimes feel I should make an
effort to get up to speed with some more modern authors.

At the same time, I've been intrigued by the Scandinavian languages as a group for some
time, and this has been stimulated by the excellent TV series we've been treated to on
BBC4 in recent years, plus of course the Stieg Larsson books and spinoff films. I tried
Norwegian for a while (because of a trip there, but also because I thought it was
supposed to be a "3-for-1" passport. I know now that it is not as simple as that). I
had been put off Danish because of the evident pronunciation issues, which was a
shame, because I'd become aware that there were, for example, a lot of interesting
Danish films out there, and I knew that it was an attractive tourist destination. What
finally triggered me curiously enough was hearing about another Brit (and his wife) who
had grasped the nettle of learning Danish in a big way - they had gone for the total
immersion approach). While the latter wasn't really open to me, I thought that, well,
maybe a concentrated amount of L-R could be a relatively easy way of getting something
like immersion. It would also be an interesting test of the L-R method when applied to
a language at which one is an almost total beginner.

I don't regard myself as in any way a polyglot, like many of the talented and hard-
working people here, and I'm not even sure if my ambitions lie in that direction. I
would like to improve and possibly perfect the languages I'm already familiar with, and
maybe learn one or two other ones reasonably well, if possible. At least that's as far
as I'm looking at the moment. As far as other languages go, I learned Latin formally at
school for 5 years, and over the years, have attempted to teach myself Dutch, Welsh,
Italian, Biblical Hebrew, and New Testament Greek. Apart from the other Scandinavian
languages, I think the most likely "next" language for me might be Portuguese; but
that's a long way off, if it ever happens.

Edited by montmorency on 21 June 2012 at 10:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 2 of 133
15 June 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
The "Challenge"

Not a formal challenge, as I've mentioned, but I think I'm going to try to "do" the
equivalent of 1 Danish or 1 German book per week. This will be more like 2 books per
fortnight, rather than 1 per week. In addition I'll try to watch as many DVDs of either
language as I can get hold of, but this might not be all that many, plus the odd visit
to the local "arthouse" cinema.

As L-R can take quite a time, and as I tend to work slowly, I'm not really sure I can
match this pace, but we'll see how it goes. A lot of the "classic" German books are
fairly long, which is good for getting your teeth into, but does of course eat up the
time.

I'm intrigued by the idea of "reverse L-R", i.e. listening to your L1, while reading
L2, if necessary recording yourself reading in L1 first, but that would also eat up a
lot of time. It might well be worth it though.

In the past I've taken a rather purist approach of only using books that were
originally written in the TL. However, in the case of Scandinavian, it seems a bit
silly to ignore books written in Swedish or Norwegian, especially as my longer term
goal would be to get familar with those languages as well. But also I have to be
pragmatic, and if there are "classics" like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings easily
available in German and Danish, then I'd be silly to ignore those too.

But also, there are plenty of DVDs around of both films and TV series in Swedish, and
some in Norwegian, and I'm going to consider those grist to the mill also. If they have
subtitles in Danish (or I can find them online), so much the better.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I had a sort of Eureka moment when I realised that a lot
of Scandinavian stuff (especially "Krimis") were popular in Germany, and there would be
German translations around, so where possible, I'll try to read them in both Danish and
German (with the appropriate audiobooks where available).

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 3 of 133
15 June 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Deutsch:I've been listening to an audiobook of Thomas Mann's "Buddenbrooks"
, and reading the text from Pr. Gutenberg. I don't currently have an English
translation, but it's not proving too much of a problem. I saw a DVD of it last year.
I've also got the audiobook for "Der Tod in Venedig", so that might be next. I
read this some years ago, and found it quite tricky, but we'll see how it goes with the
audiobook (and of course, any progress I have hopefuly made since then).

Other than possible Scando-translations, I'm considering "Tintenherz", and/or "The Lord
of The Rings", for which I have found an audiobook. (And it somehow seems fitting to
read the work of a scholar of (among other things) Germanic languages and legend).

Dansk
As mentioned elsewhere, I've been working through TYS Complete Danish, which I have
found to be good (better than I had expected). I've concentrated on the dialogues which
are on the 2 CDs, but have been going back and filling in some grammar and vocabulary.

I've listened to some of the podcasts from Copenhagencast.com, but not bought the
transcripts yet, although I plan to. I've also listened and watched some of the
audio/video podcasts from Danish radio, but there aren't any transcripts. Hopefully
they will come more into their own when I can separate out the individual words better.

L-R
A forum member kindly suggested the book "Naiv.Super" by Erland Loe (originally
written in Norwegian, but that's ok). I've identified Danish translations in audiobook
and e-book form, but haven't forked out for them yet (that's the painful bit!). I'll
look around for a German translation as well, and possibly the Norwegian original (what
the heck... :-) ). However, I have today finished the English translation (it's a short
book). Quite charming, as everyone says.

