Dead Languages & Polyglottery

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
115 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 Next >>
FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5776 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 105 of 115
07 October 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I can't believe you couldn't find a bilingual edition of Spinoza's ethics! Look for it on the net, it's quite common for philosophers to throw Spinoza quotes in latin, myself being one of these weirdos, and the same goes for Erasmus and company. The problem might be that we're talking about expensive scientifical editions, but here a good library might help. Ah, of course, first give good old latin a try!
1 person has voted this message useful

Tjerk
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6583 days ago

54 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: Swedish

Message 106 of 115
08 October 2008 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Sulpicius wrote:
Tjerk wrote:
I think Latin is valuable tool. I studied it for four years in high school and it
helped me an awful lot to learn English, French and Spanish. It is a very structured language and a must for
somebody who loves a rigid grammar, with everything nice sorted up. It also helps to understand better
prefixes and roots and helps a lot in seeing the link between languages.

You can learn latin on a very quick schedule. The main reason for this is that it is dead. So no trouble to
understand, speak or write it. The sole purpose of latin nowadays is reading. So you only have to study basic
vocabulary from Latin to your mother tongue. Accidental harder vocab you don't have to remember. And then
you have to study the grammar, but I have to admit : Latin grammar is a jewel. It is so perfect in itself, very hard
to use it actively, but facinating to see the magic work. Latin is a very compact language, every word tells a lot
due to its different cases.

When I studied it, I was twelve years old, and the only foreign language I had a (very small) base in was French,
no English yet. We had four hours a week class and already in the second year we read Caesar, third year
mythology and fourth year Cicero and Seneca.

So I think with your extended base in languages and the fact you master Spanish (together with Italian the
closest remnant) you can be reading Caesar or Ovidius within two or three months. Cicero, Tacitus and Seneca
half a year I would say. Furthermore your knowledge of latin will lead to a better and deeper connected
understanding of your roman and Germanic languages.

Just a teaser, how much do you already understand:

Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua
Celtae, nostra Galli appelantur. Hi omnes lingua, institutis, legibus inter se differunt. Horum omnium fortissimi
sunt Belgae...

(Beginning of Caesar's De Bello Gallico, and as you can imagine a long time favourite in Belgium :-)

There is something wrong if one is able to supposedly read Caesar or Ovid in three months... Regardless of their
romance language base since none of the romance languages have retained the degree of the case system... the
analytical nature has also faded from its descendants. It takes years to be able to read Cicero without
butcheringly translating word for word or jumping around in a sentence. The syntax takes time... I strongly
doubt anyone claiming to read Cicero in 6 months, (most classes in college are at least two semesters) can
seriously comprehend him as he was meant to be comprehended.

I beg to differ. I was speaking to a native Spanish speaking person who knew already several languages. It is
definitely possible. As I pointed out, you only have to understand the language, not speak it and the language is
extremely well ordered, so you recognize a lot of structure elements identically to the languages you already
speak. Learning cases isn't that hard, ask anybody who learned German. It's quite easy to recognize them while
reading, the hard part of cases is using them as you speak, but this is not necessary for reading Latin

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5776 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 107 of 115
08 October 2008 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
True enough, but I don't think, for example, that the use of ablative in that Caesar excerpt is so easy and straightforward for a layman. The same word "lingua" means "in a language" in a sentence and "concerning their language" in the next. The construction is clear, but it also requires some experience to be untangled. The use of relative pronouns and parallel constructions is sometimes a stumble block.
Also, if there was a thing that my latin professor taught me is that there is no "I kind of get the gist" for latin: either you understand every bit, and are able to account for all that's going on, or you simply don't know latin and you get an E. Highschool lore, perhaps, but people from Italy or Spain must be wary of false friends and that treacherous air of familiarity.
Let's be frank about it, latin IS difficult. It can be learned fast by an adult, but what difference does it make to devote 6 or 48 months to a language that has been around for millennia? It's a LEGO(TM) language, ok, but it's also rich in evasive subtleties, which ultimately make up its charm. It's a language that unfolds with time, like good wine, so give it three or four years or what it takes and let it grow on you. If the whole point is just getting the sense, there are excellent translations in every bookstore.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6529 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 108 of 115
08 October 2008 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
It may be difficult to resume in a few words how to use the ablative in Latin. But it is even more difficult to give rules for the uses of prepositions in English, and the use of prepositions instead of case markers is the way English deals with NOT having an ablative (or a rich case system in general). Every language is difficult enough to keep its speakers busy, but the problems are distributed differently. In in spite of the Latin teacher of Francesco P there certainly is something like getting the gist by disregarding some of the problems for a while, but sooner or later you have to deal with them.

