Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 17 of 25
12 March 2015 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
From my understanding, the 6 Week Challenge encourages intense studying over a relatively short time period, so there's going to be self-selection bias: the participants are the people who actually have the time to commit to that. So I doubt that it's very representative of what most people do most of the time.

That's what I thought at first, but recently I realised that many 6WC participants don't actually study more for the 6WC:

PeterMollenburg wrote:
... my study habits during the 6wc are no different than normal...

Serpent wrote:
My total time is the same as normal ...

and there're people who know they could only study 30 minutes a day but participate anyway.

And the 6WC results are real, the participants did study that many hours, and the figures do answer OP's question. The figures aren't representative of the world population, but neither would the 20 or 30 replies that the OP is going to receive here. And with the 6WC results, you get dozens if not hundreds of results all on one page, with charts and analyses just a few clicks away. I think that's great!

And the 6WC hours are discounted, so they are actually less than what really occured. In any case, there's one thing about the 6WC results that is very representative of real life: there're always people who sign up, but finish with 0 minutes logged, LOL.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 18 of 25
12 March 2015 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
When I'm jobless, I study 4.85 hours a day on average, not counting the time listening to the radio or whatnot while walking or gardening or whatnot.

In my last job, I was working till 11pm or even 3am every day, so obviously I couldn't study at all :(

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5142 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 25
12 March 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

That's what I thought at first, but recently I realised that many 6WC participants don't actually study more for the 6WC:

PeterMollenburg wrote:
... my study habits during the 6wc are no different than normal...

Serpent wrote:
My total time is the same as normal ...

and there're people who know they could only study 30 minutes a day but participate anyway.

And the 6WC results are real, the participants did study that many hours, and the figures do answer OP's question. The figures aren't representative of the world population, but neither would the 20 or 30 replies that the OP is going to receive here. And with the 6WC results, you get dozens if not hundreds of results all on one page, with charts and analyses just a few clicks away. I think that's great!

And the 6WC hours are discounted, so they are actually less than what really occured. In any case, there's one thing about the 6WC results that is very representative of real life: there're always people who sign up, but finish with 0 minutes logged, LOL.

Ok, I stand corrected! I've never taken part in the 6WC because it's always seemed like people put in a huge number of hours and it's something I couldn't commit to... I also just read these posts you quoted and it seems like that was a false impression on my part. I guess the point isn't to compete against the other participants as much as to quantify your own studies and challenge yourself.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5243 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 

Message 20 of 25
12 March 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
I've never taken part in the 6WC because it's always seemed like...

Join us next time in May!

stout
Ireland
Joined 5306 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 21 of 25
12 March 2015 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Myself it would be about half an hour to an hour a day.Though I confess I am bit of a
slacker when comes to foreign language learning.Oh well everybody is different when comes
to foreign language studying.

Edited by stout on 12 March 2015 at 5:45pm

turorudi
Triglot
Philippines
Joined 3504 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 22 of 25
16 March 2015 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I have recently started tracking the length of time I spend on language learning for
Hungarian and Japanese and was pleased (and surprised) to see that on an average day, I
manage an hour for each :)

Maybe I can join the next 6WC just to keep the motivation up. It will be my 2nd language
challenge ever :P (I failed my first - the italki challenge at the start of the year,
haha)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 4079 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 23 of 25
16 March 2015 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I spend an hour to an hour and a half on Spanish (combination of reading, watching TV shows and Skype
conversations) and about 30 minutes on Tagalog most days.

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5429 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 24 of 25
16 March 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I get about 2 hours of French every day on the weekdays, and on weekends I can usually
get 4-5 hours.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version