Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6357 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 17
25 July 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Magyar: Your profile seems to answer this for me, but I wanted to be sure. I've read that hungarians generally speak better German than english. Is this usually the case?

Edited by lloydkirk on 25 July 2007 at 12:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Magyar
Triglot
Hungary
Joined 6346 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German, Hungarian*, English
Studies: French

Message 10 of 17
28 July 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Dear Lloydkirk!

Yes, in a way this is true: an you might know, Hungary was part of the "Austro-Hungarian Empire" of the Habsburgs between 19867 and 1918. At that time, German was more or less the "official" language of the country (for example, orders at the army were given in German). the majority of the educated people spoke very good German (or were even native speakers).

All this was long ago, but the tradition is still alive: German is taught in almost every elementary and high school. Hungary has good business relations with both Germany and Austria, so speaking German is an important asset if you want to work as a manager, businessman, lawyer, etc.

However, as almost everywhere, English is becoming more and more important, especially among younger people (also given the fact that it's much easier than German).

So,to answer your question: old educated people often speak very good German and no English at all, while the younger generation prefers English. French is maybe not as popular in Hungary as it is in other European countries, while there are not few people who speak Italian.

Mark

Seth
Diglot
Changed to RedKing’sDream
United States
Joined 7168 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Persian

Message 11 of 17
28 July 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
Magyar,

Are Hungarians in general pretty tolerant of less than perfect Hungarian by foreigners?

It's one of my favorite languages, by I doubt I'll be mastering it in the near future.

Magyar
Triglot
Hungary
Joined 6346 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes

Message 12 of 17
28 July 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Dear Seth,

Yes, they are - in fact, they are VERY tolerant, because they know that theirs is a difficult language, and every effort made by a foreigner to learn it will be met by enthusiasm. Even a "jó napot kívánok" said by a non-hungarian will make them happy!

Seth
Diglot
United States
Joined 7168 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 

Message 13 of 17
28 July 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Sweet!

Magyar
Triglot
Hungary
Joined 6346 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes

Message 14 of 17
29 July 2007 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
BTW Seth, my girlfriend is German. She knows nothing but the few words I have taught her - and almost every Hungarian we meet encourages her when he/she sees that she tries to make herself understood in Hungarian - so please don't be shy when it comes to Hungarian. Most Hungarians - especially elderly people - are very nice and friendly towards guests.

Seth
Diglot
United States
Joined 7168 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 

Message 15 of 17
30 July 2007 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Thanks

I don't have much time at present to work on Hungarian, but it's something I'd definitely like to do later. And Hungary is definitely a place I'd like to spend some time.

joan.carles
Bilingual Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 6277 days ago

332 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, French, EnglishC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Hungarian, Russian, Georgian

Message 16 of 17
15 August 2007 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Hungary is great, and so is Budapest! I had the opportunity to travel there, mostly to Budapest and practice the few Hungarian I knew at that time. And I loved the country, and the people, and how the language sounds and looks written. I started learning Hungarian as a challenge after reading that it is a very difficult language on The Languages of the World, by Kenneth Katzner (interesting book that I recommend, just to get a feeling of different languages and scripts). And when I started learning, with Tanuljunk Nyelveket and Colloquial Hungarian, both bought in Barcelona, I became fascinated with the language.

Today I found a webpage with some lessons, texts and audio files that has encouraged me to go back to Hungarian, one of my favorite languages. www.magyarora.com. I was looking for some short stories to read everyday, those 5-10 minutes a day of Hungarian to refresh and get updated with the language. And there you go!

If anyone knows of any Hungarian association or library, bookshop, cultural center...whatever, in Calgary, please , let me know. Köszönöm, és tanulj nyelveket!

Edited by joan.carles on 15 August 2007 at 1:58am

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version