N_J_F
Australia
Joined 4052 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 5
11 January 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Hi all

I did a search through the forum archives, but apologies if this has been answered previously.

Although I appreciate the usefulness of the 'scriptorum' method and I use this quite a lot with my Assimil courses, I do tend to find that I'm spending a lot of time typing out vocabulary into my excel spreadsheets for later use. I would much rather be using this time to actually learn more vocabulary or progress further through my coursebooks!

I thought a scanner pen might be useful, especially for creating flashcards from native materials.

Could anyone suggest a scanner pen that has proven useful in picking up devanagari and French and Latin accents? I'm not interested in any other features that some of the pens have. If necessary, I am happy to one a couple of scanner pens if there is one that is good for devanagari and another that's good for latin-derived languages. I will be going through all the scanned material so a few errors doesn't concern me.

Thanks in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 2 of 5
11 January 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
I looked into a scanner pen before but online reviews weren't very good and a friend of mine said they didn't
work very well either. OCR technology has been making huge leaps in the past few years, though, which will
hopefully change that.

JohnPaul
Diglot
Joined 5656 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 5
20 February 2014 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
I want to bump this post back up because I was daydreaming about a pen scanner that could be used to help quickly
define words and create lists for flash cards etc. After quite a bit of googling and not enough homework I found
these items. Has anyone used one?

ScanMarker
http://scanmarker.com/

Reviews:

1043/">http://techettes.com/scanmarker-the-highlighter-for-t he-modern-student-1043/

http://dogknobit.com/2013/05/31/product-reviews-the-scanmark er-and-orapup-one-youll-want-right-now-
the-other-not-so-much/

C-Pen 3.5
http://www.ectaco.com/bluetooth-cpen/

World Pen Scan BT ( Which looks a lot like the C-Pen 3.5)
Youtube review World Pen ....
2 persons have voted this message useful

N_J_F
Australia
Joined 4052 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 5
22 February 2014 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Apologies as I seem to have overlooked the response on 11th January.

I purchased the CPen 3.0 and it's works pretty well. At the moment I'm studying French, German and Latin
and it manages to scan correctly about 70% of the time. There were comments on Amazon that it doesn't
scan underlined text but I haven't experienced that.

The only problems I have is that I am using Assimil texts and with the french course there are arcs below the
text to show liaisons between words and that seems to stop the scanner reading the actual texts correctly.
Having said that, these arcs are very rarely encountered outside of some Assimil courses so I probably can't
fault the CPen.

The main issue is when you scan a word or phrase that is mid-sentence. It's is next to impossible to position
the scanner pen without importing a few letters or extra spacing so you have to do a fair bit of editing.

The CPen does not work for Devanagari which is unfortunate because it takes me forever to type in this
alphabet. As far as I'm aware, it will scan Greek and Cyrillic but I'm not sure how well this works.

Hope this helps.

JohnPaul
Diglot
Joined 5656 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 5
23 February 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
So I found this youtube review of the ScanMarker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRM3jU2t2vU

Seems to work well enough. I'd love to know what happens if you attempt to scan just one word.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version