Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3937 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 1 of 10
01 January 2014 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
I recently embarked on a journey to learn this particular dialect of the Arabic Language,
particularly the Lebanese form. I also started another topic on resources to learn this
language. These resources are fairly boring, and since I am one of the biggest
procrastinators, I often find myself leaving it for 4 or 5 days. I have now reached a
point where I am not studying it at all.

I know there is no particular 'best' way to learn a language and it is personal, but I
would be grateful if you shared your experiences with this language, how you approached
it, what resources you used and what you did to reinforce it.

Thanks in advance. This website has really helped me in my motivation to finally conquer
this language!
1 person has voted this message useful

MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3937 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 2 of 10
03 January 2014 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Any thoughts?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 6007 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 3 of 10
03 January 2014 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Take a look at this thread. You may want to check the links, etc.

I noticed from your posts (not that many, after all) that you have a really practical, down-to-earth purpose. Taking that into account, wouldn't it be good if you also tried speaking to someone who's a Levantine Arabic speaker about your search? Counterintuitive as it may seem, a native speaker may give you very valuable resource hints.

Anyway, good luck to you, mate!

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2014 at 5:06am

2 persons have voted this message useful

MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3937 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 4 of 10
03 January 2014 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Thanks Luso. I really appreciate it. I have tried to consult my family members for help
and guidance but put me down for not knowing the language or do not know how to teach
it. I know this specific type of dialect is spoken and is supposed to be absorbed, but
I would like to learn it step-by-step as this will make my understanding much more
better and clearer.

In addition, my family members are natives from Lebanon who immigrated to Australia so
I also assume that they would not know any valuable resources.

Having a look at the link you provided me with, I notice that it is mostly Persian and
MSA (Modern Standard Arabic) and not the dialect I particularly want.

I have bought and read the book 'Spoken Lebanese' by Maksoud Feghali but found it to
daunting and not clear enough in terms of grammar. I also had a look at Pimsleur's
Eastern Arabic but that was Syrian-orientated and probably not understood by my family
members. Also, The Michel Thomas Course is in the Egyptian dialect

Any help is greatly and utterly appreciated!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 6007 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 5 of 10
03 January 2014 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
You should go into the logs of the people learning Levantine Arabic. There you can find more links, more softwares, more approaches.

Knowing HTLAL, there's bound to be someone that already addressed the issue: go to search, check the threads, members' profiles, etc.

No matter what you do, don't wait for the answer to fall into your lap, especially given the specificity of your question.

EDIT #1: Try this thread.

EDIT #2: Do you live in a city? Is there a Lebanese, Syrian or Jordanian community? Do they have second- or third-generation people learning the language? Is there an Eastern Christian Church where you live?

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2014 at 6:19am

2 persons have voted this message useful

MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3937 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 6 of 10
03 January 2014 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Thanks again Luso. I'll double-check the thread again. The problem with my family and
generation is that most of these people are exposed to this Arabic at a young age and
develop it as a native language besides English. My parents wanted me to do well in
school and studies (the Lebanese aren't majorly academic) and only talked to me in
English and exposed me to English tapes and shows. Nevertheless, I do live next to a
Lebanese (Maronite) Church and go there regularly for mass, celebrations, e.t.c.

I think I have the habit of being spoon-fed which probably leads to my procrastination. I
think I have to do better research. I really appreciate your help Luso. You might be my
only chance! Thanks again!

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 7 of 10
08 January 2014 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
It sounds like you have lots of access to native speakers but some barriers to structured study. Are there opportunities through your church, maybe volunteering with older folks who you could speak Arabic with? I would think you would need a basic understanding of some Arabic first. I don't know what level you are at, but maybe getting a basis in MSA to get the grammar basics and then working with some Lebanese Arabic speakers?

Family can be weird sometimes, especially when they chose to not have you learn the language growing up. Maybe letting them know you want to reconnect with this part of your heritage will nudge them into helping you. If you keep at it, they will probably get past giving you a hard time about it will start working with you on it.

MasterMelhem
Australia
Joined 3937 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes

Message 8 of 10
14 January 2014 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
I ordered the 701 Lebanese Verbs by Maroun Kassab from Amazon and hope to start with
that. Thanks for all your advice

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version