Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

215 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Arabic (Written)

Message 33 of 34
07 March 2009 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
It was a great (not in the grand sense) book, and I'm sure like some others here, I was first motivated to start learning languages after reading it. Yes he gets quite excited at times, but you have to remember that it is supposed to be a motivating tool, and many of his experiences, like the Chinese sailors, happened in the 40-50s, when a "gee whiz" kind of reaction wouldn't be out of place.

As for him making it seem to easy - yes, he does in a certain sense, but any sane person, to begin learning a language, has to think that there work will pay off, and his whole book basically screams "YES IT WILL!" If this were required reading in every high school foreign language class I think there would be a noticeable difference in results. Seriously, who wouldn't want to meet Ingrid Bergman!

Edited by Topsiderunner on 07 March 2009 at 6:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5789 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 34 of 34
08 March 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Farber's book is interesting. It's one of those motivational books. I do agree with others that sometimes he oversimplifies things and makes it appear too easy. However his failed experience with Latin is something that many students can relate to in language learning so at least he connects with the readers in that way. It all comes down to commitment to learning the language. Some learners just are not so patient I guess.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version