William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6084 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 34
28 September 2008 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
I downloaded it on ebook. It was good in parts, and I block-copied the bits I found useful (I noticed he likes flash cards).
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6258 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 10 of 34
28 September 2008 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I enjoyed the book well enough, but I found it to be a bit hard to read at times, largely because a vast portion of the book was Farber extolling his amazing linguistic ability, rather than imparting any particularly useful knowledge. By page 30 or 40, I "got it" - Farber was good with languages, and knew it. Thank you, move along, teach me something.

mcjon77
United States
Joined 6423 days ago

193 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), French

Message 11 of 34
28 September 2008 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
My favorite part of the book is how Farber talks about working hard to learn languages and how he wasn't very good at some of them. I have grown tired of stories about one "famous polyglot" or another that seem to imply that they decide to learn a language on Friday and after reading the dictionary over the weekend they spoke the language fluently , with no accent, by Tuesday (an exageration, but you get the point).

I am just inspired by the passion of someone who is not some kind of language savant, yet has achieved a feet that very few people could match.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5892 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 34
28 September 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Josht - I agree that quite a bit is about himself. But I am sure it would have been removed by the editors if it wasnt needed.

One good point about it is how he learned languages - and shows that it is hardwork.
Another one is it is an inspiration.
Also - I am not sure people would take him methods seriously, unless they knew his background.
How would you know who is writing it for money, and has no idea, blagging his way, and the experienced polyglot - The small biography in the front.

I am sure there is a better reason than the above.

TEL

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6084 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 34
28 September 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
I just skipped over large parts of it which were biographical and reflecting aspects of Farber that don't interest me (he is a right-wing radio host and it shows at times in the book). His ego also seems to be very sizeable. It was how he learns languages that I want to know, not his world view.

Rollo the Cat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5846 days ago

77 posts - 90 votes 
Studies: Italian, Russian, Ancient Greek

Message 14 of 34
28 September 2008 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
I just skipped over large parts of it which were biographical and reflecting aspects of
Farber that don't interest me (he is a right-wing radio host and it shows at times in the book). His ego also seems
to be very sizeable. It was how he learns languages that I want to know, not his world view.

You skipped over those parts yet you know what they said? Seriously, I didn't notice anything political in his
language book. Please tell me what you found of topic. The only two thing remotely political I remember were
when he talked about rescuing Hungarian refugees from the Soviet invasion and when he talked about learning
Chinese from Chinses sailors during WWII. Even then he seemed to take great pains to simply tell the story and not
preach politics.

Topsiderunner
Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

215 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Arabic (Written)

Message 15 of 34
28 September 2008 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
At risk of being completely irrelevant to language learning, just a couple days ago someone posted this video of Barry Farber on the old CBS program "To Tell the Truth." Looks like it must from the 50s or early 60s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJ1S6AoW6Y

Marcus
Groupie
Australia
Joined 7023 days ago

55 posts - 55 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 16 of 34
28 September 2008 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
I too enjoyed the biographical section, which I must have re-read over a dozen times for motivational nourishment.

Sure, he enjoys tooting his own horn, but to me, it just reads like someone proud of his achievements and keen to motivate others.

And as for him being right-wing, who cares? I didn't detect any political bias, not surprisingly, because it's a book about language learning not foreign policy.

Edited by Marcus on 28 September 2008 at 8:57pm

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version