Message 41 of 115
21 July 2006 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
sigiloso wrote:
I read modern latinist associations work for a complete
update of vocabulary to the needs of modern world, and there's a number of
magazines with Latin with comics etc, as a normally living language, I cannot
recall the names now but they do exist. Maybe we are all but a bunch of
mourners...

Are you possibly referring to Interlingua?
link. My question is
hypothetical. I don't mean to get off-topic.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sinfonia
Wales
Joined 6556 days ago

255 posts - 261 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 42 of 115
21 July 2006 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
sigiloso wrote:

Sinfonia: Maybe we could open a thread in Specific Languages, but, do you speak, or know, Sardinian?; I see you mention it with respect; I know it is a bit of classical pronunciation survivor, and you say it could help understand Cicero as an example of your "reverse" view. Have you got materials? Do you know if its situation is improving in the island?

There is quite a lot of learning material available for the Sardinian language (or languages, as I ought to say). I wouldn't say I was a fluent speaker, but I could certainly get by in the language, and I can read it fluently.

sigiloso wrote:

What I don't take is your Aragonese. Come on, let's be serious. I know Caito is interested for ancestry reasons, but no speakers, no culture, no standard, no materials; it is in the category "could have existed", (yes I admit, it is a kind of existence). Are you by any chance believing in the existence of these supposed languages from the Ethnologue? What a phenomenon! Everybody quotes Ethnologue; as someone from the British Council said, it is just the hobby compilation of a retired psychologist...It depicts a world of inmense linguistic diversity...

Ethnologue has its flaws, I agree; yet I wish I had a dollar for every time a (Castilian) Spaniard's told me that Aragonese, Asturian, Extremaduran and even Galician are not proper languages!

Well, despite Franco trying to beat it out of existence, I'm sorry to have to break it to you that Aragonese is a proper language, with a long history, current speakers, materials and some degree of official recognition.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6680 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 43 of 115
21 July 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
What is Ethnologue?

Sinfonia
Wales
Joined 6556 days ago

255 posts - 261 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 44 of 115
21 July 2006 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
What is Ethnologue?

See http://www.ethnologue.com

sigiloso
Heptaglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 6591 days ago

87 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, PortugueseC1, Galician, French, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Russian, Greek

Message 45 of 115
22 July 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
AML: no, Interlingua is a different thing, is like Slovio in Slavonic languages or...theres another project in the Germanic family; they are like "intra-family" Esperantos. I am an Esperanto user/no-fanatic-supporter and so don't support this ones, which surely work very well for speakers of any language in the family (see the thread on Slovio out there). Neither it was the project Latino sine flexione. It is pure Latin used in the modern world, which is possible.

Sinfonia wrote:
Ethnologue has its flaws, I agree; yet I wish I had a dollar for every time a (Castilian) Spaniard's told me that Aragonese, Asturian, Extremaduran and even Galician are not proper languages!
Well, despite Franco trying to beat it out of existence, I'm sorry to have to break it to you that Aragonese is a proper language, with a long history, current speakers, materials and some degree of official recognition.

All right, thanks. Points seriously taken. Ill try to find the time for some research on this. Maybe I should move to Wales to gain some insight into my own country!

breckes
Triglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6611 days ago

84 posts - 89 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian
Studies: Italian, Dutch, Swedish

Message 46 of 115
22 July 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
sigiloso wrote:
AML: no, Interlingua is a different thing, is like Slovio in Slavonic languages or...theres another project in the Germanic family; they are like "intra-family" Esperantos. I am an Esperanto user/no-fanatic-supporter and so don't support this ones, which surely work very well for speakers of any language in the family (see the thread on Slovio out there). Neither it was the project Latino sine flexione. It is pure Latin used in the modern world, which is possible.
In fact Latino sine flexione has also been called "Interlingua". There are two Interliguas.

sigiloso
Heptaglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 6591 days ago

87 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, PortugueseC1, Galician, French, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Russian, Greek

Message 47 of 115
22 July 2006 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
I've just read some texts in Aragonese. I understood 98%, so this is my fastest learned language ever, ( around 2 minutes). Is Spanish with terrible spelling mistakes as it were; I am not a linguistic bigot. Happy I have one more language. I am dekaglot at least now. Oh dear.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6515 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 115
23 July 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged 

Iversen wrote:
let me reveal a secret: it is not the subtle points of rethorics that have survived into the descendants.

sigiloso wrote:
What do you mean exactly?

I have just had a peek into one of my old Latin grammars. I happened to open the page with personal pronouns, and quis/qui alone filled one page, derivations such as qusinam, quisquis, quicumque (oh yes, that's French quiconque), quispiam, quivis, - an intricate system, but in general terms stone dead. And nouns? nominative, acusative, genitive, dative, ablative and a bit of vocative? Where is that? Stone dead, - only Romanian still has got Nominative/Accusative versus Genitive/Dative (and a neuter, that combines singular from masculine forms and plural from feminine). Deponent verbs? Stone dead. Supinum futurum? Stone dead. And then we are still only at the formal grammar, I have not even touched upon things like the subtle way that classical authors like to sprinkle elements from the verbal phrase all over the sentence.

Yet no one would deny that all the Romance languages date back to Latin, and WHEN you know one or more of them you can have much fun tracing its roots back to big mama Latin.

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version