Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 113 of 121
13 September 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
SPINMASTER X wrote:
William Camden wrote:
SPINMASTER X wrote:
okilegm wrote:
SPINMASTER X wrote:
Children in Luxembourg start with Luxembourgish then German then French, by the time they are in Junior High they are trilingual.

I imagine it is because their tv chanels broadcast in all these languages.
How else could everyone get an incentive and time to learn them?

Honestly I don't think TV has much to do with it. Like I said they start VERY early like in kindergarten and then everyone is always speaking all of the languages all the time. Luxembourg is also so tiny. Luxembourgers are always in someone else country and other people are always in Lux. Its like you don't have the choice to speak only 1 language. I was partying there just last night and I HAD to speak every language I knew except German then on the way back this morning I used German at the gas station next to the border because Germans were working there.

There were students from Luxembourg at Trier University (Germany) in 1983-4, when I was there. I heard others who preferred tuition in French would go to Francophone establishments in France or Belgium. Luxembourg is at a linguistic and international crossroads.

Yup, thats right. Luxembourg is in a prime linguistic spot, right where Celtic and Germanic cultures meet. Thats also cool that you went to Trier university. I live 15-20 minutes north of Trier.

My salad days, when I was green in judgement. I enjoyed the beer, and German is still my most fluent spoken L2, though I have studied many others.
1 person has voted this message useful

Razekial
Diglot
United States
Joined 5832 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 114 of 121
25 September 2008 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
I live in a region more or less dominated by monolingual Americans, with the exception of immigrants who have learned English/are learning English on top of their native language (usually Spanish). I honestly only know one person who I have regular contact with that speaks 3 languages, much less someone who speaks more.

Edited by Razekial on 26 September 2008 at 9:54pm

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6305 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 115 of 121
11 November 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
I live far from foreign countries, and the nearby minorities' languages aren't worth learning and remain exotic. Chinese, which is not far, is too hard to dare except for humanitarian students. In our scientific city, we continue to learn languages because everybody does this. :) I can't remember anyone to speak more than 3 foreign lanugages.

Those who know 3 at a quite fluent level (= without strong accent/grammatical errors), are humanitarian sciences students or graduates.

Almond
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5628 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 116 of 121
22 December 2008 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I know the guy who can speak 7 languages. He is amazing.

formiko
Nonaglot
United States
Joined 6023 days ago

848 posts - 855 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Esperanto, Indonesian, Yoruba, Cherokee, Russian, German, French
Studies: Mandarin, Ancient Greek

Message 117 of 121
23 December 2008 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
I have always been a good mimic and I can SOUND fluent while being far from fluent. I usually will take the accent of the instructor on CDs or tapes. One time, when I was learning German, I met some tourists who were speaking German. I said a few sentences from my "10 lesson knowledge" of Germsn, and one of the guys started speaking back to me rapid fire German! I was lost after word number 3, He said I spoke with a Tirol accent! (Western Austria) I've met people who know English as well as I do, but have a thick accent. So accents are a bad judge of language knowledge.

qklilx
United States
Joined 5998 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 118 of 121
23 December 2008 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
I have similar experience with accent. Or at least I did a year ago with Japanese. Before I was able to understand everything that came out of my customers' mouths I simply knew how to say certain things REALLY WELL, which caused the Japanese customers to think I was fluent, or at least pretty proficient. They were often let down when they realized how much I actually understood, and thus slowed down and simplified their sentences some.

As for polyglots, I kind of know one, but you have to lower your standards of knowing a language for him to fit the bill. He has basic conversational ability in:

Mandarin
Cantonese
Korean
Japanese
Thai
Tagalog

And he of course speaks English fluently. Korean is his best foreign language, followed by Cantonese then Mandarin. In none of these languages is his particularly "skilled" but it's impressive to see him use them. And to be honest, he might speak more; I never asked him for a list of what he knew. It's strange because the people at the dormitory took a good month or so to find out that he spoke those. I should add that he has only actively studied some of these. Most of his learning took place by writing notes during or after conversation.

joaopferrao
Pentaglot
Portugal
Joined 5616 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Icelandic

Message 119 of 121
04 January 2009 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Here in Portugal there are a lot of polyglots. I mean, lots of people speak English, Spanish, a bit of Italian and a bit of french. The last four languages are very similar, so it's not very hard for a portuguese to master them, at least in a medium level.

But if you come to terms with languages like German, swedish, russian, greek, mandarin and others that are very different from romance languages, the number of polyglots is incredibly low.

To summary, I believe I know only one polyglot: a linguistics student, that can speak portuguese, English, German, french, Italian, Spanish, romanian, czech (?), russian and a bit of finnish.

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5727 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 120 of 121
05 January 2009 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
My grade 6 French teacher (who is essentially the reason I discovered my love for languages), spoke Italian (mother tongue), French (flawlessly), English (very well but with a slight accent), Slovakian (not sure how well, and I think German... I know she spoke 5 languages fluently and that they were all European languages, but I don't remember what the last one was. I think it was German.

Currently, I have a friend who speaks Chieu Chow (mother tongue - not sure of the spelling), English (mother tongue), Cantonese (with a very good accent), can understand Vietnamese, and is actively studying French. English is currently her strongest language, however.

This discussion contains 121 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version