Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5437 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 73 of 76
02 June 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 

”Translations in language exams gone wrong” stories are popular in schoolchildren’s folklkore in Finland. They are often based on double meanings that Finnish words have. Unfortunately I don’t remember any good ones, only this stupid (but amazingly popular) Finnish to Swedish translation:

Finnish: Voi äiti, joulukuusi palaa! (Oh, mother, the christmas tree is on fire!)
Swedish: Smör mamma, julsexan kommer tillbaka!   (Butter mother, christmas six is coming back!)

These are supposed to be true stories:

My father has told that his Swedish teacher was very angry when someone translated ”a hole in the sock” as ”ett hål i rumpan” instead of ”ett hål i strumpan” (strumpa = sock, rumpa = bum/ butt)

My sister’s friend translated Swedish ”söta kattungdomar” (cute kittens) to Finnish as ”makeita täytekakkuja” (sweet iced cakes).

One story tells that a Finnish journalist has translated the swedish word ”simbassäng” (swimming pool) as ”simpanssisänky” (chimpanzee bed). (Sw säng = bed, Fi simpanssi = chimpanzee)    

2 persons have voted this message useful

balou67
Triglot
France
Joined 5174 days ago

15 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese

Message 74 of 76
02 June 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
[Alsace is a french region next to the German boundary. Alsatians are depicted by a
strong accent, due to their native language (germanic dialect) or the cultural
surrounding whereas they speak french. At least that remains true for the elders and/or
in the countryside.]

An alsatian couple decided to visit Paris. They're amazed by the huge buildings, the
large streets, they really enjoy themselves. The husband proposes to eat in a beautiful
restaurant tonight. The wife is smiling and says: "I'll have my hair taken care of,
let's meet up here in one hour!"
An hour later, the husband sees his wife waiting, sad and lost…
"What happened, darling?
-I don't know… those people are strange… I went in, and a man showed me watches. I said
I wanted to have my hair styled and all, but then he showed me necklaces and rings… but
before I enter, I'm sure I saw the sign which said "horlogerie & bijouterie"…"

[Clocks and jewelery shop. If misread in alsatian, "hoorloggerie un bigouderie" would
be understood as "curls and curlers shop"]
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 6003 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 75 of 76
03 June 2013 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
Asal wrote:
The word for "green" in Russian is the same word as for "unripe".

Exactly the same in English.

And in Portuguese.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4815 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 76 of 76
03 June 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
tommus wrote:
Asal wrote:
The word for "green" in Russian is the same
word as for "unripe".

Exactly the same in English.

And in Portuguese.

And in Norwegian.

Also, we got that 95%-of-brain joke in Norwegian too, although the version I've heard
invovled a guy who wanted to have half of his brain removed to become a Bergenser, but
it ended in sort of the same way...

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version