United States
Joined 7148 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 86
21 December 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
For 2013:

French Get French Without Toil, Using French, and New French with Ease solidly under my belt. Get very comfortable with L'Etranger, Le Petit Prince, and Les Liaisons Dangerouse and perhaps a couple more books. I'm sure there will be some more variance here. Perhaps get comfortable with Jules Verne's Le Tour du Monde en 80 jours et Voyage au Centre de la Terre.

Spanish Get through the FSI replacement, variation, translation, and response drills. Listen/Read Don Quixote and be able to understand the majority of it with ease.

Esperanto Get Pasaporto al la Tuta Mondo, Jen Nia Mondo, Teach Yourself Esperanto under my belt. Read the book, Pasxoj al Plena Posedo through at least once. Be happy listening to Esperanto podcasts.

English Finish the current trip the Federalist Papers and On Liberty by John Stuart Mill. Something else here too, but not sure what yet.

Edited by luke on 21 December 2012 at 4:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6418 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 86
21 December 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
My goals:
Portuguese: reach advanced fluency
Italian: reach advanced fluency, pass CELI exam
Turkish: reach basic fluency
Swahili: move to intermediate level
Hindi: return to it after two years pause
Arabic - Egyptian: move to intermediate level
Arabic - return to MSA to reach intermediate level
French - maintain basic fluency

I may "flirt" with Persian.
Greek Koine is still waiting...

Edited by Przemek on 21 December 2012 at 5:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4375 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 11 of 86
21 December 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
French: consider a minor focus on gaining an accent that's français français instead of the Québécois
and Acadien French I so adore
Spanish: acquire a better accent that isn't Panhispanic, read more Bolaño and learn prosody so that I can
write some love poems to mi amor de México
Portuguese: Master the small differences and false friends amongst Romance languages, gain more
slang
Italian: Again, master the small differences and false friends amongst Romance languages, gain more
slang
German: Go to Germany to work, continue to Skype friends weekly and write to my penpal
Malay: Return in the spring time when school's out to acquire a more secure proficieny
Arabic: Acquire proficieny in reading/writing MSA and spoken Egyptian
Russian: Maintain correspondences via post and Skype to maintain proficiency in Russian
Hindi: Maintain correspondences via post and Skype to maintain proficiency in Hindi, go out with cute
Hindi-speaking girl from my linguistic classes :P

With 127 days of summer, the languages I want to start studying:
Mandarin Chinese
Czech
Hebrew (a return after having studied it for a year 2011-2012)
Yiddish
Hungarian
Turkish
Swahili
Mongolian

Then next December, with approximately 42 days of winter break from uni:
Japanese
Navajo
Lithuanian
2 persons have voted this message useful

zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4543 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 86
21 December 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
My goals are fairly simple I think

Japanese: start spending time with more native materials, and hopefully achieve an advanced level by no later than
june

Spanish: bring Spanish to an intermediate level, hopefully by april
Mandarin: start after Spanish, also hoping for an intermediate level this year, however, I hope more for speaking
than writing

thats it, I think Ill probably get into cantonese and korean in about a year and a half, considering if I dont decide to
take Spanish or mandarin farther

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5903 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 13 of 86
21 December 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I plan to read and listen to more Japanese, make a large dent in Korean, continue the
eternal slog that is Chinese, get to a respectable level in Spanish, tinker more with
Persian. And keep flirting to a minimum.
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4579 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 14 of 86
21 December 2012 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
French:

Focus more on Quebecois and other accents, listen to radio/watch tv without "paying attention"

I'm really going to work on getting a C2 by the end of 2013, but that may not happen if I don't visit France.

Italian:

Get as far as I can in Perfectionnement, get familiar with Neapolitan, Roman, & Abruzzese/Molisano dialects. Watch a bunch of movies/shows and listen to radio stations in the North/south of Italy, New York, Australia, etc. Ultimately, I'd like to finish C1.

Spanish:

Try to finish Perfectionnement, get accustomed to Chilean/Argentine speech, watch a few telenovelas. I'm learning this language mainly to watch telenovelas and for employment. I'd be fine with B2 or whatever it takes for me to speak what I know fluently and watch Univision/soccer.

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5199 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 15 of 86
21 December 2012 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
My goals are fairly modest. Inspired by Emk, my wife and I will converse only in Mandarin starting on January 1st. I think this will really catapult my Chinese, and around February 15th, my mother-in-law, who speaks only Mandarin, is coming to visit, so I'm looking forward to having some more nuanced conversation.

All of this is in preparation for my "3 Month Mission" this summer in Taiwan. I'll be going to Taiwan in June and staying for 90 days. During that time I plan to speak exclusively Chinese, which is why it is so important I develop conversational fluency before then. I'm hoping by the time I get back from Taiwan, I'll be comfortable saying that I "speak" Chinese. And then I'll start preparing for the HSK level 6 (B2) exam, in March of 2014.

Going to be a great year! Good luck to everyone.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Onrust
United States
Joined 4362 days ago

14 posts - 42 votes
Studies: German

Message 16 of 86
21 December 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
For 2013 I'm planning to continue my slog through the German language. Just last night I finished lesson 100 of
German with Ease (passive wave). Today I started doing a second active wave because I felt I hadn't absorbed
enough in the first two waves. I am also going to start reading books with a dictionary. I already have Der Besuch
der alten Dame, which I used in a high school German class but have completely forgot. I'd like to find other books
around the same reading level (not Harry Potter). I'll continue to use the Deutsche Welle podcasts, which have been
helpful as they have transcripts. And then I hope, after having enough input, to active my German. I'm lucky in that I
have German-speaking parents to practice with. Activation is going to be the hardest part for me because I'm
naturally reserved.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version