United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 113 of 133
03 October 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Fun

Well, I thought it was about time I changed my avatar to represent my forum name. "I" am not the Victorian/Edwardian gentleman sitting and smoking a gasper, but the dog he's holding, whom we can think of as a model for Montmorency (for the gentleman is of course, Jerome K Jerome).

I might later change this to one of the cartoon versions from the original edition, but for now, I will give due place of honour to Montmorency's creator, JKJ, who would be my inspiration as a writer, if I ever got around to writing anything (other than this babble, of course).

I'm sorry to say goodbye to Pig-Pen, who perhaps represents my human side, but it will be "au revoir" as he's sure to feature in future postings, I feel.

Montmorency represents my "doggy" side. :) I sometimes feel that I was a little dog in a previous life, and he would probably look a bit like that.

If you have been, thanks for reading. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6647 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 114 of 133
03 October 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
That dog may be the essence of Montmorencyness, but a vain attempt to find out more about the illustrious mr.2xJerome+1K (whose works I read in a long bygone age) led me to some interesting French characters at Wikipedia, including a man named Anne.

Edited by Iversen on 03 October 2012 at 4:32pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 115 of 133
03 October 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
That dog may be the essence of Montmorencyness, but a vain attempt to find out more about the illustrious mr.2xJerome+1K (whose works I read in a long bygone age) led me to some interesting French characters at Wikipedia, including a man named Anne.

Merci Monsieur! :) I've heard of a boy named Sue, but a man named Anne? Still, French men sometimes have "Marie" as a middle name don't they, so perhaps it's not as strange as it appears on first sight.

Good to know that Montmorency has a noble heritage!

Rob Tickner
New Zealand
Joined 4432 days ago

126 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: GermanB1, French, Swedish

Message 116 of 133
04 October 2012 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Well done on the 50 days of consistent Danish effort. A celebratory trip to Denmark on
the horizon?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 117 of 133
04 October 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
19:08 03/10/2012 2012-10-03    Wednesday

Dansk        onsdag

Cautiously made a start with the Goldlist method (vocab). I'll be writing more in my separate offline "Harry Palmer" log, but I'll probably quote from that in here from time to time. For now, I'm using it to revise the vocab in the TYSCD book, picking out the words I know least well (or have plain forgotten).

Did 1 page of GL. Took > 20 minutes. Realised later, it's best to work in short chunks and keep coming back until you have finished 1 page worth of 25. More pages optional on one day if you feel like, but definitely not essential.

Later, used a "poor man's Gold List method" to revise the grammar in units 1&2 of TYSCD.

Deutsch       Mittwoch

Haven't started yet, but plan to Goldlist in German too, probably starting with the excerpt from "Die Verwandlung" from my evening class. I also need to think about the poetry for next week, so could Goldlist that as well.
~Later: Didn't start, but read "Frau Jenny Treibel" until too sleepy.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 118 of 133
04 October 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Rob Tickner wrote:
Well done on the 50 days of consistent Danish effort. A celebratory trip to Denmark on
the horizon?

Thanks Rob!

"A celebratory trip to Denmark" - You know, I would so love to do that!
Not sure if possible in the short term, not least for financial reasons. It's only a hop across the water, but it's quite pricey when you get there, at least for UKers (because of the ever weak pound). But I certainly hope to get there, if not in 2012, then for sure in 2013. It helps that Frue Montmorency is a big fan of Denmark (and Scandinavia generally), and occasionally will say to me "Hey, it should be me learning Danish!". The reply to that is obvious, but one needs to be tactful... :-)

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 119 of 133
05 October 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
14:15 04/10/2012 2012-10-04 Thursday

Dansk        torsdag

CCdays=2.
Units 3-4. Only did unit 4 "mentally". Will write up tomorrow, but from now on, am changing to 1 unit per day. Realised I was rushing it to get it done. Although the grammar at this stage isn't difficult, it's better to take your time over it I think. Important material in both units.

Deutsch       Donnerstag

Words from Die Verwandlung (Kafka) into GL (2 pages so far, but got to go back. Breaking it into restful chunks.) Not trying marathon, but would like to get all words in that (5 page) section done for completeness. Fewer difficult words as it goes along. ~Later: got distracted so didn't finish. Will be less ambitious and stick to one session per day unless I'm sure I can finish a 2nd one.

Edited by montmorency on 14 October 2012 at 10:08pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 120 of 133
06 October 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
10:37 05/10/2012     Friday

Dansk        fredag

CCdays=3.
"Wrote up" unit 4. Included a lot of material, such as numbers and time, past& perfect tenses, interrogative pronouns. Unit 5 is today's "official" unit, for later on.~Later: completed the grammar in Unit 5: articles with adjectives, sing, plural, plural endings, etc. position of adverbs. question words. Numbers, expressions of time. Again, a fair amount of material & definitely worth going over. Given that it's revision, it should not be too much for a single day (although two units would be, I now realise, at least for me, especially as I want to get some vocab GL-ing in, in addition (which I did), not to mention German.

Deutsch       Freitag

(Read part of Frau Jenny Treibel in bed).

HTLAL
22:25 05/10/2012 Well, well...my network connection is working, but no response to the forum. The website (top page anyway) responds, but not the forum. It's not just slow.

It seemed to go off last weekend (Sunday afternoon UK time in that case). Maintenace? Interference? (hackers or whatever). Network problems at the forum end? I posted about this last weekend after it came back, but no one responded. Was I the only one to see this problem? Am I getting paranoid? (yes).

22:30 05/10/2012 Sort of came back but didn't come back. One of those OLE DB errors. I think FX may be doing some maintenance on the DB, which is what I think was happening last week. I wonder if the mods were informed? It would be good if the users were informed (if that's what was happening). That's what usually happens on multi-user websites / forums.

22:32 05/10/2012 It's back, and it's normal speed now I think. Well thats good, but I still think that was a planned semi-outage.
22:34 05/10/2012 hmmmm....

Good link, seen in passing:
Vocab learning - orignally found via linked article from tag search on memory.

Edited by montmorency on 06 October 2012 at 11:54pm

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version