I've just started to read the English translation of "Mercy" by Jussi Adler-
Olsen
, which is the 1st of the "Department Q" krimi novels. Apparently he's
Denmark's best selling author of that genre, although I must admit I'd never heard of
him until recently. It seems to be a page-turner, and shouldn't take long to
finish...in English :-)

I will also be looking for works by the authors that other forum members have kindly
suggested.

There are some Danish works on both Project Gutenberg and Librivox, but unfortunately,
there is very little correspondence between them, so no easy path to L-R there,
although I did find the text of some short stories online for which there are Librivox
recordings (mostly H.C.Andersen I think, and I enjoyed listening to and reading those).

Film/TV/DVD
I borrowed "After the Wedding" (Mads Mikkelsen, Rolf Lassgård, and Sidse Babett
Knudsen)
from the library (they seem to have about 6 Danish DVDs there). A really
excellent film I thought. I'll watch it again with my wife (who likes anything
Scandinavian, and was a Scandophile before I was). Only English s/t on the DVD, but
I'll see what there is online. I wondered if Lassgård would be playing a Dane or a
Swede, but his character is definitely Swedish. There were one or two little "digs" at
the Swedes in there :-)

I recently received the DVD set for the Rolf Lassgård versions of "Wallander"
that the BBC have shown, and have watched 2 episodes, listening as carefully as I could
(English-only s/t). I was pleased to pick up a few words from their similarity with
Danish (which I would not have got the 1st time around, on TV).

The remaining RL Wallanders are not readily available in this country but I've found
some of them at Swedish and Danish online DVD shops. Not cheap, but with a good range
of subtitles (usually all the Nordic Languages). So they are on the wish list.

At some point, I guess I will get the DVDs for "Forbrydelsen", "The Bridge|Bron|Broen",
and "Den Som Dræber", oh, and "Borgen". Subtitles are always going to be an issue
though. Do I get the UK versions, and depend on getting s/t online, or do I get the
Scandinavian editions (usually paying more, and possibly no English s/t?). As I'd like
to watch these with my wife sometimes, and she isn't studying any Scandinavian language
seriously, I guess I have to opt for versions with English (that we can watch on TV,
not just on a computer). :-)

Edited by montmorency on 15 June 2012 at 1:18am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 4 of 133
16 June 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
2012-06-15 Freitag|Fredag

Dansk

Read a bit over half of English translation of "Mercy" by Jussi Adler-Olsen, in
preparation for L-R. Glad to see he puts in a few jokes. More than Henning Mankell
(although as I heard Håkon Nesser saying in a podcast of a discussion, it would be hard
not to have more humour than Henning Mankell :-) ).   But I realised this wasn't doing
any actual Danish, so....

...I did some wordlists based on my TYS book, 6 groups of 7 words. I ignored any ones
that were too obvious from English or German, but did include any that I've already
picked up since I started the book. This means that this process will probably get
harder, but, well if it isn't hurting, it isn't working, as someone once said :-)
Also listened to some of the dialogues on the CDs.

I know my ears play tricks, but I'm wondering if some of the pronunciation on these CDs
is inconsistent. Well, it's early days yet, and I need to hear many many more hours of
Danish before it will begin to make sense. At least I am picking out from the audio
words that I now know (hilarious deviations from the spelling notwithstanding!).
What my daughter would probably call comedy spelling. :-)

Deutsch

Didn't do any actual German at all today, I'm afraid, although I did try to put the
computer files with my audiobooks in into some sort of order.
A favourite tutor of mine used to say "Jeden Tag etwas Deutsch".
Good motto; I should put it into practice.

I want to continue with "Buddenbrooks", and then "Der Tod in Venedig".

Hopefully my conversation group will start again soon (teacher has been busy
elsewhere), although we'll only meet 3 or 4 times during the summer.
Still, it helps to "keep it real". Sort of :-)

Edited by montmorency on 16 June 2012 at 3:54am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 5 of 133
18 June 2012 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
2012-06-16-17 Samstag-Sonntag|Lørdag-Søndag

Dansk

Tried to do as many words from TYS Danish in wordlists as I could, but it was not as
many as I would have liked. Still, at least it's some each day.

Studied some grammar points in TYSD: plurals; past tenses.
Up to now, I've really been letting the grammar "wash over me".
Not that I'm naive or arrogant enough to think I'll pick it all up like a child
acquiring its first language, but knowing its simpler than German, and in some respects
simpler than English. However, I know I'll have to get to grips with it properly, but I
will try to make that a gradual (painless?) process. And I do actually find grammar
interesting anyway. e.g. I assume that "skulle" is a residual subjunctive form of
"skal", used only now in set phrases by shop assistants and waiters perhaps.

Now read about 2/3 of "Mercy" in English; I think I can see the way it's shaping up,
but we'll see if he throws in some surprises. Will Assad turn out to have been a
detective in Syria....? He seems pretty good for a cleaner.

Watched "After the Wedding" again with my wife. Was pleased to pick out a few more
words, and also notice some differences in pronunciation by the Swede, Rolf Lassgård,
from the way the Danes were pronouncing certain words, e.g. "Jacob", and "Hansson".
Similar, I guess to the difference in the way that Saga Norén's first name was
pronounced in "Bron|Broen|The Bridge".

