Norway
mindofthelinguist.woRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5929 days ago

176 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Dutch, French
Studies: German, Icelandic

Message 1 of 5
15 December 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Hunting Down Memory is a true story about Øyvind Aamodt, who suddenly lost 27 years of his memory. He remembered nothing from his life. NOTHING! For most people, this would have been a dreadful experience, an ominous and frightening event in their life. For Øyvind, it was an adventure. He is neither traumatized nor paralyzed, he is just curious. He wants to know what happened, but he would also like to know what cottage cheese and blueberry pie taste like.

http://www.nfi.no/english/norwegianfilms/show.html?id=902

Supposedly he speak English, French, Chinese (Mandarin?) and a couple of others. Thought it might be interesting for some people here. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVt7vyYQpE

Edited by taKen on 15 December 2008 at 3:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5960 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 2 of 5
16 December 2008 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
His Mandarin pronunciation is quite good from what little is heard on the trailer. I don't see them explicitly stating whether he remembered any language when he woke up on the train, but I assume he did or he probably wouldn't have made it out of China?

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5892 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
16 December 2008 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
I wish I lost my memory of all the French I knew so I could re-build it better.

TEL

jbiesnecker
Diglot
China
yuehan.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6152 days ago

4 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Shanghainese

Message 4 of 5
16 December 2008 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm curious... if he awoke still fully able to speak several languages, how would he not know what a train is (as he mentions in the beginning)? Part of knowing a language is being able to map vocabulary onto concepts that exist in the real world. If you know what the word "train" means, then wouldn't you have to know what a train is?

My son is six months old, and I've often thought about how he sees the world. He has no past experiences to connect current experiences to, and I suppose it would be somewhat similar to this sort of situation. However he also can't speak, and is busily working in his brain to connect reality together into something coherent and describable.

I'd love to get a hold of the full documentary. This is fascinating.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6184 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 5
16 December 2008 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
He seemed to be a little upset to me at the end. I'm sure it would be scary in any
case. Very interesting story. Shows us a lot about the brain. ;)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version