I learnt Latin during two periods back in the 60s and 70s, and Cicero was on the program during the last period. I did reach the point where I could read his defence talks without too much of a problem, but I never learnt to speak the language, and therefore I forgot it almost totally when at long last I had taken my exam. There are two reasons for this. The first is obvious: nobody expected us to speak it or even to write it (apart from translations), and therefore we didn't train these skills. The second is more subtle: because our goal was to learn difficult texts - and the famous speeches by Cicero definitely are to be counted among these - reading them became something like a cirkus stunt. We were always working with texts beyond our capabilities and therefore never got time to consolidate our skills using easy texts. And to get active fluency you shouldn't start with the distant end point, you have to go through a phase where your utterances are quite basic, maybe even fragmentary and errorridden.

I have been relearning my Latin (not continually, but in bursts as explained in other threads), but this time I seriously do try to think in Latin (at least while I'm reading texts), and of course I have to think in much more basic terms than the great Cicero with his contrived and artsy sentence constructions and large vocabulary. Unfortunately the 'easy reader' text base from the classic period is limited, so I will be thinking in a fairly formal style if I do succeed in learning Latin as an active language, but as I'm just doing it for fun and not for discussing with long dead Romans this really doesn't matter.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5725 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 109 of 115
10 October 2008 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
FrancescoP wrote:
I can't believe you couldn't find a bilingual edition of Spinoza's ethics!

I couldn't believe it either. If anyone can point me to a specific edition or copy, I would be very grateful!

As it stands though, I've given up the idea of learning Latin. No sense whatsoever in doing so if I won't be able to procure the books I want to read in that language. I'm very disheartened.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5725 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 110 of 115
14 October 2008 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Well, I've since found a couple of bilingual editions at Amazon.de and Amazon.fr. The key was not to look for "Ethica", "bilingual" or "Latin", but simply search for "Spinoza" and then browse all editions.

While Latin editions of other important works from modernity remain frustratingly difficult to obtain, I think the influence of both the Roman world and its language upon ours, as well as its sheer beauty, merit me learning Latin after all.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5974 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 111 of 115
25 November 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:
Well, I've since found a couple of bilingual editions at Amazon.de and Amazon.fr. The key was not to look for "Ethica", "bilingual" or "Latin", but simply search for "Spinoza" and then browse all editions.

While Latin editions of other important works from modernity remain frustratingly difficult to obtain, I think the influence of both the Roman world and its language upon ours, as well as its sheer beauty, merit me learning Latin after all.

Most Latin books have been in the public domain for at least a hundred years! (I mean those published in the 18th century) You can find loads of them on Google Books or various sites online.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5673 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 112 of 115
27 February 2009 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I have learned Latin at grammar school and the point is that my normal ways of keeping a language fun and active don't work for this language. Let me give you examples:

1. Where can you find penfriends corresponding in Latin?

2. Where can you find popmusic in Latin?

3. Where can you find cooking books with recipes in Latin?

4. Where can you find people for a private conversation group in Latin?

5. Where can you buy modern astronomy books in Latin?

6. With whom can you exchange e-mails in Latin?

Alls these questions show, what makes it difficult for me to maintain a suitable level of Latin, even more as I am not a reader of classical literature texts.

Fasulye-Babylonia

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version