Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
Ponape
Pentaglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5774 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Greek, Basque, Swahili, Tagalog, Arabic (classical), Quechua, Vietnamese, Turkish, Korean, Serbo-Croatian, Hindi

Message 1 of 6
04 October 2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Let me share with you a little concern:

I find polyglottery fascinating, I have always loved learning languages and I know several ones in different degrees, which has also helped me obtain a much richer view of our world and its cultures.

However, I am a bit disappointed about the fact that one should be able to work in something related to his/her vocation: musicians, programmers, politicians, lawyers, journalists, doctors... they all can do that. But what about people competent in polyglottery? What opportunities do they have, where can they use their skills, and not just use their knowledge of one or two major languages as an auxiliary tool?

I sometimes feel that, although love learning languages, and my university studies are those of English Philology (with quite good grades), this knowledge is not useful at all in the job market, unless it is "added" as an extra to a different skill (eg business / tourism / computer studies). In fact, this is my present situation, I have an anodyne administrative job related to language tourism. Certainly, my knowledge of languages helped me get this job (even though my employer did not seem to believe that I can be proficient in more than two languages...), but I do not feel that I am using my polyglot skills at all, but for writing e-mails in English ocasionally.

This situation makes me a little sad, because I feel as though I cannot find the ideal job for me. So, what job careers or ideas can you suggest for competent polyglots, with no other technical studies? How can be polyglottery be effectively used? I would be very interested in your suggestions.

Thank you, danke, gracias, merci, grazie, eskerrik asko, hvala, efharistó, te$ekkürler, shukran, asante, dhanyavaad, cam on, salamat po, kamsahamnida, yusulpayki, etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
04 October 2008 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Regardless of profession, most people seem to make money by doing something useful for other people, that other people are willing to pay for. Musicians and programmers get paid for their concerts, CDs, or programs - not for the copious effort they put in to learn how, or time spent practicing. Similarly, studying philology isn't something it makes sense to get paid for; writing a substantial book about what you have learned is, though how much it makes depends on how many people are interested and can purchase it.

One of the most inspirational people I've heard of whose knowledge of multiple languages is critical to what he does is Stuart Jay Raj. He's the closest I know of to someone who lives on polyglottery, although his work includes teaching, translating, interpreting, and helping businesses bridge cultural boundaries.

Carlos do Amaral Freire recently published an anthology of his translations of poems in dozens of languages into Portuguese. This is an example of a way that money can be earned from extensive polyglottery, although I doubt it is enough to live on by itself.

Basically: knowledge alone doesn't earn a living, whether it is knowledge of law, medicine, programming, or languages. There needs to be a use of knowledge, in ways helpful to others.

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5966 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 3 of 6
01 November 2008 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Ponape
It is amazing you are learning so many languages.Maybe you should work for the UN.

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6266 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 4 of 6
01 November 2008 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I've found a nice way of making a living: translating. :) I currently translate from 6 languages into Finnish/English, and I consider it a job that satisfies my need to render my linguistic abilities useful in some way.
Apart from translating/interpreting, another language-related job that comes to my mind is working as a secretary in a multi-national company. I think in that job there is a good chance to get to use your language skills in replying to e-mails/faxes from all over the world.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5921 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 5 of 6
01 November 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
bela_lugosi wrote:
I've found a nice way of making a living: translating. :) I currently translate from 6 languages into Finnish/English, and I consider it a job that satisfies my need to render my linguistic abilities useful in some way.

I have the opposite view than yours about translating... :-D

Ikarias
Triglot
Spain
multilinguae.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5843 days ago

29 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, GermanB1
Studies: ItalianA2, DutchA2, FrenchA2, Mandarin

Message 6 of 6
01 November 2008 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Have you thought about moving abroad? ^^
I´m sure that out there you will find something interesting and satisfying.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version