Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4667 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 1 of 1
25 June 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
[I'd been going to post this at the end of the long "Benny Lewis" thread, only to find
at the end that it had been closed for comments! My internet connection is playing up,
so I don't want to go searching for another vaguely relevant thread, so I'll dare to
start a new one]

I've been aware of LWT for some time now, and vaguely aware of Benny Lewis, since
seeing his name mentioned quite a lot, but I didn't really know anything about him.

(In case anyone doesn't know, LWT="Learning With Texts", and is a computer-based system
for assisting you with your reading and listening skills (mainly), and also vocabulary-
learning).

However, stumbling on his blog the other day, I was very interested to find that he had
made available an online interface to LWT, which does away with the need to install it
on your own PC, which is a many-step procedure which may put off non-techies.

It has the advantage that you can also use it on the move, so long as you have an
internet connection, e.g. on a smart phone or laptop with a wireless connection, or
whatever. (It has the disadvantage that - by definition - you can't use it offline).

I realise that this isn't new. It's been around for about 9 months I gather.
But I was not aware of it, and it's possible that others aren't who might possibly make
use of it.

I'm not currently using it, as I'm happy with my current methods for the moment, and I
don't want to get sidetracked. But I might well do in the future.
As well as those who definitely do not want to install LWT on their computer, it may
also appeal to those who are considering doing so, but first want to try out the basic
idea to see if it is likely to appeal to them, and be worth the effort of installing.
(Response on the local version is likely to be faster).

I suppose I should add that Benny did not produce the original LWT product (and does
not claim to). The author of LWT is a regular poster here. Benny only made available
the online interface, on his own server, which means that those who choose to use it do
not have to install LWT on their own machines.

Both LWT and Benny's online version are open-source, free products.

I almost forgot the link:

Online LWT

And I think it would only be courteous to include a link to the original LWT, the
version you can install on your own PC if you wish:

The original LWT

Kudos is due to both J.Pierre and Benny Lewis for these two great contributions to
language-self-learning and learners.

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version