Joined 5998 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 32
27 December 2008 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Vai wrote:
Or do you think Professor Arguelles can follow television shows and decipher idioms in the 40 or so languages he 'knows'?

The professor has listed the languages he is most proficient in on his website here: http://foreignlanguageexpertise.com/about.html
1 person has voted this message useful

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5710 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 19 of 32
27 December 2008 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
vai wrote:
Because the two I mentioned are acquired long after the ones you did (in American textbooks anyway) and it mixes the basic with the complex, both of which are needed to 'know' the language.

I agree that the imperative in the Germanic and Romance languages is basic (I don't speak a language of other groups at all, thefore I don't know , but on this thread a person told about the very complex imperative in Japanese). I agree as well that the hypothetical is complexer, but it depend of your own language and which you learn, for example the Dutch and English conditionals are 90% identical, but the Spanish is completley different structure. therefore for the Dutch-speakers, the English hypothetical is very simple, for them, it's more difficult to learn the progressive because they haven't it. Spanihs has the progressive, therefore this is simple for the Spanish-speakers in English. I think that it's very subjective to define: "know" a language, for you it's the knowledge of certain structures, for me it's the knowledge of many things.

vai wrote:
Those go beyond 'knowing' and count toward basic fluency.

For me, "knowing" = basic fluency *minimum*, probably the advanced fluency.

vai wrote:

Or do you think Professor Arguelles can follow television shows and decipher idioms in the 40 or so languages he 'knows'?

I've no idea, btu he's made a chart. I made a screenshot:

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5710 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 

Message 20 of 32
27 December 2008 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
vai wrote:
Because the two I mentioned are acquired long after the ones you did (in American textbooks anyway) and it mixes the basic with the complex, both of which are needed to 'know' the language.

*in American textbooks* this is important: therefore for the English-speakers.

For other people, the future in English can be very diffciult, much more as the imperative, for example. the aspects of the future are many and complicated (depend of your native language) but the imperative is simple if you learn English but evidently not if you learn Japanese. Probably you think the "present" is easy, but for many learners of English, the simple versus the progressive is difficult (I fidn this very difficult because in the languages which I "know" it's not a progressive). Like I wrote in the preceding post, for Spanish-speakers this is easy.

You're typcial anglophone: see it all from the English-speakers' perspective and always about learn Spanish because it's not a tradition of learn foreign languages in the US and because English is the dominant global language and Spanish is the foreign language. This is very oftne in this forum I've noticed. Sometimes it's annoying.

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5710 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 

Message 23 of 32
27 December 2008 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
vai wrote:
First of all the Spanish conditional is exactly like the English one: 'if' followed by a past subjunctive verb and a conditional one (both with the perfect tense auxiliary verb in my example).

You described the Spanish hypothetical conditional. The English one is differnt: “if” followed by the past perfect and “would”

vai wrote:

It's all grammar and the knowledge of those 'certain structures' is required for your 'other things.'

No, it’s not all grammar and the knowledge of those certain structures at all. For accuracy you have to know the grammar, but for communicate you have to know the vocabulary. If you don’t know sufficient vocabulary you can’t know the language (understand or use it).

vai wrote:

Some learners are very slow at developing proficiency but if they've studied for years you can hardly tell them they don't know the language.

Yes, you can tell them they don’t know it if they don’t know it. If you studied for years but you didn’t leanr nothing then you don’t know the language.

vai wrote:

Language background is not the most important factor to second language acquisition. I don't care what your native language is or whether it distinguishes between progressive and habitual present tenses, individual ability determines your ability to learn and use it.

You’re absolutely wrong. Language background is extremely important. You don’t care what’s the native language of a person, then you’re stupid because it’s very relevant. It’s relevant for the grammar and for the vocabulary and for the culture.

Individual ability’s very important also, with this I agree.

vai wrote:
Multilingualism may not be an American tradition (due to lack of geographic and economic necessity) but scholarship in the field of linguistics -- with which you are obviously unfamiliar -- is. I'm sorry it annoys you that English-speakers consider things from an English perspective and often study Spanish, but your attitude about it is more annoying than anything else.

Yes, I’m unfamiliar with scholarship in the field of linguistics but I know very well Dutch and quite well German which are foreign languages for me. I like to see all the connections and search for those in the 5 languages I know or learn. My attidtued’s not annoying, but you’re *very* arrogant and annoying.

vai wrote:
For the record I grew up speaking Hawaiian Pidgin, a creole.

Wow!!! It’s interesting :-) please write somethings in this conversation in Hawaiian Pidgin; I never seen this language. I like very much dialects and creoles.

qklilx
United States
Joined 5998 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 32
27 December 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Vai wrote:
I'll give you a hint: he can't. His chart confirms as much -- he only even lists 18 languages.

Howzit brah? Where you stay now cuz? Nice to see a fellow local on the board. :D

It's impossible for the Professor to achieve full proficiency in all of his languages for the simple fact that several of them are dead languages and thus lack native speakers and audio media. Also, his goals as a polyglot are not to speak but to read. His reasons for that are simple: he will probably never meet a native speaker of a lot of the languages he has studied extensively. As for idioms, I've never studied a dead languages so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but is it possible to understand idioms in a language nobody uses? Save for instances of extensive context, of course.

Jar-ptitsa wrote:
You’re absolutely wrong. Language background is extremely important. You don’t care what’s the native language of a person, then you’re stupid because it’s very relevant. It’s relevant for the grammar and for the vocabulary and for the culture.

Actually I fully agree with Vai on this. One's language background has nothing to do with one's ability to learn a foreign language. It's pure individual ability and determination. Language background DOES come into play if a given individual is assigned a certain language. Say for example, a Korean assigned to learn Japanese. But what's stopping a Korean from learning any other language in the world?

Edited by qklilx on 27 December 2008 at 7:26pm

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version