United Kingdom
Joined 4852 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 17 of 86
21 December 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
French (my main goal this year): First of all, I have to watch another 25 films
or so, and read about 47 books to complete my half challenge in French. To assist in
this I want to finish Assimil FWE, and work on Assimil FWT as well. Finish levels II
and III of Pimsleur. Keep listening, watching and reading loads. I'd like to arrange
a couple days in France at some point, but we'll see.

Hindi: I'm doing a half super challenge in Hindi, so I need to get moving.
Lots of books to read and films to watch. I want to revitalize my Hindi in a 6wc,
during which I hope to finish Teach Yourself Hindi finally (been working on that bloody
textbook for over a decade!) The supporting podcasts by Rupert Snell should help.

Ancient Greek Over the past few years I have really changed my approach to
learning languages, and I'd like to revitalize my Greek studies with my newfound
skills. I want to spend some time reading Greek, particularly from JB Lightfoot's
collection of the Apostolic Fathers. I might also work on Peter Jones' textbook to
review the basics, and reopen the Reading Greek series (by JACT).

Sanskrit Assimil is supposed to be releasing a Sanskrit book this year. Very
tempting, but it might just have to wait until next year (when, hopefully, my French
will be good enough to use it!)

German Um... I don't want to forget what I know, but .... time will be an
issue. Anyway, will continue to listen to German music!
1 person has voted this message useful

jhaberstro
United States
Joined 4336 days ago

112 posts - 154 votes 
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 18 of 86
21 December 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Goal: to become conversational in French. This will be my first foreign language that I've surpassed an A1
level. Luckily, I've all ready gotten over the hump that most first timers encounter: consistency. I've been practicing
at least 30 minutes a day for the past couple of months, so all I need now is time (and perhaps an hour a day
instead of 30 minutes).

Sub-goals:
• Finish Assimil French with Ease -- I am almost done with the passive phase at the moment
• Work through Assimil Using French
• Finish FSI Basic French -- I am half way through unit 2, so I still have quite a ways to go.
• Read Le Petit Prince
• Read L'Etranger
• Read Chronique d'une mort annoncée -- a book my french roommate from this summer gave me as a goal to
read when I started to gain interest in French. I suspect this goal might be something that will be more feasible in

Edited by jhaberstro on 21 December 2012 at 10:25pm

Kc2012
Diglot
Groupie
South Africa
Joined 4416 days ago

44 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Dutch, Mandarin, Russian

Message 19 of 86
22 December 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
I'm on intensive Russian learning right now and I intend to keep it up in 2013. I plan to go at the reading and listening quite hard. I have done *some* speaking but intend to begin with regular Skype sessions at around the middle of the year, or before!

Also, I have an Afrikaans exam close to the end of next year, so I have a whole bunch of books lined up to read in Afrikaans - this is where 'tadoku' comes in handy :-)

Good luck to all!

jingwumaster
United States
Joined 4613 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 20 of 86
22 December 2012 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
Well, I just received my first Assimil course in the mail today, Spanish with Ease, so definitely complete that for starters. I'm aiming for B1 lvl in Spanish by next year, I think that's possible with the right effort. At the same time, I will be learning the basics of Japanese writing. First the kana, then Kanji and words, but I plan, with Japanese, to only focus on the writing for probably the first year. In Japanese I care more about reading ability than speaking ability, at the moment.

So, if I can achieve a B1 lvl in Spanish and build a solid foundation in Japanese writing by next year, then I will be very happy, but I try to enjoy the journey no matter what.

Also, once I feel I'm up to it, I will start adding basic native material, gradually, until I can read well.

I wish you all the best of luck with your goals. Have fun with it! (life that is)

p.s.

On a non-language-learning note, I need to lose about 30 to 40 more pounds before I am at my ideal weight. I've been losing weight slowly for years. I've lost around 50 pounds so far.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4547 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 21 of 86
22 December 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
French:My main goal this year is to get to a solid B2 in French, pushing towards
C1. I messed with this language for 5 years in school, time to make it count!

