demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 1 of 17
15 July 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Hello! I'm a new poster here. I've just begun my Russian Language Logbook, which is not in English, since I am currently in an immersion program which encourages me to use only the target language.

However, I'll make a brief exception now.

At the end of August, not long after I finish this summer immersion, I'll be going to Budapest for a month before returning to Moscow. I'll be taking a certification course for teaching English as a second language, and I'll be pretty busy with that. However, I don't want to be a jerk for a month, unable to do anything in Hungarian.

So, do you have any suggestions for high quality introductory level Hungarian courses? Something along the lines of Pimsleur would be ideal, since my immediate need would be a small amount of polite interaction. However, I think I'd need a bit more than that.

At this point my goal is not to learn Hungarian, but to be reasonlably polite. And perhaps one day, once I have subdued the Russian case system, I'll move on to Hungarian. :-D

Edited by demoiselle on 15 July 2007 at 10:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7005 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 17
16 July 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
There's no Pimsleur Hungarian.

However, try the first two or three lessons of FSI Hungarian Basic Course. FSI's method is comparable to Pimsleur in that you learn by drilling/repetition. If you're comfortable with the material of the first few chapters you should then be able to survive when it comes to greetings, some directions and basic shopping.

The course is available for free download. Just download the text (.pdf) and audio (.mp3) that you need from here

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 3 of 17
16 July 2007 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

However, try the first two or three lessons of FSI Hungarian Basic Course. FSI's method is comparable to Pimsleur in that you learn by drilling/repetition. If you're comfortable with the material of the first few chapters you should then be able to survive when it comes to greetings, some directions and basic shopping.

Thank you for the suggestion! I have downloaded the lessons, and they look useful. I suppose I'd better print out a couple sections and start working. I've got to be careful, however, that the Hungarian doesn't interfere with my Russian studies while I'm in this program. I suppose I have a good enough base in Russian that I should be able to start "survival" Hungarian ...

And the sooner, the better.

Any other suggestions?

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6262 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 17
16 July 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Try assimil's Hungarians with Ease.

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 5 of 17
17 July 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I haven't been able to find Assimil so far ... but I have FSI's. I suppose I will start from there ... the lessons are massive!

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6262 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 17
17 July 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Did you google it?

demoiselle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

36 posts - 36 votes

Message 7 of 17
17 July 2007 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
lloydkirk wrote:
Did you google it?

Yes. To 'rephrase' -- I couldn't find a copy I could afford (free) ... ;-) My understanding is the FSI programs are public domain. Unfortunately, my budget is limited.

Magyar
Triglot
Hungary
Joined 6251 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German, Hungarian*, English
Studies: French

Message 8 of 17
25 July 2007 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Hello!

There's an excellent method intended to teach hungarian to english-speaking foreigners developped by a small hungarian company. It's called "RelaxHungarian". The basic course will cost you about 70-80 Euros and contains 12 tapes/CDs and several books. Many of my friends tried it, and everybody agreed that it is very useful. Just write me a PM, and I will send you the exact address where you can buy it.

Mark

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version