Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 49 of 51
30 March 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
So, you'd start a conversation in German, they switch to English, and you switch to French instead? That's ... plausible. If you do the entire "I am a Parisian you don't dare to talk to me in English!" act and have almost no trace of an American accent in German but can pull off a French accent in French and in German pretty well. Apparently there are people to whom this comes naturally. But, why go to that extent?
4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4567 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 50 of 51
30 March 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:
People who claim to have visited Germany report that the Germans tend to speak
German.

Yes, of course they do. If you can speak German you will have no problem finding someone to talk to. There
are over 80 million people in Germany.
1 person has voted this message useful

theyweed
Poland
Joined 3757 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English

Message 51 of 51
11 August 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:
People who claim to have visited Germany report that the Germans tend to speak German.

Stimmt! I'm just about to finish my little trip to Germany. The goal of the trip was to determine how good my German is and how do I deal with daily situations after having completed 70 lessons of Assimil German with Ease and 80% of Michel Thomas. During the trip I tried to speak to as many Germans as possible. Within 3 days I managed to chat up with 38 Germans and ONLY one person replied to me in English. I found out the Germans are polite and patient - they always let me finish my struggle and after responding they tried to make sure whether I understood correctly.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version