86 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 10 11 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4802 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 41 of 86
26 December 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Heh... For several years I had plans, more or less successful, but this year they've mostly f**ked up because of sicknesses and bad moods... So maybe this year it'll be better for me not to plan anything and to go with the flow?
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4811 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 42 of 86
26 December 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Heh... For several years I had plans, more or less successful, but this year they've mostly f**ked up because of sicknesses and bad moods... So maybe this year it'll be better for me not to plan anything and to go with the flow?

It seems that I feel very similar. This year was the first year I ever made language study plans instead of just going with the flow. While I was successful, I think in the end it may not be worth it to do it again next year. I get too obsessed with the goals instead of just seeing where my enjoyment of the language takes me. I feel that I may not need a goal of reaching a certain level in 2013.

tygerlily
United States
Joined 4465 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 43 of 86
26 December 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, for the first part of the year, my life is going to be fairly busy with
work and moving house. Hopefully, the year will be less busy after that and I can meet
my goals for 2013:

German
Right now I would classify myself as B1 overall. I would like to finish the exercises
in Improve Your German. In addition, I have made one of my 2013 goals to read
50 novels. I would like at least 5 and hopefully 10 of these novels to be read in
German. I am cheating slightly since I have already started reading Der Kleine
Prinz.
I would also like to watch at least an hour of German TV per week as well as
listening the DW's Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten. I hope by mid-year to be able to
transition to the regular DW news podcast.

Japanese
For my Japanese studies, my goal is to finish Pimsleur and Japanese for Busy People
I
. Also, I plan to continue working on my hiragana and katakana writing ability
and to transition my knowledge of the kana from passive to active (I can recognize a
kana when I read it, but I still have trouble recalling them when writing). I also
plan to continue learning kanji.

French
In 2012, I decided to start learning French (again). My goal for 2013 is to continue
working through Assimil French Without Toil and FSI French Basic.

Edited by tygerlily on 26 December 2012 at 10:28pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 86
27 December 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:
Serpent wrote:
ennime wrote:
I will be having 4-5 day long intensive periods of French study once per month for 6 months, and 4-5 day long intensive periods of Korean study for the remaining 6 months.
Great strategy! Intensive bursts are underrated while "do something every day" is overrated.

I think so as well, I've never done it this way, so it is a new strategy for me... I just know that if I "do something every day" I'll get bored with it within a month time, and only pick it up a 4 months later... so this is an attempt at preventing boredom in study... I think it especially would work because I already know the basics of these languages, so it isn't new ground...
sounds like you also need more fun in your learning ^_^ do what you like, do what you would do in your native language:)
while "do something every day" can be boring, it IS crucial to have some contact with the language more often than once a month.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4301 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 45 of 86
27 December 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
French: I would like to study it some more, and achieve a good level of spoken fluency. It's a shame to understand a language well, but not to be able to use it equally well. Finish Michel Thomas or/and Pimsleur, focusing on spoken french. Dig out all my french workbooks and really work on them.

Greek: this might sound odd, but our native language deserves some care as well. Focus on the older styles of greek, mainly attic and hellenistic, and instead of doing crossword puzzles reading "unknown" texts. That is, passages from thematographiae books (I am not sure how you call them in English, but the phrase greek reader comes to mind). Just do it for fun. That's how it always works best.

Language x: I want to really focus on a new language. Continue with my deplorable russian, or learn German (useful but my heart is not in it), or continue with the hebrew I like so much. I am a bit confused on that one.

Edit: reading some of the previous posts on this thread, I thought it is better to set specific goals.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 27 December 2012 at 9:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5438 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 46 of 86
27 December 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Heh... For several years I had plans, more or less successful, but this year they've mostly
f**ked up because of sicknesses and bad moods... So maybe this year it'll be better for me not to plan
anything and to go with the flow?

So you don't count the amazing 20 000 pages you've read just in 8 months for much :)

Btw, going with the flow is a good plan. It is my plan too...and depending on where the flow will take me,
maybe learning the basics of Russian.

Edited by Marikki on 27 December 2012 at 3:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

eebeejay
Canada
Joined 4423 days ago

34 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, French

Message 47 of 86
28 December 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
I'm going to continue working on my French and finish the FSI course by the end of the year. Hopefully way before then, but I have no idea what's going to come up this coming year. I'm going to keep chipping away at my commitments for the Super Challenge, with lots of reading and movies.

I also have to force myself to actually use the language this coming year - to actively seek out conversations and correspondence with others. I do far too much book learning and I really need to step out of my comfort zone more.

Other than that I'm planning on working on German and Norwegian. There's a possibility that I might be traveling to Norway in August so it's good motivation to refresh what I know.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5277 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 48 of 86
28 December 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
French: I would like to study it some more, and achieve a good level of spoken
fluency. It's a shame to understand a language well, but not to be able to use it equally well. Finish Michel
Thomas or/and Pimsleur, focusing on spoken french. Dig out all my french workbooks and really work on
them.

Greek: this might sound odd, but our native language deserves some care as well. Focus on the older styles
of greek, mainly attic and hellenistic, and instead of doing crossword puzzles reading "unknown" texts. That
is, passages from thematographiae books (I am not sure how you call them in English, but the phrase greek
reader comes to mind). Just do it for fun. That's how it always works best.

Language x: I want to really focus on a new language. Continue with my deplorable russian, or learn German
(useful but my heart is not in it), or continue with the hebrew I like so much. I am a bit confused on that one.

Edit: reading some of the previous posts on this thread, I thought it is better to set specific goals.

If you would like to further improve your native Greek, would like to work on your Russian and French and is
considering German, you seem like an ideal candidate for team Sparta, where most of us share those
languages. We have lots of room and would love to have you :-)

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version