Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

My Language Crisis (Relatively Speaking)

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6414 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 9 of 31
09 August 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Quote:
People seem to learn Esperanto to go to things like Esperanto congresses or club
meetings.

Not really, that's what happens afterwards (for some). I started learning Esperanto
just for linguistic curiosity and to have a better basis for learning other languages,
I wasn't even aware that anybody still spoke it! Then I used it to talk to people
online (interesting insights from Iranians, Brazilians, Japanese, Kazaks...), read
stuff and the like, for 5 years without going to any meeting. When I did go to a
meeting, a congress of ca. 300 people from 25 countries for one week over New Year's,
it was amazing. So many language geeks and world travelers in one spot! During the day
I might attend a lecture on ethnic minorities or a 60-minute introduction to some
language or other, practise languages at the aligatorejo, listen to a concert in
the evening, watch a Finnish movie with Esperanto subtitles and discuss the best way to
learn Chinese characters until late.

The Esperanto community is not all language geeks - other main streams are math geeks,
physics geeks and programmers, or people who are just interested in foreign cultures,
or idealists who are actively changing the world - but if you like languages, you can
find many like-minded people, more than anywhere else.

Quote:
Is it worth it to put in the effort to language just for fun, although the
chances are that you will not use the language?

Definitely. I study Swahili. It's a lot of fun!

Edited by Sprachprofi on 09 August 2012 at 11:01am

5 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 10 of 31
09 August 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Tyr wrote:
Depends on where you are in life IMO.
If you're a student and you have to e.g. pass French in order to get a decent grade and
so to get a good job and all of that...then I wouldn't go off and start learning
Italian or whatever, just because its more fun. You should concentrate your energies on
the useful and not try and confuse yourself.
If however you're fully settled in your job and have nothing that you HAVE TO study
then definitely study for fun.

Tyr, thanks for your comment.

There is something that I HAVE TO study, which is Japanese. I need Japanese because I
live in Japan, but I don't find it fun to learn, which is what Esperanto is. But
Esperanto doesn't affect my Japanese studies. My fear is that if I study a major
language like French or Spanish, which is more difficult than Esperanto, it WOULD
affect my Japanese studies.
1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 11 of 31
09 August 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
@Iversen - That is something I will consider. I definitely want to learn the major world
languages like French, Spanish, etc. But I need to master Japanese first. When I'm
learning kanji, taking on French verb conjugations is too much. But taking on -as, -is,
-os, -i, -us, and -u is a lot easier. :)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 12 of 31
09 August 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
@Sprachprofi - Thanks for sharing your experience. If I continue my Esperanto studies, I
do hope one day to go to a big Esperanto meeting. They sound like fun. I'm just not in
a position to go to any at the moment or in the near future. Of course, anything can
happen in the future. And of course, I could just enjoy Esperanto for what it is.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6847 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 13 of 31
09 August 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
If you have fun with Esperanto, and it even seems to keep you motivated to study
Japanese, than just keep learning. No need to worry. Some people do crosswords or
sudoku, play instruments, paint, and take part in other activities in their free time -
I learn languages and I'm happy with that. You don't need a reasonable goal for
everything.

I chose Iversen's approach, though. First "big" languages that seem useful for
traveling and at work, and than starting languages that won't probably be that much of
use for me but are simply fun.

Esperanto is actually on my hit list, too. I've read about it just out of linguistic
interest and I am going to learn it someday. I wouldn't start learning it though if I
wasn't interested in the Esperanto community Sprachprofi is writing about. That's what
makes Esperanto attractive for me... but everyone has their own reasons :)

I think you shouldn't be so afraid to start another natural language. If you feel like
French - just start it, you're gonna see how this works out. Romance languages aren't
that difficult (well, I actually did struggle with French whereas Spanish was a walk in
the park up to B2 level, though - but that's due to my lack of motivation I guess, and
some bad experience I made with French in the very beginning). All in all, you'll be
surprised how easy languages may be when you compare them with Japanese (as it's really
not just about Esperanto).

