Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 42 of 51
22 March 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Actually, there's often enough confusion between people who use the word Straßenbahn and those who use the word Tram. I guess when you live in a city that has a tram and tourists you get used to hearing different terms for it, but many people live in cities that have an underground system or buses, but no tram, and I think they may know only one term?
And, yes, Germans sometimes ask "do you know what xxx is" when they mean to say "do you know what I mean by saying xxx"
2 persons have voted this message useful

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4607 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 43 of 51
29 March 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
But I can't muster even the most minimal shed of understanding for the jerk at the ticket sale at the Montpellier Aquarium who kept speaking English to me "because I had an accent". Of course I have an accent - I'm Danish, not French. And he had too - in English. But I got my ticket and proceeded into the abyss where nobody tried to impose their broken English on me.

I'm late, but I've just read this.

Before leaving for Paris, someone had warned me that the French would speak to me in English because of my Quebec accent. It seemed unreal and ultimately, it didn't happen to me. I slowed down a little and made sure to articulate all the syllables a bit more than usual. But later, a coworker who lived there for a couple of years told me how he was often addressed in English too. He said that they seemed to have trouble dealing with any kind of foreign accents.

A relative who was with a Belgian friend told me that they asked for information somewhere and the lady kept telling them how they would have no problem at some other place because they would be able to use English, even if they kept remarking that they were currently speaking French. Another relative told me they had trouble understanding him for some reason, but not his wife. They both sound the same to my ears!

I honestly can't explain this, but none of them seemed to think of the French as impolite. They were all very confused though.

Edited by Avid Learner on 29 March 2014 at 8:00pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5045 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 44 of 51
30 March 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
People who claim to have visited Germany report that the Germans tend to speak German. Even if that is not the case, I think I'm ready for them. Anyone who tries to speak English to me will be assaulted with my best French... which isn't that good, but will hopefully be better than theirs.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 30 March 2014 at 1:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 45 of 51
30 March 2014 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:
Anyone who tries to speak English to me will be assaulted with my best French... which isn't that good, but will hopefully be better than theirs.

Don't, unless you have a near perfect accent. It's much easier to spot a foreign accent in a language you don't speak well than grammar mistakes. Do you really want to start off your interactions by lying to people and them knowing you're lying to them, when you could simply tell them that you enjoy learning their language [if possible mention interests that dig slightly deeper into our culture than beer/Oktoberfest, WW2 or Rammstein] and that you would love it if they could talk to you in German? Most will do so, and the ones who don't ... well, there are millions of other potential conversation partners, and more, potential friends?
4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4235 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 46 of 51
30 March 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
It depends on the person. Some are more comfortable pretending or would rather risk
being discovered as not a native speaker of whichever language wherein they purport to
be native. For example, despite growing up in an Anglophone country and being a native
Anglophone, none of my forename, second (middle) name, nor surname are Anglophone.
People
often cannot guess wherefrom I come, it could be from Spain to Singapore (or both). I
have a Spanish forename which helps also by being at least C1 in Spanish, so pretending
to be Hispanophone is more efficient than trying to explain to each person who switches
that practise is desired. They might not even care and insist on English anyway.
Pretending to have English lower than A1 would force them to not switch to English
because it would waste more time. If they do it anyway, well. Waste their time. They
would switch back to German (or any language of the country) quickly.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 March 2014 at 3:34am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 

Message 47 of 51
30 March 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Well, if you know you can pull it off - after all it's your decision. But I do think that if you can safely assume you will see that person again, or you hope you do, other strategies might work better because you then won't end up having to explain yourself. Yes, we use white lies, but there's just a slight difference between using one for the sake of another person, or to get out of a situation in which you would have to ask for assistance, convince the other person or insist on being treated a certain way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5045 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 48 of 51
30 March 2014 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
Darklight1216 wrote:
Anyone who tries to speak English to me will be assaulted with my best French... which isn't that good, but will hopefully be better than theirs.

Don't, unless you have a near perfect accent. It's much easier to spot a foreign accent in a language you don't speak well than grammar mistakes. Do you really want to start off your interactions by lying to people and them knowing you're lying to them, when you could simply tell them that you enjoy learning their language [if possible mention interests that dig slightly deeper into our culture than beer/Oktoberfest, WW2 or Rammstein] and that you would love it if they could talk to you in German? Most will do so, and the ones who don't ... well, there are millions of other potential conversation partners, and more, potential friends?

I wasn't really planning on lying, but simply speaking French and letting them make of that what they will. If asked, I would tell my country of origin.

For what it's worth, I'm told I have an excellent accent.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version