Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5860 days ago

72 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 15
22 June 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Well hey I'm currently a biochemistry major... I'm going to be entering my junior year next in august but I was wondering what you polygots studied when you were in college. I love languages and although I'm new to it.. it has become probably my favorite hobby.

As a biochem major... do you think it would be a good idea for me to take some language courses or do you prefer learning on your own? I'm currently teaching myself Spanish and I am considering taking either chinese or Portuguese in the fall.

Thanks for any input!!
1 person has voted this message useful

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6436 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 2 of 15
25 July 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
It has been my experience that you will achieve more in self study than in classes. One of the things language classes excel at is teaching students to hate the language they are teaching. I took a year of German in college and did quite well in it. They taught me everything except how to speak and understand it.

goosefrabbas
Triglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

393 posts - 475 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 15
25 July 2008 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Well, when I start in the fall, I'm majoring in Maths and French. I'll probably take some advanced courses in other languages like Spanish, German, and Italian, if I have the time. Other than that, I wouldn't take beginners language courses in college.

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6668 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 15
26 July 2008 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I majored in Criminal Justice and studied Spanish and Portuguese in college. I really enjoyed learning Portuguese because I had a teacher who cared about the subject and knew how to teach. I think my appreciation for foreign languages was salvaged in those classes. Unfortunately, after 4 years of a very basic selection of languages, we started to get the cool languages like Chinese and Arabic when I was on my way out. If I go back to school, I'll probably end up going to somewhere like Washington or Indiana to take advantage of their language programs while getting my Master's in International Relations or Linguistics.

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6436 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 5 of 15
28 July 2008 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
International relations can be a great help in learning foreign languages! ;)

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6046 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 6 of 15
30 July 2008 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
I studied Geography in college as well as specialized in Tourism at another university.....as I've dealt with tourists lately, languages study is quite important but I'm not aiming at studying them due to professional issues but personal ones actually.

Edited by Alvinho on 30 July 2008 at 12:42pm

Homerus
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5996 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German

Message 7 of 15
05 August 2008 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
I'm doing a double major in Philosophy and Clasical Languages at University. In my experience, whether I have an easier time learning a language depends on the language. I don't think I could have learned Greek on my own; there are too many irregularities and strange syntactical forms that, if I had attempted it on my own, I would have had many more difficulties. However, I am learning German on my own and having a comparitavely easier time with it than I most likely would have had learning Greek or, perhaps, Latin alone.

Class settings give more reinforcement of concepts and more motivation to learn the language; you are forced to do the work or else you fail the class. To be fair, there are benefits to learning on one's own: you can work at your own pace, for example. I suppose it all depends on the language and the amount of self-motivation you can muster.

Edited by Homerus on 05 August 2008 at 8:58pm

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6046 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 8 of 15
06 August 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to get back to college again to study Linguistics....perhaps majoring in Spanish but not in my country....and working on research related to widespread of languages afterwards.....

Edited by Alvinho on 06 August 2008 at 9:36pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version