United States
Joined 6873 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 9 of 44
20 January 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Vince,

Let's start with a few "sanity checks", to make sure you have the right setup.

1. Check the menu "Help->About Audacity" to make sure you have Audacity 1.3.2-beta.

2. Make sure you have mp3 export capability for the files you will produce. Open a single .wav or .mp3 lesson file that you've recorded, and then check the menu "File->Export As" to make sure that the "MP3" entry is not grayed out. Apply it and save the result somewhere. Make sure the result sounds OK.

3. If the above check out, let's now try knocking out the gaps in one lesson by hand:

(a) Apply "Tracks->Stereo to Mono" menu item to make this a mono track.

(b) Select the whole track - one way to do it "Ctrl+A".

(c) Click on the menu "Effect->Truncate Silence". Set "Threshold for Silince" to "-35 db"; set "Max Silent Duration", for example, to 1000 milliseconds for 1 second or less gaps, or another value you may prefer. Click OK and watch those gaps melt away.

(d) Repeat the preceeding item (c) a couple of times until you see no further truncations being done. (c) should've done most of the job, we are just being perfectionists here.

(e) Play the result by pressing the button with green triangle, and if you like the result, export it as MP3, making sure not to overwrite the original file, of course, if it was already in mp3.

Let me know if the above works, and then we'll move on to the batch mode.

Edited by frenkeld on 20 January 2007 at 10:44am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6454 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 44
20 January 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Right,
      I got onto no. 2 of your instructions, the 'mp3' is not greyed out but when i go to save it somewhere it says
    'auacity does not export MP3 files directly, but instead uses the freely available LAME library to handle MP3 file encoding. You must obtain LAME_enc.dll separately, by downloading the LAME MP3 encoder, and then locate this file for audacity. You only need to do this once'.

Any ideas frenkeld?

Thanks for helping BTW

Edited by Vinnie on 20 January 2007 at 12:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6873 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 11 of 44
20 January 2007 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Download LAME via this link: http://www.rarewares.org/dancer/dancer.php?f=109 (It comes from this page: http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html, as recommended on the following excellent page: http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm).

Just grab the lame_enc.dll file from there and place it in your Audacity directory (which is most likey this one: C:\Program Files\Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicode)). Now you can tell Audacity where to find it.

Edited by frenkeld on 20 January 2007 at 1:15pm

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6454 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 

Message 12 of 44
20 January 2007 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
   Right, managed that got up to instuction (E) where im to play it but it just makes a strange noise, for about a second. Were deffinatley getting there though:-)

Any idea again? sorry.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6873 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 13 of 44
20 January 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Vinnie wrote:
    Right, managed that got up to instuction (E) where im to play it but it just makes a strange noise, for about a second. Were deffinatley getting there though:-) Any idea?

Try this: when you first open the original recording in Audacity, just play it in Audacity (the button with the green arrow again) before you do any processing on it - let's make sure we have a usable starting point.

Edited by frenkeld on 20 January 2007 at 1:13pm

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6454 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 

Message 14 of 44
20 January 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
   I have tried this and its the same, a sharp noise that lasts only a second or so. I then played it in windows media to see if it was the actual audio that was the problem but that was fine.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6873 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 15 of 44
20 January 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Well, we do have to have a usable starting point, so let's keep at it.

What file format is your recording in? Does it end in .mp3, .wma, or something else? Also, what tools was it produced with?

P.S. If you have the original CD's, you can always fall back on using a different tool, to rip and encode the lessons in the format Audacity can work with.

Edited by frenkeld on 20 January 2007 at 8:19pm

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6454 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 

Message 16 of 44
21 January 2007 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
'What file format is your recording in? Does it end in .mp3, .wma, or something else? Also, what tools was it produced with?'

As you may have already guesed im not very computer orientated, so im not quite sure what you actually mean.

But i simply put my assimil audio cds in the drive copied them to the media library, and then when i opened audacity i opened an assimil lesson from 'my music'. After this it does nothing, apart from make a weird noise when i press play. And yes i still have the audio cds if that will help anyway.

Thanks again

Edited by Vinnie on 21 January 2007 at 4:04am

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version