Joined 5886 days ago

165 posts - 203 votes 

Message 113 of 115
27 February 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://schola.ning.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ3NYfYDtVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DT9Q5xrpl8&feature=related

You can also find Dr. Ammondt's professionally produced albums of Elvis songs in Latin here:

http://www.drammondt.com/english/index.php?page=music

Please don't be fooled by the allure of Rocking in Latin's album cover; The Legend Lives Forever in Latin is the far better album!
1 person has voted this message useful

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6415 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 114 of 115
27 February 2009 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
I have learned Latin at grammar school and the point is that my normal ways of keeping a language fun and active don't work for this language. Let me give you examples:

1. Where can you find penfriends corresponding in Latin?

Schola

2. Where can you find popmusic in Latin?

Elvis (and Finnish tangos!) in Latin. Website is worth a chuckle.
   Black Sabbath tribute
   Deus Ex Machina

3. Where can you find cooking books with recipes in Latin?

Apicius

4. Where can you find people for a private conversation group in Latin?

One of many

5. Where can you buy modern astronomy books in Latin?

No clue. Keine Ahnung.

6. With whom can you exchange e-mails in Latin?

Schola

I do understand what you mean, Fasulye. I derive a completely different kind of enjoyment from Latin than I do from my modern languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 115 of 115
28 February 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
magister wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
I have learned Latin at grammar school and the point is that my normal ways of keeping a language fun and active don't work for this language. Let me give you examples:

I do understand what you mean, Fasulye. I derive a completely different kind of enjoyment from Latin than I do from my modern languages.

Thank you for the suggestions, magister. It's interesting to discuss this with a teacher of Latin. Perhaps your pupils at school have similar frustrations with the language as I have. I had 4 1/4 years of Latin at school and I obtained my baccalaureate in 1980. I did a complete fesh-up of my Latin while studying Romance languages from 1992-1995, after that I abandoned Latin. What I most liked about this language is its grammar structure and what completely turned me off were all these endless Latin-German translations, I was always forced to make. When I read a text in a foreign language, I want to assimilate the foreign language and to think in this language about the text. But I have never learned to do this in Latin, because my Latin teachers always forced me to translate every text. So when I stopped studying Romance languages in 1995, there was no way of integrating Latin into my daily life. Therefore my level of Latin has really declined a big lot since 1995. I should have had internet sites like "Ephmeris" and "Schola" in 1995, but of course that was before the general internet age. These cooking recipes for instance they are now too difficult for me to understand. Reading an article about astronomy in Ephemeris works better, I have tried that out. But generally it's frustrating for me that I cannot integrate such a language into my normal polyglot life.

Fasulye-Babylonia

Edited by Fasulye on 01 March 2009 at 6:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version