Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 17 of 133
12 July 2012 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
2012-07-09-11 Montag-Mittwoch|Mandag|Onsdag

Dansk

Did a chapter with audio from TYS and related wordlisting.

This evening, watched Ep 4 from "Borgen" on iPlayer, and plan to watch Ep 5 on TV at
the
later hour of midnight...hmm, maybe iPlayer would be a better choice, but I might as
well keep up the momentum.

Deutsch

I checked that 1928 (H.T.Lowe-Porter) translation of "Death in Venice" a bit more
carefully, and indeed, it is not close enough to the German to be useful for any form
of parallel reading, although it's fine for getting an overall idea of the story. So I
went in search of alternatives, and have now sent off for two interesting ones (fairly
cheap, 2nd hand).

I also found another translation of "Irrungen, Wirrungen" (Fontane), by Peter Bowman,
who actually came to give a presentation to our Anglo-German club, about another book
of his. Interestingly the older translation is by a Derek Bowman, and I wonder if they
are related. It will be very interesting to compare them...

And while I was busy beating beating up my credit card to within an inch of its life, I
sent off for the Angel Books translation of "Unwiederbringlich" (also Fontane).

And, as mentioned in another thread, I found a nice translation of "Effi Briest" in the
library, in a Penguin Classics edition (it's also appeared in Angel Books), by Hugh
Rorrison and Helen Chambers (with notes also by HC). I'm really enjoying it, although I
wasn't meaning to read it just now, but I'm finding it hard to put down. It's cleverly
done, because it manages to convey the sense of the period, without using archaic
English, while also remaining reasonably close to the German. I'm certainly picking up
some subtleties which I missed from the German, and the abridged translation on Project
Gutenberg.

hmm, yes well, I seem to have gone from being a masochistic purist who eschewed
translations (at least too early), into becoming something of a collector of them!
(maybe one day a connoisseur :-) ). Ah well, whenever I worry about my change of heart,
I just mutter the phrase "comprehensible input" to myself...

Edited by montmorency on 12 July 2012 at 12:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6647 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 133
12 July 2012 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the world of bilingual texts. I have found that translations of non-fiction sometimes are more literal because the translators are less keen to be inventive AND because the texts in themselves are less ambiguous.

And even further away from that unhealthy masochistic purism: machine translations from your target language may be full of errors, but those errors (in your base language) will often be so glaring that you easily can spot them, whereas human translators can deviate from the original texts in all kinds of covert and insiduous ways.

Edited by Iversen on 12 July 2012 at 10:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 19 of 133
12 July 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
2012-07-12 Donnerstag|Torsdag

Deutsch

I received today one of the translations of Death in Venice (and other stories), this
one by David Luke. Although this (used) edition is from 1996, it seems the same
translation first appeared in 1970 in the USA in Bantam, so it's not exactly new. He
refers to the 1928 translation by Helen Lowe-Porter in unflattering terms, and proceeds
to give chapter and verse of some of the errors in several of the stories. He does
charitably say that she was working under pressure (she translated a lot of Mann's
work). I would also add that compared with today, she did not have electronic
dictionaries or the internet, and perhaps the printed German-English dictionaries of
her day were not very good. The only unforgiveable sin (I don't know who would be to
blame; probably not her) is that this translation
continued to be printed, uncorrected, year after year, for a very long time (and maybe
still is being printed in its original form ... I've seen it on sale online, but not
seen the text).

I also received the Peter James Bowman translation of "Irrungen Wirrungen" (Fontane),
which he renders as "On tangled Paths". It is certainly not identical to the Derek
Bowman ("Entanglements") translation, although in places it is quite similar. In fact,
he refers to that, and three others thus: "...these versions fall too far short of the
original in too many ways to allow readers to form a true idea of its quality". I had
not realised that he did a PhD at Cambridge on Fontane, so I suppose he knows what he
is talking about. He makes no mention of being related to Derek Bowman, so I imagine
that is just a coincidence.

Intriguingly, I found this on Amazon:
"The Bowmans: a Liverpool Family History [Unknown Binding]
Peter Bowman (Author), Derek Bowman (Author)"

However, the author of "On tangled Paths" uses the name "Peter James Bowman", so maybe
the one above is someone else.

I've been continuing to read my Penguin Classics translation of Effi Briest. I'm not
attempting to L-R it at this point (I've done it before, with the Librivox recordings,
and the help of the abridged translation on Project Gutenberg), but occasionally I'll
go back to the original and compare a page or so, or a paragraph, or a phrase, and
sometimes "harvest" a "new" word. One of these days I'll go back and L-R it again, but
I have plenty of other material to be occupied with.

