Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 28 29 Next >>
s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5270 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 229
30 April 2015 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Putting aside for the moment the contentious issue of what is a word,

Word: a unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that
functions as a principal carrier of meaning.

Contentious: causing, involving, or characterized by argument or controversy.

Am I missing something? When did the "what is a word" become controversial?

Yes, you are missing something, a lot as a matter of fact. We're talking about counting words for the purpose of
estimating vocabulary size. I won't go into this very complicated debate right now. I suggest reading any of the
articles by Paul Nation who is probably the most well-known author on vocabulary size.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5270 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 18 of 229
30 April 2015 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I must be very different from you then, because besides any routine interactions I
actually intentionally try to use a wide variety of vocabulary in my writing and speech.
You should know the obscure words I come across in Russian every day that I actually use
in speech.

I have used words in blog articles that my teachers had to look up and confirm to be
correct. And they were. And I used them on purpose. If you're using the same 3000 words
all the time, you're not doing a lot of very broad all-round practice. I try to be more
varied than that so that I don't get stuck in the majority of situations I may encounter
(and I still fail every day and every week).

This is actually a very interesting point. Aside from showing off one's knowledge of rare words, one can question
the purpose of using obscure words that the interlocutor does not know. This seems self-defeating in terms of
communicating effectively.

Does using a lot of rare and obscure words confer quality to one's speech or writing? For example, do better
writers use more different words than lesser writers? Does use of complex words and grammatical structures
automatically make a better writer or speaker?

In fact, I tend to believe the very opposite. I personally prefer simplicity in speaking and writing but I accept that
other people prefer more complexity. But the fundamental question here is not so much how many different
words one uses but how well one can use words in general. Great writing does not mean using a lot of rare
words. That would be too easy. Great writing is more about using the right words to great effect. If the words are
rare, so be it but rarity does not necessarily mean quality.

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3382 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 19 of 229
30 April 2015 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

1. Should 'Web site' be written as one word ('website') or two ('Web site')? If I learn 1000 such "multiple word" items, does it mean I've learned twice as much vocabulary as if I learned 1000 monosyllabic words?

2. If I learn "food" and "fed" and "feed", does that count as 1 word learned, or 3?

3. Suppose I am learning English and I learn that the word "cup" means an object for storing my coffee. Later, I am watching a cooking show and discover that the same word "cup" can ALSO mean a unit of volume of about 250ml. Later, I am watching a sports show and discover that the same word "cup" can ALSO mean a protective device worn to protect athletes' genitals. Does my new knowledge of the 2 additional meanings of "cup" count as two additional "words". Why or why not?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4547 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 229
30 April 2015 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Aaaand S_allard comically misses the point. The point was, S_allard, that they didn't
actually correct these words because I was using them properly in context, they're simply
rare. Sometimes a rare word or term is the one you need to describe something properly,
even though it isn't common knowledge. The interlocutor was one of my Russian teachers. I
use complex vocabulary because I was writing a complex essay on the meaning of the word
tolerance in Russian. And you simply have to use specialized vocabulary to do that. Most
of the text will still consist of a lot of linking words and verbs, but you simply have
to be able to express yourself in finer shades of nuance, and for that complex
vocabulary, alas, is essential. I'm at the level where I can't take the kernel much
further. The only way up is through knowing these essential new, complex, domain-specific
words.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4749 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 21 of 229
30 April 2015 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Rdearman is making a good point however.   Almost every single study of vocabulary size begins with a discussion of what a word is. And they almost invariably settle on the obvious meaning: a lexical item (e.g. what you would expect to be a dictionary headword). Some researchers use the term "word family", including a word and a bunch of different suffixes and prefixes such as -ish, -ness, un-, in-, etc.

When people ask questions on HTLAL about "how many words", it is almost inevitable that someone says, "that depends on what you mean by a word". But somehow, just like the researchers, almost everybody means more or less the same thing when they ask about it. It's like we want it to be more controversial than it really is.

EDIT: here's a classic article co-written by Paul Nation, which is worth having a look at. http://www.nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl/PastIssues/rfl82hirsh.pdf   What's interesting is that they don't really have much discussion about what vocabulary items are (except for discussion of what a "word family" is). Like rdearman, they just assume that the meaning is pretty clear.

Edited by Jeffers on 30 April 2015 at 4:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4361 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 22 of 229
30 April 2015 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
rdearman wrote:

1. Should 'Web site' be written as one word ('website') or two ('Web site')? If I learn
1000 such
"multiple word" items, does it mean I've learned twice as much vocabulary as if I
learned 1000
monosyllabic words?

