Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Watching Films for the 6 Week Challenge

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: How should films be logged in coming 6WCs?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [59.26%]
1 [3.70%]
7 [25.93%]
3 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6414 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 18
26 August 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
According to the official 6 Week Challenge rules, watching films shall not be logged as
100% of the time, because in films there can be minutes at a time that don't contain
any target language. Unlike classroom time or time spent on textbooks, those minutes
are also not spent teaching you ABOUT the language - they plainly have nothing to do
with target-language study. By extracting only the spoken bits of a typical anime using
subs2srs, I typically found an episode of 20 minutes (23 with intro & outro) to contain
ca. 8 minutes of talking. Even if we say 10 minutes, taking into account that normal
conversations would contain pauses that subs2srs is cutting out, it's clear that 20
minutes of anime is not giving us the chance to pick up as much language as we could
from a 20 minute conversation, 20 minutes spent with Anki, 20 minutes reading Teach
Yourself, 20 minutes spent reading a target-language book or 20 minutes spent listening
to an audiobook. Additionally, people sometimes watch subtitled films as a way to
relax, without paying so much attention to the language, while traditional language-
learning materials clearly require 100% attention. That is the background for this
rule.

I've been watching a lot of anime for the current challenge as an experiment and I have
logged the time as 50-60% on average, depending on whether I was watching the films
with/without English subtitles and attentively listening for recognizable words or not.
However, I noted that some others are logging their video-watching time as 100%. This
skews the challenge - to keep up with them, I would have to spend twice as much time on
anime as they do. So I would like to discuss this rule and make a community
decision, which will be binding for the next 6 Week Challenge
. In the interest of
fairness, people found to be logging incorrectly will then be excluded from the
highscore - I will modify the bot so that they will still be able to log their hours
privately but without appearing in the big listing, so that their inflated numbers
don't affect other participants.

Please cast your vote above on how TV time should be counted and I will abide by the
vote. Note that this is about pure watch time. If you like to pause, rewind,
take notes, look up words and the like, you will be able to award yourself extra time
for that.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 27 August 2012 at 6:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6383 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 18
26 August 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Language materials vary greatly in quality, and in what you expect to get out of them. Trying to normalize this quickly becomes an exercise in futility.

It's truly rare for me to learn more than a couple of points from a 20-minute conversation, even with a tutor and at a level where it can feasibly all be in the target language. If it's a casual conversation with a stranger, I learn even less.

If I spend 20 minutes with a reference grammar, I'll be lucky to read as many phrases in the target language as I'd see in a 20-minute anime - and the ones in the anime would generally reflect actual use, which is more than I can say for coverage of aspect in any grammar I've read of Polish.

It doesn't make sense to count time when you're not paying attention, of course.

Perhaps classroom time should also be re-normed? I've been in precious few classrooms in my life where no time is wasted on fiddling with projectors, taking attendance, and other sundry things which are neither in nor about the target subject.

Trying to take this concept much further leads to ridiculous situations. Is Assimil worth twice as much time as teach yourself, or five times as much as Rosetta Stone? How does one count using Iversen's "bloodhound" method to follow incomprehensible audio with ones' full attention? Are anki reps of wordlists actually the only thing worth counting at full percentages?

6wc rules wrote:

You can do any activity - studying textbooks, doing Anki, Listening-Reading... if you're watching a movie with subtitles or listening to podcasts in the background or the like though, please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes. For 60 minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed on learning your target language.

There's something to be said for keeping it simple. Personally, I find it really tedious to constantly round down, say, textbook study because the textbooks contain superfluous fluff. And, to avoid absurd inflation, it's worth not rounding anything up, despite tasks and methods varying in quality and efficiency.

5 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5926 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 18
26 August 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
To be honest, I am not that bothered by it. I am happy to accept what people log at face
value. Even if the rules are changed, people can still make things up if they care more
about winning than learning. If people are logging several hours of TV a day and are
still not making much progress in their target language, achieving a top score in the 6WC
is something of a hollow victory for them anyway. I found the progress that the Finnish
challenge participants made earlier in the year with limited hours to be far more
motivational than seeing people log hundreds of hours in a 6 week period.

