16 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6396 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 1 of 16
17 July 2008 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
I found this video under Professor Arguelles favourite videos in his youtube account:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L3w8yHrqFiQ

This is talent.

Edited by Vlad on 17 July 2008 at 2:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Felipe
Triglot
United States
Joined 5842 days ago

451 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Catalan

Message 2 of 16
17 July 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
That is impressive! His Spanish is very good.

Edited by Felipe on 18 July 2008 at 11:06am

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7130 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 16
17 July 2008 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
I was just about to groan when I saw another video of a person speaking several languages, but then I actually heard the guy! The English isn't 100% native but he caught so many of the nuances from American TV that it's amazing. The other language that I can possibly judge is French and it's extraordinary. The other languages sounded very authentic as well. I hope Luca might consider joining the forum soon!

LanguageGeek
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5919 days ago

151 posts - 159 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: German*, English, Hungarian
Studies: French, Russian

Message 4 of 16
18 July 2008 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
I watched the video as well. His German is very decent, much better than that of most foreigners living here. But you could feel a certain rustiness. He even mentioned that most of the time he resorts to English when talking to Germans. If I guessed correctly he said the same in Dutch. From the tiny amount of Swedish I learned so far I dare to conclude that he said his ex-girlfriend was Swedish. Way to go! :) A woman is the best dictionary :)

I think this guy is really talented, his French blew me away. But you see that a day has only so many hours and even he will find it hard to maintain/bring all his languages to the same high standard we could enjoy in his English and French.

Edited by LanguageGeek on 18 July 2008 at 1:12am

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6054 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 5 of 16
18 July 2008 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
Still, his Dutch pronunciation is the best I have ever heard from a non-native speaker.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6084 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 6 of 16
18 July 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
He's a good mimic of accents - he probably can do convincing impersonations of people.

I agree his German was a bit rusty. At the end, his Russian faltered, either because he doesn't know much or because he was becoming tired - probably a bit of both. Overall though, quite impressive.

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6396 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 7 of 16
26 July 2008 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
It's a shame that he doesn't get more attention.

It is true, that his German is rusty and that we really can't tell how his Russian is, but.. it made a really good impression on me.

I think he has a great ear for accents and has that 'touch' for languages too. His expressions are natural and fast.

It is also true, that he talks about the same things in every language but trying to speak in 8 languages in 9 minutes is not the easiest thing to do. To see a real conversation video in each of those languages would be best.

Also, what I find with people who have tried to demonstrate how well they speak several languages (or sometimes only speaking in one foreign language, it doesn't matter that much in this case) is that they tend to 'cheat' in the same way. While they are talking, they allways go only where their brain allows them to. In other words they do not stick to the topic and say sentences which come accross their minds at that very moment. I used to do this and then I realized that allthough I was speaking fluently, what I was talking about wasn't coherrent. And I noticed this among my friends too so I stoped doing that, because it really is cheating in a way :-) In my opinion It is much easier to talk just for the sake of talking because your brain has plenty of sentences ready to be used automatically. It is much more difficult to defend one particular argument, allways stick to it, evolve your thoughts on the go and so on.. just like you would do it in your native tongue.

Edited by Vlad on 27 July 2008 at 1:52am

2 persons have voted this message useful

pitwo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5971 days ago

103 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 8 of 16
26 July 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
His French totally blew me away.