Edited by montmorency on 12 July 2012 at 7:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 20 of 133
12 July 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Welcome to the world of bilingual texts. I have found that
translations of non-fiction sometimes are more literal because the translators are less
keen to be inventive AND because the texts in themselves are less ambiguous.

And even further away from that unhealthy masochistic purism: machine translations from
your target language may be full of errors, but those errors (in your base language)
will often be so glaring that you easily can spot them, whereas human translators can
deviate from the original texts in all kinds of covert and insiduous ways.

Good points, and it is probably a lot more of a danger with translations of "literary"
authors, where the translator has to try to emulate a high literary style in another
language, and that must be quite hard to do and remain faithful to the original. I have
worked a bit with google translations of books from my TL, and I probably have an
"opportunity" to do rather more of this, since I would quite like, ultimately, to read
all of the Fontane novels, for example, and there are several for which I have not so
far found any translation.

In my time here on HTLAL, I have learned, from you and others, to be wary of literary
translations, but it's only now that I've realised for myself how much of a potential
minefield it is.

And I probably ought to read a bit more non-fiction.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 21 of 133
14 July 2012 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
2012-07-13 Freitag|Fredag

Deutsch
I received 2 more translations I'd ordered (both used; both cheap):

1. "Entanglements" (Irrungen, Wirrungen) by Derek Bowman, a nicely printed hardback in
lovely condition. (The library copy can go back now). Good notes.

2. "Death in Venice", this time translated by Stanley Applebaum (Dover Thrift Edition,
1995). No additional stories, but some very interesting notes. I will try to
transcribe some of them in a later edit or post.

I recently reactivated my Lovefilm membership, and received 2 DVDs today.
I was surprised to get these as they were nowhere near the top of my list.
In fact I don't even remember putting them on.

1. "Le Pere de mes Enfants".

The sad story of a film producer, apparently based on a real character and actual
events. Unfortunately, since putting my French studies "on hold", I have rather
neglected French films. This one reminded me how good they can be.

2. "The Baader-Meinhof Complex".

I thought this was an excellent film, with a useful "making of" extra.
Unfortunately, there seemed to be a technical problem, either just with my copy, or
with the film as a whole. The volume of the dialogue was much lower than the background
sounds....the balance was impossibly wrong, so it was very difficult to hear the
dialogue. Obviously, not as useful as it could have been for a language learner.

Well, whatever one thinks of the politics (and of course we don't discuss politics
here), that period was an important one, and the story fascinating, and at the same
time tragic. I remember those times well, from an English perspective. Revolution was
in the air all over Western Europe, but obviously most violently in West Germany.

I also studied this aspect of German history somewhat in the OU German course I did
quite a few years back, although there is of course a lot that I still don't know about
it. The film was based on a book by Stefan Aust, who also co-operated in making the
film. I think I want to read that book now.

In England, they were always known as the "Baader-Meinhof 'Gang'", and never the RAF -
that would have been too confusing (with the Royal Air Force).

"Baader-Meinhof" is in any case, something of a misnomer, even if Ulrike Meinhof did
become a signicant part of it. As this film portrays it anyway, the original key
figures were Andreas Baader and Gudrun Ensslin, and Meineke's position always seemed a
little precarious. She had only joined the group by accident, almost. A tragic story,
certainly in human terms.

Around the same time I was studying this period, I also read Heinrich Böll's "Die
Verlorene Ehr der Katharina Blum, which deals with a young woman who unknowingly
shelters a suspected terrorist on the run, and get vilified by the "Regenbogenpresse".
I believe
that Böll also was the target of the same popular press.

Edited by montmorency on 15 July 2012 at 2:16am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 22 of 133
17 July 2012 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
2012-07-14-16 Samstag|Sonnabend-Montag|Lørdag-Mondag

Deutsch

I finished the Penguin Classics translation of Effi Briest, plus selected parts again
in German. I'm now re-reading the interesting notes in my German edition. Although the
details were rather different, the story is based on real life events. Fontane seems to
have had a fairly complicated view of Prussian society at the time, and perhaps his
views changed to some extent over time. Interesting to note that Crampas's second was
one Herr Buddenbrooks, which inspired the title of Thomas Mann's famous work.

I had completely forgotten that Instetten was actually sent to prison, but only served
a token 6 weeks, which is exactly what happened in the real case. In neither case did
it do any harm to their careers!

I'm getting the impression that the person writing these notes takes a much more
radical view of Prussian society than did Fontane himself, although he wan't simply a
conservative either. It seems that women were treated very unfairly in this society,
but neither Effi nor Baroness von Briest actually seem to feel all that oppressed, in
spite of everything.