The things I like about the set up of the 6WC at present is that the logging and scoring
mechanism is just so simple. Whatever is decided, I hope it stays that way. I don't want
to waste too much study time worrying about the relative worth of different activities -
which is open to so much debate anyway.
6 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4659 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 4 of 18
26 August 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
That depends, if I use subtitles in other language, I only count 50% of the time (listening part). On the other hand, if I use TL subtitles, I count 100% (listening + reading).

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6414 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 5 of 18
26 August 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
To be clear, I don't want to discuss the relative worth of Assimil over Rosetta Stone or
the like. This is not about resulting language knowledge but distilled study time and
effort, with the bigger goal being to make it equally possible to hit the top 5 no matter
if your chosen language-learning method is studying Teach Yourself or watching Naruto.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 26 August 2012 at 9:31pm

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6847 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 6 of 18
26 August 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Could you link the official 6WC rules? I've only found this: "if you're watching a
movie with subtitles or listening to podcasts in the background or the like though,
please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes." and that's pretty much what I
do.

If I watch or listen to something in the background, I log only fraction of the
minutes. However, if I watch some videos while staying focused and without subtitles or
with TL subtitles I usually log the length of the video as the time spent on learning.
I find it fair as I quite often pause movies, look up some vocabulary (sometimes keep
looking for more and more examples on the Internet), add vocab items to Anki, from time
to time pause the video to repeat aloud parts of dialogues in order to improve my
pronunciation etc. Despite of all these activities "around the video" which usually
make the actual watching time significantly longer, I log only the video length,
usually rounded down. I just find it much simpler to log the time after the movie than
to look constantly at the watch or, what's even worse, give a rough estimation.

I voted for "ca. 80% of time" but I honestly think we should rely on users' own
estimations, and maybe just provide some more specific examples of language activities
and the percentage of the learning time that should be logged. E.g. I constantly reduce
my logged reading time because I often read e.g. in the train and quite easily get
distracted or read very slowly, so it wouldn't be fair to log all the time spent. The
same applies to the Internet: I log less time that I actually spent browsing through
and reading various websites. My video time is, on the other hand, very effective as
explained above. And my TV time usually doesn't really differ much from podcasts /audio
books as I watch mostly news in my target languages, which requires a lot of focus and
the rate of words per minute is much higher.

Well, I can only speak for myself. Movies & TV stand for about 27% of my language
learning at the moment, and my 6WC target language learning does not include movies or
TV. I don't know how many hours are logged by the others (I'm gonna have a look at
that) but I would be very cautious with limiting any kind of language-related
activities: what about music than? Radio? Browsing through the Internet? What about
anything different than using traditional language-learning materials? It's a hard
call.

Edited by Julie on 26 August 2012 at 9:43pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5710 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 18
26 August 2012 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I started out by logging 50%, then I realized I was pausing the video frequently to look up words or write down expressions, repeating or memorizing bits of dialogue etc just as Julie does, and so I switched to logging it as 100% of the video length even though the actual time I spend working with the video is longer.

I spend more time working with the language from 30 minutes of video, than from being in a language class for 30 minutes, because I finish the assignments much faster than everyone else and then have to find something to do without being completely distracted. I do use language-related activities, but I don't fully concentrate on them, otherwise I wouldn't notice when everyone is finished and we start the next activity.
But then again, that time is used for things like repetition, writing practice - automatization of skills. Do those also not count 100% because I don't focus 100%?

When I was in France for a day trip, I didn't speak French myself. I only roughly logged the time I spent reading the language and listening to conversations/a tour guide. But my internal narration was in French for the entire time!

My reading speed in Swedish is improving from day to day, so my former method of averaging the time I needed for 10 pages and then multiplying it for the number of pages with actual text in the book doesn't work anymore. And I don't feel like using a stopwatch, stopping it everytime somebody wants to start a conversation with me etc.
And of course I don't count the time I spend talking about the language content I just worked through, even though I know mediation improves my recall of the content noticeably.

... things like that were what made me give up logging this time around.

Edited by Bao on 26 August 2012 at 10:36pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 18
26 August 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I have differentiated according to my level and what I do with the subtitles. Russian film with Russian
subtitles = 100%. French film with English subtitles = 50%. English film with Norwegian subtitles. 0%. I
have voted for 100% though, because that is simple and fair. I am more hesitant to music actually, because
my brain tends to block out the words after a while, as I suspect is the case for a lot of people, particularly
when they listen to it for a couple of hours straight.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version