2. If I learn "food" and "fed" and "feed", does that count as 1 word learned, or 3?

3. Suppose I am learning English and I learn that the word "cup" means an object for
storing my
coffee. Later, I am watching a cooking show and discover that the same word "cup" can
ALSO mean a
unit of volume of about 250ml. Later, I am watching a sports show and discover that the
same word
"cup" can ALSO mean a protective device worn to protect athletes' genitals. Does my new
knowledge of
the 2 additional meanings of "cup" count as two additional "words". Why or why not?

The first question is a bit tough, but seems rather special to English conventions to
me. I haven't
come across any other language of interest to me where this would be a problem. If you
write it as
one word it is one word, if you write it as two words it's to words (but if you know
these words
already, they aren't new words of course). If you write it as two words and the meaning
depends on
both words then it's a multi word expression, but still comprised of two words.

Questions 2 and 3 should be rather apparent. Word forms are word forms and not words.
Word senses
are word senses and not words. Words are words.
So for question 2: 2 words. Except if you mean "the fed", then 3.
for question 3: 1 word. A polysemous word if you want to make this distinction.

If one wants to use any other unit of measurement for counting "lexical items" than
words, than one
can say so, there are terms for that. Type, token, lemma, word sense, word family, ...

edit:
But for the sake of comparing learning effort per year (how many new "words" do I
usually learn per
year), does it matter? I feel like the effort depends on how well you can map target
language words
to native language words. So if the word "cup" in English has 8 meanings and there is a
German word
that covers 6 of these meanings and another word that covers the remaining 2 of these
meanings, then
the effort is 2 "words". If a German word has the same 8 meanings, than it's an effort
of 1 "word".
So this is all highly dependent on your language pair and not really comparable anyway.

edit2:
Could it be that the need for discussing what the word word means arises from the fact
that for discussing
the English language, the concept of a word is usually just useless in respect to what
one actually
wants to talk about? For any meaningful discussion you need more specialized terms like
the few I
mentioned before. So many words have been merged in English and this created highly
polysemous
words.
In some other languages you don't really have this problems. So in English you have a
string of
characters and word class to distinguish between words. In Icelandic for example you
additionally
have gender (for nouns) and declination/conjugation class. This allows for a more fine-
grained
distinction between words and in many contexts, talking about words (as opposed to
types, word
senses, ...) would suffice, even though you still don't get rid of polysemy. So people
wouldn't ask
what one means when using the word word. The definition is clear and useful enough.

Edited by daegga on 30 April 2015 at 8:55pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5076 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 23 of 229
30 April 2015 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
This is all getting to esoteric for me. To me a word is just as the definition I quoted stated. It would appear you're all about to set off on another quasi-religious linguistic HTLAL discourse about some obscure irrelevant linguistic tangent. So I'm going to bow out of this discussion and go study some vocabulary (which I'm not going to count)

:D
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5270 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 24 of 229
30 April 2015 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Aaaand S_allard comically misses the point. The point was, S_allard, that they didn't
actually correct these words because I was using them properly in context, they're simply
rare. Sometimes a rare word or term is the one you need to describe something properly,
even though it isn't common knowledge. The interlocutor was one of my Russian teachers. I
use complex vocabulary because I was writing a complex essay on the meaning of the word
tolerance in Russian. And you simply have to use specialized vocabulary to do that. Most
of the text will still consist of a lot of linking words and verbs, but you simply have
to be able to express yourself in finer shades of nuance, and for that complex
vocabulary, alas, is essential. I'm at the level where I can't take the kernel much
further. The only way up is through knowing these essential new, complex, domain-specific
words.

Aah, ı see. I mixed up obscure, rare and technical. And comically at that. Let's see if I get my English right now.
If we are talking about technical subjects, we need technical words of course. But these are not obscure. They are
technical or scientific. I guess we don't have the same understanding of what obscure means. I read for example:

You should know the obscure words I come across in Russian every day that I actually use in Russian.

I did not understand this as technical vocabulary. I understand this as words that are rarely used and not widely
understood. For example, a pantograph is not a particularly obscure word in the world of tramways or electric
trains, but the word impecunious is quite rare in general and bardolatry is obscure. So, what are we talking about
here? Was the article on tolerance full of technical, rare or obscure words?

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version