Irish: Increase my specialized vocabulary. Irish is a funny language in that
native speakers often simply use the English equivalent of a word in speaking. For
example, ask my 83 year old Grandmother what an "instealladh" is and she would look at
you funny, she would just say "injection". Despite this, I want to learn as much
specialized vocab as possible. Overall goal: solid C1.

Scottish Gaelic: Goal: reach a solid intermediate level (B1). This language
isn't a priority, as I already speak Irish. It's more of an academic interest. This
could change with a possible trip to the Outer Hebrides in July.

German: Depending on my progress in French, It is quite possible that I'll start
studying German seriously in May (if that long away!). I have a great 1980's
Linguaphone course sitting on my shelf that I'm itching to start, but I want to
consolidate my French first. Also looking to use FSI course (hoping the page reappears).   

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6203 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 22 of 86
22 December 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
French - take it to C1 level

Spanish - pass B2 exam and then target C1 by the end of the year

Laurae
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4981 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 23 of 86
22 December 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
German: I want immerse myself in media, watch at least one movie a week, and really focus on my spoken German. I want to naturalise my usage of German, moving away from focusing on grammar and coursebooks, though I will be continuing with classes. I'm not a very precise learner in terms of hours and units, but I aim to be immersed in German for at least 8 hours a week, in some way, shape or form.
I would like to sit the C1 exam.

Italian: I find Italian so much easier than German (well, so far, I've only been learning for 3 months, so perhaps I'm in for some future shocks!)
I'm debating on whether to continue Italian lessons at the moment.
I've a Routledge Italian course and a few grammar books, as well as some online resources to use in 2013. I'm trying to work with Assimil at the moment, but it's slow and painful - I'm likely to just use it as a back up. As regards a level to aim for, I think I'll achieve a B2 by the end of the year.

Irish: I'll be finishing a public service intermediate Irish course in February of next year, with tests, assignments and an oral exam to keep me on my toes. After this is finished, I plan to read books in Irish and watch TG4 as much as possible, again to 'naturalise' and consolidate the language. Improvement in Irish is a long-term project for me - it's taken 10 years to reactivate my school Irish, and I've rediscovered a love for it, which I think will stay with me.

French: I'll put this on hold until 2014. Despite learning it in school, I don't have enthusiasm for it. I'm also fearful of interference with my Italian, which I'm prioritising.

Russian: I'll revise what I've learned so far in Russian after my Irish course is finishing. Just will aim to maintain the A1/A2 level until I can dedicate the time this language deserves.

Most importantly, I will not start a new language until the end of 2014 (unless peculiar circumstances dictate otherwise!), even though I'm itching to try Arabic.

Edited by Laurae on 22 December 2012 at 8:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Tilia
Diglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 4419 days ago

48 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 86
23 December 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Spanish:
Decide on which intermediary course I want to use and finish it. Finish Harry Potter 1 and read more books on around that level(suggestions?). Move to a place where I can get better internet access, then go crazy with telenovelas and movies. Maybe start using Skype (That won’t be easy for me, I’m introverted, and shy about speaking a language, when I know my accent is probably horrible) The ultimate goal is to get the language to a level where maintaining it is easy.( reading interesting books, listening to real radio etc.)
French:
Lately I’ve gotten this weird feeling that I want to know at least some basic French. I blame it on this forum. :-)
German:
I plan to revive the German I learned in school, someday. I’m not sure if it is going to be in 2013 though. I think it will depend on my progress in Spanish.
I am still not sure how my brain will cope with me trying to teach myself two (or more) languages at a time. But I guess I won’t find out unless I give it a try.

Edit: Danish: Keep helping people learn it. It is fun and interesting and it lets me see my native language in a new way.

Edited by Tilia on 23 December 2012 at 1:12am

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version