United States
Joined 5998 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 16
06 August 2008 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
I'll ask him when I next see him on MSN I guess. He did mention that a lot of people were adding him and asking him questions. Perhaps he was overwhelmed?

EDIT: Speak of the devil!

Quote:
(09:51:34) 유남생: Hi there.
(09:51:43) luca: hi
(09:51:56) 유남생: I'm only going to be here for a few minutes, but a user on HTLAL noticed that your post in the Luca thread is gone.
(09:52:06) luca: I just saw it
(09:52:09) luca: yeah
(09:52:11) luca: I erased it
(09:52:22) luca: too many people were adding me
(09:52:28) 유남생: Aha, I thought so. lol
(09:52:34) luca: and I thought that if people ask me
(09:52:37) luca: I have no problem adding them
(09:52:41) luca: but really...
(09:52:45) luca: it was getting a bit heavy..
(09:52:47) luca: ;)

Edited by qklilx on 06 August 2008 at 3:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6054 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 12 of 16
06 August 2008 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
qklilx wrote:
I'll ask him when I next see him on MSN I guess. He did mention that a lot of people were adding him and asking him questions. Perhaps he was overwhelmed?

EDIT: Speak of the devil!

Quote:
(09:51:34) 유남생: Hi there.
(09:51:43) luca: hi
(09:51:56) 유남생: I'm only going to be here for a few minutes, but a user on HTLAL noticed that your post in the Luca thread is gone.
(09:52:06) luca: I just saw it
(09:52:09) luca: yeah
(09:52:11) luca: I erased it
(09:52:22) luca: too many people were adding me
(09:52:28) 유남생: Aha, I thought so. lol
(09:52:34) luca: and I thought that if people ask me
(09:52:37) luca: I have no problem adding them
(09:52:41) luca: but really...
(09:52:45) luca: it was getting a bit heavy..
(09:52:47) luca: ;)

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bojan
Bilingual Pentaglot
Germany
Joined 6036 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian*, German*, English

Message 13 of 16
23 August 2008 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Does anyone has his addy?

Poliglotta80
Nonaglot
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5788 days ago

11 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Italian*, SpanishC2, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian
Studies: Mandarin, Romanian
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 16
26 August 2008 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi to everybody. This video, as some of you know, is mine. Today I finally posted a video in Russian and another one where I discuss my endeavors and techniques for learning foreign languages. I took a look at the replies here about the first video I made. According to the most common and accepted definition of "native, advanced and basic fluency" here in this forum, I can say withouth offending anybody that I speak Italian, English, French and Spanish with almost native fluency. I've never been to the United States before but I watched a lot of movies and got this weird american accent (most americans would point out to me that it sounds rather "southern"). Always according to a more or less accepted definition of "advanced fluency", I can say that my German is more or less advanced, it is a language I know very well but progressively lost during these years (I tried to resort to Der Spiegel on and off but never really spoke if not in rare occasions).

As for Dutch and Swedish..could you believe that I practically never TALKED to Dutch people? I never had dutch friends and most of the time I talked to myself when I was learning it. I read some books and watched just one movie (Black Book, pretty cool). But still, Dutch is similar to German and my German helps very much in my not forgetting Erasmus's language;-). I practiced Swedish mostly with my norwegian girlfriends and I used to have some friends in Stockholm (I picked up a slight Stockholm accent as I see in comments which I was not quite aware of:)) I think I can say that I speak Dutch and Swedish with "Basic fluency-advanced fluency". I say "I think I can" because (don't want to start a brawl, eh?!) I saw a lot of intimidating profiles here but when I talked to some of the corresponding people, I was very disappointed. People saying they could speak and write with advanced or native fluency turned out to be mediocre to me. This is my humble opinion..So I hope that I dindn't sound presumptious or superb if I gave my languages the above definitions of fluency.

As for my Russian..it is a difficult language and I don't have the same time as I did before to learn it on a daily basis, I left it a year ago, but will try to learn again some more. Being able to speak Russian is incredibly rewarding. As someone pointed out, the difficulty of the Russian language is compensated by its efficiency in terms of communication, those who learn it know how thorough and precise it can be.

The last thing I wanted to add is that I posted the first video almost as a joke, but I got so many good comments that it caused me to post 9 more and above all it to start learning languages again, which I had stopped doing some 4 years ago. Portuguese and Chinese are on my "hitlist" now. Thanks to you all, both for good and less good comments, they are all equally well accepted:D

This forum is great

Luca

3 persons have voted this message useful

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6054 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 16
26 August 2008 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Hello Luca,

as a native speaker of both of them, I can say that your German and Dutch are very good. While I didn't listen that attentively to your German, I particularly found your Dutch pronunciation - as I said earlier - to be among the best I have ever heard from a non-native speaker. It's incredible that you say you never talked to Dutch people, because your Dutch pronunciation is astounding. (Judging from the first video; I haven't seen any others.) You seem to have a thing for accents, which is very good. I don't often meet people like that.
Keep up the good work!

--

Update: OK, I've seen the Dutch one now. I'm more than just amazed. If you were to be immersed for a couple of months or weeks in Dutch, your Dutch 'd be perfect. Same goes for your German.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Gilgamesh on 28 August 2008 at 11:18am

Poliglotta80
Nonaglot
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5788 days ago

11 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Italian*, SpanishC2, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian
Studies: Mandarin, Romanian
Studies: Japanese

Message 16 of 16
28 August 2008 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Gilgamesh, thank you for the nice compliments. I will try to visit Holland as soon as possible and try to get my Dutch better..:D

Ciao!

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version