mountains
Norway
Joined 4536 days ago

12 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 33 of 86
25 December 2012 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Next year will be devoted entirely to my Norwegian studies, so far I've been studying on and off for just over a
year. I would say I'm currently at a good B1 level, and want to push that up to a B2 or even a low C1. This is
the first language I've ever studied, and this forum alone has helped me a lot along the way, so a big thank
you to all the contributors here!

My main goals for the year are to continue reading and watching films, to speak at least every day, basically
to incorporate Norwegian more and more into my daily routine. I plan on moving to Norway in June so I want
the best possible start. I am also thinking of starting my own language learning log for motivation.

I would also like to become more involved here on this forum and to also restart the Super Challange. Next
year is the year for Norwegian mastery!

Edited by mountains on 25 December 2012 at 7:03am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Elsinore13
Groupie
United States
Joined 4919 days ago

41 posts - 53 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 34 of 86
25 December 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
This past year, life and sickness took a huge toll on my language learning goals. Anticipating some flow and ebb for next year, I decided to scale back and/or decide to learn at certain times. I have trouble focusing fulling on more than one language at a time or at least I haven't learned the "knack" yet.

German:
This is something I really need to get down once and for all at a basic level. I have a lot of missing parts in my education. I need to go back and fill in the blanks, I will go through Living Language Intermediate to complete this. My other goal is to go out to a local German language meetup at least twice this year and speak. My good friend, who is first gen American and learned German as her first language, has wanted to speak in order for her to still retain the language. So, I need to take every opportunity to do this. An additional goal, will be to watch one tv show in my target language a week.

Chinese:
I'm going to pick this up again about two and half months before my next business trip. I want to go through Assimil/Pimsleur again for a refresher. I will focus on Chinese seriously for only about a four month period since my business trips will be at that time. I love Chinese, but until I can get to a decent place in my German it will be impossible to focus the time the language requires. My hope is to maybe do a Pimsleur a week just to maintain during the "off season". I want to be able to let a language go dormat for a bit and not feel guilty about it!

Italian:
This is going to be a "pick up/drop off" language for a family trip to Italy in November 2013. I will be focusing on this at the end of the summer, but that time my German (hopefully) will be a good point to where I can scale back temporarily to work on Italian.

1 person has voted this message useful

melkior79
Japan
Joined 4574 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 35 of 86
25 December 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Merry Christmas All.
Some of my goals are clear and some are a little vague. This list of goals will be subject to revision as well.I am in a fortunate position that I have a 3 month period where I don't have many work commitments.

Japanese
Pass the N1 in June 2013. I am going to do a mock test tomorrow (couldn't bring myself to do it on Xmas day!) I have failed N1 twice before and I think I am getting closer now.

Improve my composition skills on Lang 8.

Start learning to write the Kanji. I can read them alright but I cant even write basic Kanji from memory. I will go through Japanese Kanji Kentei materials to do this.
If I can pass Kanken level 6 next year I would be happy. I need to prioritise the JLPT though.

French I have started this language for the Assimil challenge. I will continue doing my daily Assimil (I even did it today) and see where it takes me.After Assimil I might follow up with FSI French and start reading novels. For now I am just focusing on Assimil. I am really enjoying the Assimil process.

Latin I am setting a three month challenge for myself to get through D'Oogues Latin for Beginners (I started today). It is a chance for me to rocket through a solid grammatical approach to the language. At the end I would like to try and read Caeser as that is what the book is designed to teach. (I would appreciate any feedback on people who have done this)

Edited by melkior79 on 25 December 2012 at 11:58am

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5043 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 36 of 86
25 December 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
My goal is to make a goal. I want to reach the point that I can make "start learning German" my goal for next year, but I need to get my French to an acceptable level in order for that to happen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7099 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 37 of 86
26 December 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
My goals in 2013 for Polish, Slovak, Turkish, Ukrainian and Uralic languages can be seen by clicking on the respective links.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5847 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 38 of 86
26 December 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Okay...

I will focus mainly on four languages: Korean, French, isiZulu, and Sesotho...

My 2012, the sequel strategy (oh yeah, I refuse to acknowledge 2013 until the zombie apocalypse actually happens, therefore 1st of january will be the start of 2012, the sequel in my world) will be to space things out properly, in order to utilise my tendency to digress and wander (discipline is just not my thing).

I will be having 4-5 day long intensive periods of French study once per month for 6 months, and 4-5 day long intensive periods of Korean study for the remaining 6 months. I know the basics of these languages already, so it is really about revitalising and then improving upon. The aim is to have sound B2 level in French and B1 in Korean... (right now I've probably sunk to A2 in both...)

Then... I will focus on Sesotho until it is up to par with isiZulu, which is at A2 right now. So it will be Sesotho, and no isiZulu for about 3-4 months, then I'll alternate: 2 weeks Sesotho and 2 weeks isiZulu. The aim is to reach B1 in both by the end of 2012, the sequel.

In order to allow my wanderlust to be satiated, and thus not to disturb my study plan, I've allowed for 3 days per month max to dabble into Kiswahili, Lingala, Russian, Latin, Danish, Spanish, Portuguese, and what not...

That's about it ^_^

Edited by ennime on 26 December 2012 at 5:06pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 39 of 86
26 December 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
I will be having 4-5 day long intensive periods of French study once per month for 6 months, and 4-5 day long intensive periods of Korean study for the remaining 6 months.
Great strategy! Intensive bursts are underrated while "do something every day" is overrated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5847 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 40 of 86
26 December 2012 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
ennime wrote:
I will be having 4-5 day long intensive periods of French study once per month for 6 months, and 4-5 day long intensive periods of Korean study for the remaining 6 months.
Great strategy! Intensive bursts are underrated while "do something every day" is overrated.

I think so as well, I've never done it this way, so it is a new strategy for me... I just know that if I "do something every day" I'll get bored with it within a month time, and only pick it up a 4 months later... so this is an attempt at preventing boredom in study... I think it especially would work because I already know the basics of these languages, so it isn't new ground...

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version