It is interesting that Tony (Antonie) Buddenbrooks in Thomas Mann's book, is twice
divorced, but she is still accepted in polite society. Of course, she was not the
"guilty party", and it was she who divorced her husbands. I had read elsewhere that
divorced women in Germany could be better treated than their counterparts in England at
the time. Of course, poor old Effi was the "guilty party" in this case, and so became
"ruined", in the eyes of society.

Back to the English translation, and I was rather surprised to find they had translated
"Magistratsmitglied" as "magistrate". This was about the worthy Gieshübler, who was
both a "Stadtrat" and a "Magistratsmitglied", which according to all my dictionaries
would mean he was both a town councillor and a member of the city council or municipal
authorities. I assume that Kessin, as a small town, would have its own town council,
but that it would also be part of a larger authority, and Gieshübler was a member of
that also.

There was also a questionable "literary" translation, which they did fully explain in
the notes, but I think would have been better translated literally, and then the
idiomatic meaning explained in a footnote. This is in chapter 17 where Effi and Crampas
are having a picnic lunch after horse riding, and Effi hands Crampas a roll in the lid
of the bread basket, apologising.

He replies "Ein Korbdeckel ist kein Korb".

In the translation, this is: "The giver not the gift is what matters".

However, in the notes, they explain the original, and that it is a reference to the
saying: "Jemandem einen Korb geben", which means idiomatically to turn someone down.

In view of Crampas's later seduction of Effi, this is fairly significant, and it's a
shame it was lost with the rather lame English expression that they used.

However, this is perhaps to be too fussy, and overall, it was a very fair translation.

Dansk

2 chapters of TYSCD plus some vocabulary work.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 23 of 133
17 July 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
2012-07-17 Dienstag|Tirsdag

Dansk

Several more chapters of TYCD, plus related vocabulary work.
The grammar is getting a little more complicated now, but I'm not worrying too much
about the trickier bits for the moment, in favour of just learning vocabulary. I'm
aware that I'll be revisiting this several more times, if not many times.

Deutsch

I have to go on a train journey tomorrow, so I think I'll take my English translations
of Irrungen, Wirrungen, and Unwiederbringlich; something not too demanding in the
presence of what I know will be a lot of distractions on that particular journey.

At home for the moment, I think I'm going to concentrate on my two translations of
Death in Venice. To get in some actual German I listened to some of the (German)
audiobook. I didn't try to do any reading, but concentrated very hard on actual
listening. I found this quite helpful. I think it's just another aspect of "Listening-
Reading", but in this case, without the reading part. Each aspect has its time and
place. I don't think I'd call this exactly "listening like a bloodhound" - that's
slightly different. I'd just call it intense listening or something, not that the name
matters.

Edited by montmorency on 18 July 2012 at 10:34am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4772 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 24 of 133
19 July 2012 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
2012-07-18 Dienstag|Tirsdag

Back from London now. Although it wasn't my reason for going, I thought I should make a
pilgrimage to the famous Foyles Bookshop (Charing Cross Road), which I had never been
to before, and the (apparently relatively new) shop-within-a-shop, Grant and Cutler,
the language bookshop.

Very interesting. Lots of Russian material; and Arabic. Plenty of Portuguese, with the
usual mainstream European languages, and a reasonable amount of the Scandinavian
languages. I didn't happen to notice Chinese, Japanese or Korean sections, but I'd be a
be surprised if they were not represented.

What I did notice were the prices. I didn't see any bargains. If you are coming into
the country with a strong currency (that's almost anything except the £ Sterling), you
might not find them too bad, but....well, I was a bit surprised. At least the coffee is
cheap in the rather charming little coffee shop, and there are free Jazz sessions on
some evenings (including this evening, but I had other plans).

Deutsch

Almost finished one of the translations (Derek Bowman) of "Irrungen, Wirrungen". He
calls it "Entanglements". It is a rather bittersweet story, and I think Fontane is
showing himself at his most humane, and the notes say it's one of his favourite
stories. It's quite short, and also rather celebrates the Berlin of its time.
If only one had a time machine. The translator seems to portray the ordinary people
(with the exception of Lene, the heroine), as speaking in a Cockney-like manner. It
will be interesting to see what the other translation makes of it, and the original,
which I have hardly looked at. Lene, for some reason, apparently speaks in a more less
educated fashion, although she is clearly not of the same class as her lover, Botho,
who is of the nobility.

Edited by montmorency on 19 July 2012 at 3:59am

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version