Whisker
United States
Joined 5561 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
27 February 2009 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
Hello

My question is refering to becoming a translator.

I´m currently in Ecuador for student exchange, and have gained fluency in Spanish.

However now I´m interested in persuing another language.

Would it be possible to be a seccesfully (well off ) in reference to finances.

offtransalator/ linguist with three language.

Ex. Spanish, English, Russian.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------

In your opinion, what will be the 10 most desired languages in the next ten years, in which in can find employment, through translating/ linguistics.

Also what is the normal pay for jobs in this employment.

Thank you

Rolly

1 person has voted this message useful

LittleKey
Diglot
United States
Joined 5764 days ago

146 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
03 March 2009 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
I don't know about this, but common sense dictates that the more languages you know the more wanted you will be as a translator (see: more money, and able to pick your jobs).

I'd say important languages to know are Spanish, which you already know so that's good, French, Mandarin Chinese, and Japanese. I've heard that Brazil is getting more and more successful economy wise, so Portuguese might be a good choice. Also, India is advancing just like China and Brazil are, although I think many people in India that you would be talking to already know English (not sure about that though, it might be worth researching further). Good luck with whatever you choose though!

Edited by LittleKey on 03 March 2009 at 3:05am

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5687 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 3 of 7
03 March 2009 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Like LittleKey said, those are good languages to start with if you want to go into business. If you would like a government job in the future,what I am wanting to do, I would say Spanish,Russian(I see Russian making a come back as it did in the Cold War), Chinese(any dialect),Korean,Farsi(a big one), and of course Arabic and the dialects. Other wise you are off to a good start I would say. Keep it up!

Frost
United States
Joined 5615 days ago

27 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Norwegian, Faroese, Greek

Message 4 of 7
03 March 2009 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Russia has a multitude of natural resources and I'm predicting that it will surge into the international economy in my lifetime. The fact that many Russians do not speak English is another motivating factor for learning the language. I see Russia as a beautiful, yet still misunderstood country that I can only hope to learn about from within--that is, by learning the language.

I'm trying to decide between Russian and Arabic. I know that both are objectively difficult languages for English speakers but at the young age of 16, I still have a lifetime to learn both in their entirety. That is, a "lifetime of language learning." Driven by interest in both Russian culture and the cultures where Arabic is spoken, I'm not discouraged in the slightest about potentially hitting a "wall" in my language studies. That is why I recommend (to the original poster) choosing a language based purely on your self-interest as opposed to job prospects. Despite what other people may be telling you, job opportunities will certainly open up if you learn a language spoken by 167 million people, or even more with Arabic!

If you are in college and on a student exchange, many prestigious universities offer linguistics as a major. My guidance counselor told me linguistics was a "useless" major and I'd be wasting my intellect if I chose to follow that path. I'll have you know that I promptly switched guidance counselors! Linguistics courses in combination with self-study of a language is indeed one of many paths to take for an aspiring polyglot.

To follow up on my previous prediction of Russian speakers becoming sought after, I'm also predicting Farsi and Arabic to become hugely important--especially if the conflict in the Middle East continues! Good luck with whatever path you decide upon.

Edited by Frost on 03 March 2009 at 5:07am

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5695 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 5 of 7
13 March 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Russian, Chinese, Spanish, Japanese, French. Sorted for life.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6477 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 6 of 7
15 March 2009 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Spanish is definitely on the rise as an international language; English and French will probably stay as important as they are right now.

Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, and Hindi are all becoming more important due the economic rise of their respective countries, but not very like to expand as international languages (i.e. used as linguae francae between non-native speakers).

Arabic has a huge potential to become a truly international language, as a possible lingua franca in the Muslim world.

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6064 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 7
16 March 2009 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
When it comes to being a translator/interpreter, I can tell you with confidence that the number of languages you know is not nearly as important as how well you know them. Like it or not, many agencies/companies are actually are hesitant to hire someone claiming to have proficiency in seven languages, even if these languages are in high demand. You might want to limit yourself to a very high (near native) command of three languages before you learn any more. Chinese is hands down the biggest right now but Korean, Thai, Vietnamese and Portuguese may very well become even more important. There is a lot of demand for Americans who know good Chinese but only a few who do. Add that to your native English and Spanish and you'd have a great combination. Just remember that quality is much more important than quality.

You can make a healthy six figure salary as a translator/interpreter but the key is to specialize. How many translators can talk about microbiology with ease in both Chinese and English. How many translators are familiar with the laws of both the USA and Ecuador? Such a specialization would make you valuable since there would only be a handful of people in the whole world who could competently translate/interpret in those fields.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version