Triglot
Thailand
stujay.blogspot.com
Joined 6275 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Danish, Mandarin

Message 9 of 25
04 October 2008 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Hi all - was just having a chuckle as I read the past couple of comments. I actually joined this forum about a year ago and then forgot about it until just now when Google sent me an alert saying that someone was talking about my clips :)

Great to be around so many people who love languages.

stu jay raj.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 25
04 October 2008 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
stujay wrote:
Hi all - was just having a chuckle as I read the past couple of comments. I actually joined this forum about a year ago and then forgot about it until just now when Google sent me an alert saying that someone was talking about my clips :)

stu jay raj.

Welcome to the forum! Your work has been a major inspiration to me.

I'm glad to see you've been updating your blog again, and that you've added something on pitch, since developing perfect pitch has been a project I've wanted to get started on for a while. I'll use your ideas as a jumping-off point.

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6054 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 11 of 25
04 October 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
stujay wrote:

stu jay raj.

Welcome to the forum, stujay!

I enjoyed your blog and YouTube videos... I particularly enjoyed your recent article "How I would learn Arabic" as I'm studying this language right now. Have you any plans to study Arabic?

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6231 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 25
05 October 2008 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
OMG!

Welcome to the forum!! Légy üdvözölve! :)

Cisa

Edited by Cisa on 05 October 2008 at 1:46pm

stujay
Triglot
Thailand
stujay.blogspot.com
Joined 6275 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 13 of 25
08 October 2008 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Thank u all for your warm welcome.
Those latest video clips I put up on Youtube were after being inspired by Stephen Krashen. He really is an amazing guy. If you haven't subscribed to his language acquisition mailing list, it's well worth it. Here's the link:

http://ijflt.com/

Since posting these latest clips, I've had 100's of emails come in with suggestions for new topics. I think ones that I'll be hitting in the next few videos include strategies for nailing Kanji / Hanzi for Chinese and Japanese learners, techniques for building up fluency, memory / vocab techniques and practical things you can do to set up an environment to facilitate the language possessing taking control of your body. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.   I'm enjoying reading through and learning from all of your posts here in this forum. Thanks!

qklilx
United States
Joined 5998 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 25
08 October 2008 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Stu Jay Raj you are one of my two biggest influences in learning languages these days and I totally appreciate the effort you are putting into it all, not to mention combining it in your career, something most people feel they do not have the time for. If language learning becomes emphasized in society once again like it was in the past (or if not stressed then common and successful) then not only you, but WE have accomplished our goals.

stujay
Triglot
Thailand
stujay.blogspot.com
Joined 6275 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 15 of 25
08 October 2008 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
gklilx - I totally agree. I work across a broad range of industries, and am constantly in awe of the level of cultural / linguistic ignorance that exists out there in multinational projects.

From my experience, it's not the language that is the answer - but it's an essential ingredient to the answer. I was very fortunate to spend years being trained up as a Dale Carnegie facilitator. The mixture of those skills I learned there combined with cultural / linguistic competence is what has real value in the business world.

In saying that, I've also seen in many instances where 'ignorance is bliss', as 'ignorant expats' get away with murder because they don't (have to) understand the language or culture.

The bottom line is that you need to show decision makers in business how much money you are worth to them. If you can put a real figure on this - with evidence, and then even better - come through with the goods, I think it's paving a good argument to bring linguistic and cultural competence back into the mainstream.

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5808 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 25
09 October 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
qklilx wrote:
Stu Jay Raj you are one of my two biggest influences in learning languages these days and I totally appreciate the effort you are putting into it all, not to mention combining it in your career, something most people feel they do not have the time for. If language learning becomes emphasized in society once again like it was in the past (or if not stressed then common and successful) then not only you, but WE have accomplished our goals.

I agree.

Also, we're missing you on IRC. *HINT*

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version