bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5324 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 25 of 84
30 September 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
What you're saying is that if I had been born in Japan and spent my entire life there, my
physical attributes would have no effect on how Japanese I sound, right? Sure, I would have a perfect
Japanese accent, but isn't it possible the characteristics of my voice would be different from people with
Japanese physical characteristics?

This is an absolute truth: it doesn't matter what your physical attributes are (except for obvious defects), if you
grow up learning a language, you will sound like a native. There are tons of people who are adopted into
families of different ethnicity and sound just like them. This - is a fact.

Hiiro Yui wrote:
Besides, different Japanese people have different voices. How am I supposed to know
which voice type to mimic based on my voice? To be clear, I'm not talking about accent differences. I mean, I
will try to sound as close as possible to Japanese people, but just as there are physical limits to me sounding
like a child or old man, aren't there physical limits to me sounding like Japanese people my age? Is it possible
for me to sound so much like them that I can't recognize a recording of my own voice?

And this is exactly why I think shadowing is BS. Ok, shadowing can help you improve, somewhat, but it is
NOT the key to a perfect accent. On the contrary, one can only attain a near-native accent in their own
natural voice after having been exposed to various different voices -- it's not the voice that matters, but the
underlying phonological processes. For instance (if you forget about gender-specific or age-specific
sociolinguistic differences), an adult man could sound native from only listening to young girls, or a young girl
would sound native even if she were only exposed to old men. Shadowing cannot be an exercise in imitating
people's voices. Ultimately, you need to reproduce instinctively the phonological processes that others use,
whether you do it in a high or low pitch voice is irrelevant. What matters is how much nasality you give your
vowels, how much aspiration you use after consonants, where your affricates are produced, etc. And this,
you can do anywhere, anytime, when listening to anyone. It doesn't have to be a rehearsed speech, it can be
a word or a phrase you heard someone say and you try to repeat it with the same phonetic and phonological
features, and whether you do this in a high or low pitch, male or female, old or young voice is irrelevant.

Edited by Arekkusu on 30 September 2012 at 5:27am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 26 of 84
30 September 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu,
Thanks for your reply. I sure like to think that my pronunciation improved since you gave me those tips. I'm proud of my t sounds now because no one has said anything is wrong with them yet. I heavily rehearsed those news stories so I would remember the pitches. I'm still in the phase of experimenting with everything, so I haven't incorporated that style into my unrehearsed speaking. I sound really akward, but I guess I should go ahead and make a video of it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4614 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 27 of 84
30 September 2012 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Hiiro Yui wrote:
What you're saying is that if I had been born in Japan and spent my entire
life there, my
physical attributes would have no effect on how Japanese I sound, right? Sure, I would have a perfect
Japanese accent, but isn't it possible the characteristics of my voice would be different from people with

This is an absolute truth: it doesn't matter what your physical attributes are (except for obvious defects), if you
grow up learning a language, you will sound like a native.

Here is proof - 2 white men raised in Japan

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5636 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 28 of 84
30 September 2012 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Cool video, thanks for sharing it! I liked listening to David speak, even if I don't know enough Japanese (read: any at all) to be suitably impressed. However, it looks like the other guy, Ken Tanaka (or David Ury) is not actually Japanese... a few sources on the internet claim that he is a native English speaker who invented the character of "Ken Tanaka". Nothing against that, of course – and his Japanese is clearly very impressive – just wanted to spread the facts.

Wulfgar wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Hiiro Yui wrote:
What you're saying is that if I had been born in Japan and spent my entire
life there, my

Here is proof - 2 white men raised in Japan

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5324 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 29 of 84
30 September 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Cool video, thanks for sharing it! I liked listening to David speak, even
if I don't know enough Japanese (read: any at all) to be suitably impressed. However,
it looks like the other guy, Ken Tanaka (or David Ury) is not actually Japanese... a
few sources on the internet claim that he is a native English speaker who invented the
character of "Ken Tanaka". Nothing against that, of course – and his Japanese is
clearly very impressive – just wanted to spread the facts.

Wulfgar wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Hiiro Yui wrote:
What you're saying is that if I
had been born in Japan and spent my entire
life there, my
physical attributes would have no effect on how Japanese I sound, right? Sure, I would
have a perfect
Japanese accent, but isn't it possible the characteristics of my voice would be
different from people with

This is an absolute truth: it doesn't matter what your physical attributes are (except
for obvious defects), if you

Here is proof - 2 white men raised in
Japan

Yes, Ken Tanaka is definitely a character.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5324 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 30 of 84
01 October 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I was finally able to listen to your recording.

First of all, it's not nearly clear enough for us to provide you with any decent analysis. You'll have to make another clearer recording.

Still, a few things pop out.

-Rounded vowels eu and u are not rounded properly: eu is not rounded and [y] is pronounced too far back as a [ u ] (ou).

-R is not right -- the friction is way too intense. It should be closer to an approximant. This means that the vowels on either side are too tense as well and the rhythm of words is halted at every r because there is too much emphasis on them. They also tend to be too devoiced.

-l is sometimes off (too apical?). More obvious in "particulier" as the l should be slightly palatalized.

-Nasal vowels are not spot on, and an n or m is often heard after them. Native speakers stop nasality (more or less) exactly when the vowel ends; in your case, air continues to exit the nose as you form the following consonants (so before a p, you get an m).

I could tell you more if you make a clearer recording where you speak more slowly and more naturally.

Edited by Arekkusu on 02 October 2012 at 6:39pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5324 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 31 of 84
02 October 2012 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa, I just realized your recording was from 6 weeks ago. Still, many people have come to give you advice and we'd like to know if you've made progress since :)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4999 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 32 of 84
02 October 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

-R is not right -- the affrication is way too intense. It should be closer to an
approximant. This means that the vowels on either side are too tense as well and the
rhythm of words is halted at every r because there is too much emphasis on them.

-l is sometimes off (too apical?). More obvious as the l should be palatalized as in
"particulier".

How can "r" be affricated?
"l" is too hard probably, can we say so?

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version