Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
84 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 10 11 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5073 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 65 of 84
12 October 2012 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
hrhenry, so you didn't notice any playfulness, either?

No, no I didn't. Truthfully, I don't think you meant it playfully, either. Rather, I
think you're tacking it onto the discussion after the fact to CYA. At least that how it
looks from where I sit.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 66 of 84
12 October 2012 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
Wulfgar, not you too! Come on, man! You weren't supposed to see that. God, can't a guy post something on youtube in private anymore?
When I wrote this, it was in response to Wulfgar responding to an embarrassing video I posted on Youtube. How could I be angry with someone pointing out my mistakes in an "Advice Center" thread? How could I be surprised that videos on Youtube are not private? Why did I thank Arekkusu in message 43? I just don't use smileys, that's all.

Arekkusu, until now I didn’t know you didn’t get it. After all this time, why would I suddenly want to hurt you?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5324 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 67 of 84
12 October 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
Hiiro Yui wrote:
Wulfgar, not you too! Come on, man! You weren't
supposed to see that. God, can't a guy post something on youtube in private anymore?
When I wrote this, it was in response to Wulfgar responding to an embarrassing
video I posted on Youtube. How could I be angry with someone pointing out my mistakes in
an "Advice Center" thread? How could I be surprised that videos on Youtube are not
private? Why did I thank Arekkusu in message 43? I just don't use smileys, that's all.

Arekkusu, until now I didn’t know you didn’t get it. After all this time, why would I
suddenly want to hurt you?

I'm not hurt. No worries.
1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4614 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 68 of 84
20 October 2012 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Hiiro Yui wrote:
Wulfgar, not you too! Come on, man! You weren't supposed to see that. God, can't a guy post
something on youtube in private anymore?

I think putting the word "naked" in the title might decrease your hits. Give that a try...
Hiiro Yui wrote:
Oh, and don't worry. I'm not going to pressure you or Wulfgar into making embarrassing
unscripted videos so I can have revenge. Or should I?

Ok, I owe you one. But not right now man. For what it's worth, I got the joke immediately. But I admit when Volte
and others started jumping on you, I questioned my interpretation. I'm embarrassed. Enough to get out of said
video? I hope so.
Arekkusu wrote:
I've said it again and again, shadowing is a waste of time!

That's very s_allardesque of you not to define shadowing, or mention what aspects of pronunciation you claim will
not be improved by it. I'll assume you mean all forms of shadowing and all aspects of pronunciation and give you
one example that counters your claim. Pimsleur requires shadowing, and most agree that it improves pronunciation.
hrhenry wrote:

Are you sure revenge is the word you really wanted to use?

He probably meant "fraud"

Edited by Wulfgar on 20 October 2012 at 5:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

San Francisco
Japan
Joined 4473 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 69 of 84
21 October 2012 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
まぁまぁかな

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 70 of 84
21 October 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
This discussion is hilarious. Keep it going.

Hiiro Yui
Diglot
United States
Joined 4660 days ago

111 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 71 of 84
27 October 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
It may be hard to tell, but San Francisco's comment there is his reply to my video. I made sure he watched it and asked him to give his honest opinion, and that's all he could say, really. Asking him for more detail would be pushing too much, I think.

Here is a more accurate clip of what I sound like. Well,...this was a week ago, so...it doesn't capture all the practice I put into my sh's this week...and I've been working on my volume issues since then, too...uh, yeah. Anyway, this is just for future reference. Should I start a new Advice Center thread specific to Japanese?

atama warui, specifically, what's funny? My patience is practically endless, but vague comments are problematic. I try to read them from every angle and try to give the benefit of the doubt where ever possible, so maybe you were talking about my video being funny. Or were you entertained by how I fended off hrhenry? Actually, I'm a little curious: as a person who loses his temper very easily, what do you think of the way I calmly handle these situations?

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4692 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 72 of 84
10 January 2013 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Everyone brags about the ''correct'' pronunciation,
but what about intonation?

Pronunciation can be ''learned'' if you use pronunciation dictionaries,
so you can learn how to pronounce individual/isolated words in a natural/correct way.

But, the way these individual words are put together into sentences (intonation),
is very difficult to master:

1. there are no books ''improve your intonation''
2. intonation varies (there are zillions of possible patterns, since you can combine many words, you get many combinations)
3. native speakers' intonation is extremely variable, even affected by emotions and stress (even if we don't bother with regional differences)

So, you can pronounce everything correctly (no accent)
and still sound foreign (because your intonation is strange/weird).

That's why the native-like accent is hard to acquire unless you're surrounded constantly by native speakers, and ''absorb'' the language naturally.
Flat-intonation will always sound better than an unsuccessful attempt at L2 intonation (which may even be perceived as mockery if exaggerated).
What people say about intonation learning: the harder you try, the more exaggerated and forced it will sound.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 10 January 2013 at 8:15am

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version