Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5677 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 1 of 51
16 February 2014 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Hi, I've seen a lot of posts complaining about how difficult it is to practice German when you're at an intermediate level, and that Germans will often switch to English on you and never let you practice. While I've certainly observed this with others, I've not had too much difficulty with it myself, and I thought I'd share what works for me.

First, many Germans will switch at the first sign that you're having trouble understanding or if you make even small mistakes, so this means that your priorities as an intermediate learner should emphasize listening comprehension above all else. When speaking, use only those structures you have thoroughly mastered. Don't misunderstand me and become overly self-conscious and afraid of making mistakes - use only simple language at first so you can speak with confidence. There are some languages where natives (in general) will encourage you to speak and compliment your abilities no matter how many mistakes you make, but German is not one of these. the most important thing is speaking confidently and well, even if simply, or they will switch. A good way to build up your ability to do this is by copying down sentences and structures from your listening comprehension exercises and then using them to construct sentences of your own. Then read them out loud to yourself, and you will be better able to use them when speaking in the future.

Once you're B2-C1, where your German is almost as good as their English but still not quite, I've found this line works like a charm:

German: [switches to English]
You: Oh, your English is so good! Much better than my German. I still need to practice more - we don't get so many opportunities in my country.

This is simple and direct, and you're complimenting them. Obviously, only say this if their English is ACTUALLY very good already and they really don't need practice. Be a friend, not a manipulative jerk. But oftentimes you can say this with 100% sincerity and Germans tend to respect both the politeness and honesty of that statement and will stick to German with you - provided you don't make a ton of mistakes and frustrate attempts at conversation. I've seriously only had one German friend *ever* who adamantly insists on English with me after I've said this.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Falkenstein
Triglot
Germany
Joined 3868 days ago

20 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Modern Hebrew
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 51
14 March 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Even if you're not C1 you can still tell everyone to speak German instead of English. I don't think anyone
will complain or think it's rude. Not at all. Just say you're learning German and that's it. You will only have
this issue with above-average educated individuals anyway. I feel like people overestimate the average
English proficiency in Germany.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 51
15 March 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Much easier, say some variant of: I am glad that you want to help me out, but I really like learning your language and even though I sometimes struggle with it, I hope you'll be willing to talk to me in German.

Most Germans I know value straightforward honesty over flattery. (And I would perceive your charm as flattery rather than as a sincere statement. Even if it is true you obviously use the compliment to make the other person do something for you.)

And, if you play the humble but eager learner you don't need to be at such a high level for it to work, nor does your partner need to have very good English for you to come across as sincere.
I also think it doesn't matter if the other person sometimes switches to English when their English is better than your German, when they believe it's easier to talk about a certain topic in English, or when they also want to get a bit of language practice out of your conversation. Just talk about the topic in English, and when the conversation shifts to the next topic switch back to German. Or if it's an explanation, ask 'and how would you say that in German' when they finish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7150 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 51
15 March 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Edited by luke on 15 March 2014 at 12:40am

4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 51
15 March 2014 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
WORK ON YOUR R SOUND
6 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4567 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 6 of 51
15 March 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Go to Germany and speak German. That's what I did.

Most Germans are nowhere near C1 in English. I don't mean this disrespectfully, it's just the way it is among
the general population of a huge country.

Edited by beano on 15 March 2014 at 10:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5279 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 51
15 March 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
My trick- which probably doesn't work anymore - was to go to the "Neue Bundesländer" where people had
had less practise speaking English, and were more likely to be happy that you spoke enough German to
communicate. Otherwise, I find that there is a big difference as to where you meet people. Someone working
at a reception at a big international hotel in Berlin will immediately speak English at the mere hint of
foreignness. Someone out walking their dog in a little village would be in a more German frame of mind, and
would tolerate a lot of mistakes before he would switch to English.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4567 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 8 of 51
15 March 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Someone working at a reception at a big international hotel in Berlin will immediately
speak English at the mere hint of foreignness. Someone out walking their dog in a little village would be in a
more German frame of mind, and would tolerate a lot of mistakes before he would switch to English.

I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as that. I spoke a lot of German in large hotels and at airports - places
where the staff need good English to get the job in the first pace - when I was still at lower-intermediate level.
On nearly every occasion, the people were perfectly happy to engage.

I think it's a lot to do with how you project yourself. If you sound confident, are friendly and respectful, have
reasonable pronunciation, speak without stuttering and have a bank of useful filler phrases on hand, people
will speak with you.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version