hp230
Tetraglot
TunisiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3628 days ago

30 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: German, Arabic (classical)*, French, English

Message 1 of 18
29 January 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
This may be an odd question but can we set a limit for the number of languages that someone can learn at the same time? How efficient would that be? Does that depend on the languages learned? and what are the qualifications needed to do so?
I've learned from somewhere on the internet that 2 languages is the maximum number to assure the efficiency and quality of learning Is that true? I know - arguably - that one language at a time would be the perfect case but can we hope to do more?

1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4571 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 18
29 January 2015 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
You can do as many as you can handle. Some people can manage 30 at a time, some people can't even manage one.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6532 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 18
30 January 2015 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
hp230 wrote:
Does that depend on the languages learned? and what are the qualifications needed to do so?

It does.
Ideally you need a background in linguistics or at least a practical understanding of how languages work and evolve. More importantly, you need to have a passion for more or less all your languages, otherwise you'll keep adding new ones because they're so shiny.

Quote:
I've learned from somewhere on the internet that 2 languages is the maximum number to assure the efficiency and quality of learning Is that true? I know - arguably - that one language at a time would be the perfect case but can we hope to do more?

Don't believe what you read on the internet. And don't ask one place on the internet to confirm or deny what you read at another one.

There's nothing inherently perfect about learning only one language at a time. This limits the synergy. And by this logic you're never "done" even with your native language.

See also: Prof Argüelles biography, deciding whether you should learn several languages at once.

I personally chose to start more or less all languages I have a serious interest in before the age of 20. (I'm 24 now)
5 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4379 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 18
30 January 2015 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Learning languages isn't an exact science. Every time the idea of numbers comes up, the name Moses
McCormick also comes up. He tends to study languages in pairs of 4 or 5. He may not be at the native level in
any of them but has an interest of keeping the number high. 1 day Moses can be studying Chinese, Japanese,
Georgian, Turkish and another day he would be doing Korean, Arabic, Spanish, etc. Some of these languages
may be related or from totally different families.
2 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 5 of 18
30 January 2015 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
hp230 wrote:
I've learned from somewhere on the internet that 2 languages is the maximum number to assure the efficiency and quality of learning Is that true?

You probably mean Luca the Italian polyglot. Luca used to say it's best to learn 1 language at a time, but later changed to say that 2 at a time was possible/better/best/??? (I forgot what he said).

I don't know if that magic number is true. Has Luca changed again lately?

2 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4994 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 18
30 January 2015 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Definitely not true that 1 at a time or 2 at a time is best in general. It depends on your motivation, goals, time,
relationship among your languages, learning methods...

My personal strategy is a cumulative one: I don't really stop studying a language, I just keep adding new ones and
continue to study all of them simultaneously. I'm up to 21 now and I haven't yet had to drop studying a language
completely. Of course, in any given month I spend far more time with some of my languages than others, for
example when I'm traveling, reading a novel, or working through a series of lessons in one or a few of my
languages. But I don't ever pick a small set to the total exclusion of the others.

This cumulative strategy doesn't seem to be very popular and probably isn't right for everyone. But it works
pretty well for me. I'm pretty confident I would have less success if I limited my studying to 1 or 2 at a time. At
the very least, it's certainly better to do 1 hour of the primary language and 1 hour divided among the others,
than to do 1 hour of the primary language and nothing else. So arguing that fewer is better presupposes that
you'd be able to get yourself to dedicate all the same amount of time to the primary language. That's not the
case, however, when I'm working through beginner-level material in a new language (mentally tiring) while also
listening to podcasts in a stronger language (easy, can do while washing dishes).
4 persons have voted this message useful

hp230
Tetraglot
Joined 3628 days ago

30 posts - 63 votes 

Message 7 of 18
30 January 2015 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
hp230 wrote:
I've learned from somewhere on the internet that 2 languages is the maximum number to assure the efficiency and quality of learning Is that true?

You probably mean Luca the Italian polyglot. Luca used to say it's best to learn 1 language at a time, but later changed to say that 2 at a time was possible/better/best/??? (I forgot what he said).

I don't know if that magic number is true. Has Luca changed again lately?

Yes that's probably it, but I can't answer your question hhhh ?

hp230
Tetraglot
Joined 3628 days ago

30 posts - 63 votes 

Message 8 of 18
30 January 2015 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I personally chose to start more or less all languages I have a serious interest in before the age of 20. (I'm 24 now)

Thanks for your post; I'm now 21, and I'm so excited about learning new languages, I admit I don't have enough experience studying languages without a tutor (I only started German last year) but I am so satisfied about the level I reached.I just want to start an adventure to learn 2 or 3 languages this summer, so I wanted to ask about what should I prepare for this adventure.(I'm going for Russian Japanese and Italian)

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version