Norway
Joined 6525 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 57 of 84
11 October 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I've said it again and again, shadowing is a waste of time! I'm trying to be open-minded and say that it might sometimes help some people with certain problems (although I can't give you any examples), but shadowing as a way to improve pronunciation is, as far as I'm concerned, for all intents and purposes, more or less a hoax.

Be careful with what you say. I completely agree with you that shadowing as a means of improving your pronunciation is a waste of time, but that hardly means the method itself is. Shadowing was developed by Prof. Arguelles and I can't recall him saying that improving pronunciation was the point (or even 'a' point) of it. I think shadowing is a great tool and not at all a waste of time. It's not, however, going to improve your pronunciation. But I'm pretty sure it improves listening comprehension, vocabulary and grammar.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5324 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 58 of 84
11 October 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
I've said it again and again, shadowing is a waste of time! I'm trying to be open-minded and say that it might sometimes help some people with certain problems (although I can't give you any examples), but shadowing as a way to improve pronunciation is, as far as I'm concerned, for all intents and purposes, more or less a hoax.

Be careful with what you say. I completely agree with you that shadowing as a means of improving your pronunciation is a waste of time, but that hardly means the method itself is. Shadowing was developed by Prof. Arguelles and I can't recall him saying that improving pronunciation was the point (or even 'a' point) of it. I think shadowing is a great tool and not at all a waste of time. It's not, however, going to improve your pronunciation. But I'm pretty sure it improves listening comprehension, vocabulary and grammar.

Ok, point taken. But then where did people get the idea that it would help with pronunciation? If you look online, most of the references to shadowing have to do with pronunciation.

Prof. Arguelles himself says on his website: "My Chinese pronunciation is confessedly atrocious, but it is infinitely better when I am shadowing than when I am not" (here). This implies that when he's not shadowing, it's back to normal.

Initially, shadowing was (and still is) used by interpreters to practice listening and speaking at the same time.

Edited by Arekkusu on 11 October 2012 at 4:09pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 84
11 October 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Ok, point taken. But then where did people get the idea that it would help with pronunciation? If you look online, most of the references to shadowing have to do with pronunciation.

As Arguelles himself pointed out somewhere, shadowing kills two birds with one stone (maybe even more birds?). Listen, speak along, read, comprehend (vocabulary and grammar!) - all at the same time, and at fairly natural speed (only your sources set the limit). And you can do it without going to classes. Basically I see it as the language version of my own "musical shadowing" (just playing along until it sounds right) - the intonation/tone/whatever isn't the focus but rather getting up to speed, and for that matter, improve your "listening comprehension".

There are probably better alternatives to practicing pronunciation (if that's at all something that shadowing does).... individual sounds, prosody, (reading, comprehension etc.), but when you're on your own, this is a method to "save time", and get your speech up to speed.

In all my years since I became interested in languages, no teacher has ever spoken about prosody. You can spend hours on individual sounds (or words) - something I belive that some people are doing with "tone intense" languagese like Mandarin - and still not be able to say (nor understand) a single sentence, since things happen as soon as you put words together. If you never try saying sentences out loud, at roughly the same speed as natives do, you might end up not even sounding like you're speaking their language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4771 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 60 of 84
12 October 2012 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
So, those who say shadowing is no good for improving pronunciation, what is good for improving pronunciation (especially if you don't have a teacher to ask, given that this site is aimed at self-learners)?

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 61 of 84
12 October 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Hiiro: Chill out.... And isn't the point of getting feedback at this stage to improve, not to have wounded pride and want revenge simply because you're not perfect already? Any flaws and strengths in other people's language skills don't make your own any better or worse.
I think you missed the tone of my post. I don't believe using smileys is ever necessary, so I'll continue to count on the readers to correctly interpret what I'm saying. How could you have read my message to Wulfgar and thought I was angry (hint: I'm not angry here either)? I am taking their feedback in. I just don't want people to think that was my best effort at speed or scope. Other people's strengths can inspire me to do better. Their flaws can teach me what not to do. I used "revenge" in the sense that by pointing out their flaws I can help them improve, too. Besides, there are too few people here willing to make videos of themselves.

Arekkusu, technically I don't shadow. I have just one recording of a newscaster who's voice I like. I then try to imagine what he would sound like if he were reading all these different news stories. Anyway, maybe we should move this discussion to someplace more visible to Japanese learners.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5073 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 62 of 84
12 October 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
I used "revenge" in the sense that by pointing out their flaws I can
help them improve, too.

Revenge in order to help. That's a new concept for me.

Are you sure revenge is the word you really wanted to use?

R.
==
4 persons have voted this message useful

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 63 of 84
12 October 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
hrhenry, so you didn't notice any playfulness, either? Think about it like this: Why would I wish to hurt someone who helped me? Arekkusu is good at pronunciation and accents. I'm good at vocabulary and listening comprehension. We could help each other if we all overcome our fear of embarrassment.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5324 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 64 of 84
12 October 2012 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
hrhenry, so you didn't notice any playfulness, either? Think about it
like this: Why would I wish to hurt someone who helped me? Arekkusu is good at
pronunciation and accents. I'm good at vocabulary and listening comprehension. We could
help each other if we all overcome our fear of embarrassment.

If nobody got it, maybe the problem is with the message, not the reader.

Edited by Arekkusu on 12 October 2012 at 4:17am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version