jackcleveland
United States
Joined 5832 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, German, French

Message 1 of 5
01 December 2008 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have information on Ken Hale's methods for picking up languages? The only
reference that I can find about this amazing man's methods was mentioned briefly by
the New York times here:

He said he could never learn a language in a classroom, but only one on one with a
person. He said he would start with parts of the body, common animals and objects,
learn nouns, pick up sound systems and write it all down.

''If it's not a written language, like Nggoth, which is spoken in Australia,'' he
said, ''I make up how to write it. I can learn that in one or two hours.

''Then I start making complex sentences because the complex sentences are more regular
than the simple ones. Then pretty soon I can name anything in the world.''

Thanks in advance for any information one has on this humble but amazing guy.

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
01 December 2008 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
The bulk of our knowledge about Kenneth Hale is found in this thread. Maybe there is more in the obituary written by collegues and students after his death, but I suspect that he didn't write or speak much about language acquisition because it was so easy for him and his methods were so informal.

jackcleveland
United States
Joined 5832 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, German, French

Message 3 of 5
01 December 2008 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Iversen,

Thank you very much. I thought as much. I have read the previous thread, but I appreciate your re-referencing of it.

By the way, thanks for all of your posts on this site. I don't post often unless I have something to ask or something to say. Your posts have been in the top 2-3 for me. Because of the wealth of information from you and others at this site, I was able to go from zero to very reasonable levels of Spanish in about 6-7 months of work. I hate to use the word fluent because that sounds extremely arrogant.

At any rate, thank you. I suspect there are many of us out here that you have influenced that you are not even aware of. Please keep it up.

Edited by jackcleveland on 01 December 2008 at 10:00am

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5695 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 5 of 5
15 March 2009 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
:) seems like a great bloke

Edited by Olekander on 17 March 2009 at 10:51am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version