Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Watching Films for the 6 Week Challenge

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: How should films be logged in coming 6WCs?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [59.26%]
1 [3.70%]
7 [25.93%]
3 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

18 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6542 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 18
28 August 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
The question is about how to log pure watching time, if you're not rewinding, not looking up stuff in a dictionary in between, not pausing to make notes and so on.

... is that language study?
I'm genuinely curious: Are there people out there who, using target language media with the aim of improving their language skills, do not end up doing those things?
Yes. It's just like intensive vs extensive reading.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4854 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 18
29 August 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
I have been generally logging films as the duration of the feature. I am not so sure
that 100 minutes spent on a textbook are superior to 100 minutes spent watching a
native language film. Textbook time certainly has more "content", but is content the
end all and be all of language learning? I need both textbooks and media (such as
films, music and tv) when I learn a language. I get the structural concepts from the
textbooks, but I get language I use from media. What usually happens is that I
learn a word/phrase/grammatical point from a textbook, but I usually don't internalize
it until I come across it in a natural context.

Quiet times during a film are part of the experience: they set the mood, and help tell
the story. They are as worthwhile as facial expressions and gestures in a
conversation. And even a teaching video such as French in Action has quiet sequences
while the characters are wandering about a city, etc. The makers of FIA clearly
considered the quiet to be a valid part of language learning, probably because they
help to put us in the right frame of mind for learning.

So my rambling post comes down to one thing: even the quiet parts of a native film are
a part of the language experience because they put us in the right frame of mind. (I
do believe, for the same reason, that dubbed films are less valuable. But I haven't
yet watched any).

(EDIT: Incidentally, I do cut my time when listening to music, when I am
listening more passively. In those cases I take a guess as to the amount of time I was
losing focus. Other times, when I am actively concentrating, or following with lyrics,
etc, I count the time as 100%).

Edited by Jeffers on 29 August 2012 at 10:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version