Concluding, don't overanalyze and enjoy :)

//All corrections of my English are welcome and helpful - send me a PM,
please.//

4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6647 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 31
09 August 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
@Iversen - That is something I will consider. I definitely want to learn the major world
languages like French, Spanish, etc. But I need to master Japanese first. When I'm
learning kanji, taking on French verb conjugations is too much. But taking on -as, -is,
-os, -i, -us, and -u is a lot easier. :)

Remember I mentioned the situation where a girl/boyfriend or your present location change your priorities? Your are in that situation now because you live in Japan. The language there may be difficult and you may not fancy studying it (or its arcane writing system in particular), but it would be idiotic not to learn as much as possible while you are in the country. And in that situation Esperanto can function as an easy diversion when you just can't stand more Japanese.

Edited by Iversen on 09 August 2012 at 12:38pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 15 of 31
09 August 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Julie and Iversen, thank you for your comments!

@Julie - You might have just swayed me to try French as my diversion. You are right; it
may not be as easy as Esperanto, but it certainly is not as difficult as Japanese!

Besides, if my priority is Japanese, most of my time will go to that language.
Therefore, it doesn't matter what language I do on the side, because I will learn it
slowly and leisurely. :)

Thank you very much!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5476 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 31
09 August 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
But I do need a nice diversion from Japanese, so I have made an
exception: Esperanto.
I've studied it for two months so far, and I enjoy it.

On the other hand, I wonder if I could just replace Esperanto with, say, French (a
language I know I could use while traveling to Europe or other places, without any
extra effort), while using the same amount of time as to not take away from my Japanese
studies. While French, on the surface, looks cool to me, would the verb conjugations
and grammar drive me crazy, or worse, drive me to study French harder, to the detriment
of my Japanese studies?

Like you, I have a practical, necessary language. In my case, it's French. And a solid
B2 isn't good enough for my needs: I can say pretty much anything I want to say, with a
few seconds thought, but I really want to be able to say it fluently and well. So I
have a ways to go yet.

Along the way, I've learned that taking a language to C1 is a huge investment of
time and effort, and there's no way I could personally justify that for a language that
I'd only use now and then. Sure, if I lived in the southwestern US, I could justify
conversational Spanish (maybe B1), and if I lived in another country, I'd definitely
learn the language.

I also have a wildly impractical language, as you can see from my profile. :-) I wanted
to try out something that was ideographic and non-Indo European. And I wanted enough
signs to get the "flavor" of ideographic writing without the disgusting necessity of
memorizing 2,000 of them. So Egyptian represented a nice, safe compromise, with a
couple hundred important signs. I don't need to work on listening comprehension, or
writing, or fluent speech, or multiple registers—I just want to be able read relatively
formal texts using a dictionary. Call it one skill, reading, at A1 or A2. That's no
threat to my French, and thanks to how I'm using Anki, I should be able to put Egyptian
down at any time without forgetting it.

I think you could safely learn conversational "tourist" French—enough to talk to people
about concrete stuff and to travel almost entirely in French—without threatening your
Japanese studies. That's about B1. You could get there with Assimil and a modest amount
of whatever study techniques you like best. There's not much danger of real, life-
eating obsession if your goals are less than B2.

The hard part of French is the spelling and pronunciation. Once you get past that, it's
fundamentally an easy language. The grammar is familiar enough to an English speaker,
and the "big" words can often be guessed. Sure, there are lots of irregular verbs, but
you can pick those up as you need them, and there are patterns.

So yes, I think you could learn French to a useful level without interfering with your
Japanese. It's a fun language, and it gives you access to several interesting cultures
and a wide variety of media.

EDIT: Really, don't worry about French verbs. If you use input-oriented methods,
they're not that bad at all. I won't try to explain why they're not that bad,
but basically, the whole system is simpler than it looks, and seriously irregular verbs
are either very common (and hence no problem) or mostly avoidable (and hence no
problem).

Edited by emk on 09 August 2012 at 1:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version