United States
kipeesh.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4686 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 1
30 May 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I am a firm believer in using online videos in your target language audio with English subtitles as a learning tool for
new languages.

You are able to pick and choose videos that YOU like and learn from them. This keeps everything in context with
your personal interests. The other great thing is that you see, hear and read what is going on right in front of you
so again the message is put in context. Plus you get to watch shows that are interesting which in turn makes the
learning process more interesting as well.

I am currently building a site that offers to transcribe the audio of any video that is uploaded to the site. The one
thing about target language videos with English subtitles is that many don't include the captions of what is being
said in the target language. Having the audio transcribed would allow for 100% comprehension, allow the learner to
read word for word what is being said as well as understanding the message by reading the English subtitle.

This would greatly benefit the learner being able to listen and understand everything that is being said at the start
using the dual subtitles. Eventually, as the learner becomes more proficient, they only use the captions and take
away the English subtitle so they begin thinking in the language.

Here's where I need some creative advice from you all at this forum:

-To offer a caption/audio transcription service, I would need a team of native speakers whose mother tongue is the
one being spoken on that online video. Can you think of some creative ideas to seek out people who would be
willing to transcribe online videos for eager language learners? Perhaps create a community exchange between
those wanting to learn English with those English speakers wanting to learn that person's language???? some type
of "i scratch your back, you scratch mine" mentality

-Would you as a fellow language learner looking to spice up your language learning use this type of service. E.g.
find a video you like on youtube that is in your TL and has Eng subs and embed it onto my site for the audio to be
transcribed??

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm all about making language learning as interesting as possible for
the learner and I figure, the next best thing to actually living and immersing yourself in your TL country, is to
surround yourself with its language and culture through music and television and movies. day to day scenes with
day to day language, messages being 100% comprehensible from day 1, sentences in both your TL and native
language side by side for comparison and grammar/vocab analysis.

I really do thank you for giving your advice on this. I look forward to all your responses.

Rowan

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version