Deutsch
Hardly any, I'm afraid, except read and replied to a short email.

Edited by montmorency on 18 June 2012 at 5:55am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 6 of 133
21 June 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
2012-06-18-20 Montag-bis-Mittwoch|Mandag-Onsdag

Where does the time go?! Goodness...

Dansk

Listened to a lot of podcasts from Danish Radio, including some with transcripts (only
"Kanten" :-( ). Most of the time, I can keep up ok, but occasionally will lose my
place, and have to hunt around to get back in. It helps that they have short paragraphs
which are good places to get back in.

I wordlisted Unit 5 of TYSCD and worked through the dialogues. Not so many cognates
with English or German in this unit, so a bit harder, but some words are sticking.

"gammel"=old sounds like a nice word, for some reason :-)
"måske"=perhaps .... reminds me a bit of Dutch "mischien"[sp?], but nothing like German
or English, as far as I can see, unless there is some old dialect word, or some word
I've forgotten.
"hav(-et,-e)"=sea - on first sight, couldn't see any connections, then thought, of
course, of "havn", as in København, and we have the English word "haven", which
nowadays means something like a shelter or resting place, but must have also meant
"harbour" at one time, cf. place names like "Newhaven". So, I assume there is a
connection between "hav" and "havn", but I could be wrong of course.
(Of course, the pronunciation of words like "hav", "havn", not to mention things like
"give" and "have", are going to have me banging my head against a wall for quite some
time I think. Perhaps with sufficient Tuborgs it comes more easily...).

Today I noticed Danish Radio were offering a free audiobook and Jeff Lindqvist pointed
out that there was one a week and last week's was still available, so I downloaded
both, and listened to a few chapters from each, just for fun, although I haven't got
the Danish text or a translation. This week's was about Lars Elstrup, a footballer. FB
isn't my cup of tea, but it might be interesting on a human level. Last week's was a
Krimi by Swedish Writer Leif GW Persson. I was afraid it might have been the Swedish
version at first, because the language sounded a bit different to what I've heard so
far. However, eventually, I think I convinced myself it was in Danish :-)

Later on I did actually listen to some Swedish, as I distracted myself by looking for
podcasts on Swedish Radio and other places. Quite interesting, and quite hard to
follow, to be honest. I did manage to pick out a few words, but it wasn't easy. I'd
better not spend too much time getting distracted by Swedish I suppose. It's easier
reading Swedish text than listening to audio. I can usually pick out words similar to
Danish, allowing for slight differences in spelling.

Deutsch

Apart from continuing to sort out my audiobook computer files, almost nothing. Must get
down to some concentrated L-R-ing soon.

Edited by montmorency on 21 June 2012 at 1:36am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 7 of 133
21 June 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
2012-06-21 Donnerstag|Torsdag

Dansk
Listened to some of CD1 of TYSCD again, without the book, and was pleased to be able to
pick out most of the words, and understand most of the meaning (some just through
context).

Downloaded "Borgen" episode 2/10 from BBC iPlayer (will only work for up to 30 days;
only English s/t of course), and watched it. Was pleased to pick up a lot more words
than the first time around. Listening on headphones probably helped there. Pleased that
I already knew what Folketing and Dronningen meant :-) Noticed a few not
quite literal, or
even mistranslations in the s/t's! :-)

Best line of the episode (in the subtitles...I didn't catch it in Danish): Birgitte is
waiting to be summoned by the queen, hopefully to form a new government, but it's still
uncertain. Without realising that a royal flunky is behind her, Birgitte comes out
with "Can't the b***h count?!" :-)

Deutsch
The only German I did was to watch 2 of Fasulye's videos in German, one on vegetarian
cookery, and the other on "Sprachkrimis". Sehr interessant!

Edited by montmorency on 22 June 2012 at 1:27am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 8 of 133
23 June 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
2012-06-22 Freitag|Fredag

Deutsch

For a change of mood, listened to several chapters of "Tintenherz" by Cornelia Funke.
I'd been keeping this back, giving preference to some of the heavier stuff, but I think
now it might be better to mix it in for a bit of light relief.

Dansk

My wife and I went out to see "En Kongelig Affære"("A Royal Affair"), which was
excellent. Mads Mikkelsen was very strong as Dr Struensee, Alicia Vikander was
ravishing as Queen Caroline. (We saw her practising Danish while still in England. By
the time she got to Denmark, she was fluent. I'd love to know her secret! :-) ).

Several familiar faces, including Søren Malling, and Bent Mejding (who was the standing
mayor in Forbrydelsen I), and some whom I couldn't place.

Picked up a few new words, including "Kong" for "King" (so would "King Kong" become
"Kong Kong"? :-) ).

My wife informs me that they took a few liberties with history, but I suppose that is
par for the course. She drools a bit over Mads Mikkelsen and his brother Lars (who was
Troels Hartman in Forbrydelsen I) - that's right: she drools over Troels. :-)

Edited by montmorency on 23 June 2012 at 2:49pm

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version