Diglot
Poland
Joined 4861 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 57 of 86
01 January 2013 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
My goals:

spanish: to be able to do a presentation in this language speaking at least 80% fluently, being able to read in this language and being able to write in this language (this goals will be achieved to 1st march 2013) and after 1st march to speak more and more fluently;

english: to speak more and more fluently.

Edited by damc on 01 January 2013 at 3:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 58 of 86
01 January 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
As a background, I've been in Chongqing, China since last summer. I've been dabbling in Chinese prior to
my assignment to China, but it's only when I got to China that I started studying more.

I aim to be conversant in Mandarin Chinese by the end of 2013. By conversant, this means I should be able
approach a stranger during a cocktail party and talk to him or her without resorting to English. I'll achieve
this by studying everyday and speaking with native speakers.

Happy New Year HTLAL!

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4414 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 59 of 86
01 January 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
This year, I want to give Esperanto a try before moving on to focusing more on Spanish. I am A1 in both those languages.

For Esperanto, given all the talks about how easy it is, I feel that one year should be ample time to reach fluency (so B2/C1 in all spheres) or a "good enough" level for me. I also hope that I will feel comfortable enough in Esperanto to add Spanish to my study somewhere in February or March.

For Spanish, I'll just go with the flow and will be happy with myself if I manage to stick to it from the moment I resume studying it to the end of the year since I have not be able to be consistent with my study of Spanish for more than 1 or 2 months straight this year, and even less before that. In the best of worlds, I would like to be able to read books in Spanish for fun and understand movies with subtitles in Spanish (or even better, without) so I guess be somewhere between B1 and B2 passive skills. I don't really care for active skills this year in Spanish so I won't set any goals for that.

MissedCall
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4346 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English, Japanese

Message 60 of 86
02 January 2013 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
This year, I will:
1. Focus on German
2. Improve my English, slowly
3. Have fun with learning more kanji, which will help my future Japanese study.

Happy new year!

Edited by MissedCall on 02 January 2013 at 11:50am

Kadin.Goldberg
United States
Joined 4376 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Swedish

Message 61 of 86
02 January 2013 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I plan to become "fluent" in Italian by the end of 2013 and have basic conversational
skills in Swedish.

This is an exciting year for me. I am traveling to Sweden in 2 months and then moving
to Italy in less than 3 months. I plan on studying at least an hour of Italian and an
hour of Swedish per day for the next 2 months. Then practice speaking Swedish in
Sweden for a month while studying at least 1 hour per day of Italian.

I get my Italian Assimil book today in the mail and I plan on using the fsi website for
Swedish.

I wish you all the best of luck in 2013 and if there is anyone that lives in Italy and
wants to practice English (and help me with Italian), I will be there in 3 months!!

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6846 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 62 of 86
02 January 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
1. French - to improve reading and listening comprehension, hopefully to a C1 level from somewhere about a weak B2.

2. German - to improve active vocabulary, especially in the formal register. Use more verbs. Generally use more words :). I used to be pretty happy with my C2 German, and now all that I can see are gaps and gaps over gaps in my knowledge, especially in my vocabulary.

3. Swedish - to get somewhere to A2/B1 level from a beginner level (I've been learning Swedish for less than three months).

(4.) English - more of an upkeep language than a real learning goal.

That's my focus for the first half of the year. In the second half of the year, I'm thinking about changing focus / adding focus languages (probably Dutch, Russian and/or Spanish, maybe something completely new - we're gonna see).

searcher
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4290 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English

Message 63 of 86
03 January 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Hello
I'm new to this forum and I'm new to language learning too.
My goals for 2013 are:
- improve my English by watching movies
- teaching myself a new language for the first time, the chosen one is German

I've been lurking for quite awhile and I think this is a great site with lots of
resources and advices
2 persons have voted this message useful

ilcommunication
Diglot
United States
Joined 6635 days ago

115 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 64 of 86
03 January 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Keep up with Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, Hindi, German: aim to converse at least a few times a week with each, systematically build up vocabulary (especially Mandarin, Russian and Hindi) through vocab lists, use media resources to improve comprehension.

If I have a bit of free time, really start getting into Portuguese, hopefully getting to a strong beginner's level by mid-year.

Glance into something completely new...why not satisfy a bit of wanderlust?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 86 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version