Joined 6771 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 9 of 37
22 January 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to hide the language from us. There are great language-specific resources like Destinos, French in action or Deutsche
Welle, and specific caveats for each language too. Also, tons of posts in the advice center are based on learning a different language but encountering the same
difficulties. Not to mention that if it's Spanish, he'll have much more opportunities than with any other language.

It will also be more productive if you tell us a bit about your friend, his strong sides, what things you're fairly sure he won't do anyway, a bit about his job: what
sort of professional purposes he needs the L2 for and even simply how much driving or other kinds of dead time his job involves. etc etc etc. He said it himself that
YOU know him well. If you don't trust your own judgement, you also need to give us this information. Don't forget his language learning experience too: he has next to
no knowledge of this particular language, but has he ever tried something else before? What problems did he have? Was there anything he liked, anything that worked?

I apologize for not making it clear that this post is less about my friend and more about you. What would YOU, Serpent, do if you had to learn one of
French/Spanish/German to comprehensive fluency in 18 months?

Forget about my friend. His story was just motivation for me to ask, perhaps too generally, what would YOU GUYS, the experts, do to learn a major European language,
that has tons of materials, literature, music, tv, movies, (everything you could want), in 18 months knowing that you had to move there and function fluently in every
way?

I don't want to know what people in general do. I know what people in general do. I want to know YOUR specific protocol to conquer, ok I'll just tell you, German. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6543 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 37
22 January 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
What I would do is quite irrelevant given that I started German over 10 years ago, Spanish something like 4 years ago and French is something I'd only consider learning in its written form because I hate the sound of it. And I have a background in linguistics and also learned English as a second language, even if it's my only fluent Germanic language for now :/ We can't just discard our experience, because you do need to make mistakes and wander to find your right way to learn a language.

I will think of it some more :) But even a good language learning book should tell you about several ways to learn, not just one. Have you read that pdf about 7 successful learners, btw? Or Boris Shekhtman's book?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4653 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 37
22 January 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Serpent - situations are not ceteris paribus, almost never.

If I had to learn them to fluency, Spanish is the only relevant example - and I'd work
through one coursebook and read a lot of stuff. Not much more than that. Once I'd get a
bit confident I'd work on speaking with a teacher, doing lots of presentations and
"formulate this RIGHT" exercises.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5165 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 12 of 37
22 January 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
+1 for what EMK said but Deutsche Wellehave some TV shows online too.

Not a cake walk but definitely doable and in the eastern part of Germany the level of English is still quite poor.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4634 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 37
22 January 2014 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I may have missed some of this due to too much skimming, but I would worry most about
how to reach B2-level speaking in this timeframe , starting from scratch while living
in the US. Surely it is *possible*, but it would require a lot of things to go right.
Speaking from my experience, I know that reaching this level in both reading and
listening, as well as writing (when given unlimited time and reference resources) would
be theoretically pretty simple for me. Speaking doesn't seem to be mentally more
difficult (maybe even less so), but it's the only one of the four skills that isn't
trivial to simply practice anytime you want--ESPECIALLY if you aren't targeting Spanish
(or something spoken by a close friend/family member willing to help out).

As one who hasn't actually succeeded at THIS portion of the equation, I defer to others
to elaborate.

As for the other skills, this is pretty much what I did with French (I'm probably still
just a little shy of B2 in listening, and maybe even more so in writing, but I didn't
come close to focusing on French for 18 straight months, and had very little practical
motivation to practice writing, both of which would make a big difference). It's
similar to what emk described.

I started with Assimil. At the same time, I started reading Harry Potter extensively,
while simultaneously reading it in German (which I understood already) to give myself
context. I listened to French radio (RFI) all the time, including in the background at
work. I watched TV5MONDE, especially soccer matches, and tried to listen as best I
could. I read more Harry Potter, and some Lord of the Rings. I finished Assimil. I
practiced writing basic sentences, and eventually started writing a daily journal entry
in French. Basically, anything I found interesting and could get motivated to do;
anything that would increase my total exposure time to French. From time to time I
would look up grammar tables because I was sick of seeing certain forms over and over
and not knowing what they were.

I actually fell off the Assimil wagon halfway through, but I continued reading and
listening. When I eventually came back to Assimil, naturally it was a lot easier.

The reason that I didn't stick with French intensively for the whole time was that I
was also spending time doing things with Dutch, German, Italian and occasionally other
languages, which wouldn't pose a problem in your hypothetical scenario.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 4090 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 14 of 37
22 January 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Ah, that's a very different question! This what works for me. YMMV.

1. Pick a course to get you at least to A2. For me, it was a mix of Pimsleur (first 16 lessons available for free at
the library) and Duolingo. My goal was to learn for (mostly) free, so I didn't purchase any courses. But if I had
more money, I'd probably read reviews and pick *one* of Assimil, Teach Yourself, Pimsleur, etc. I honestly believe
that the course itself isn't too important - what's important is that you pick one, commit to it, and see it through
without looking back or questioning your choice too much. For me, this is just for the very beginning of language
learning. The course will get me started, but it won't "teach" me the language.

2. Listen to music. When I first started learning Spanish, I picked a song every week and sang along with it every
day. Music is great for building vocabulary.

3. Start listening right away. For French I recommend French in Action; for Spanish I recommend Destinos. What's
important is to find something easy enough that you can puzzle it out and slowly start building your listening
comprehension. While I do see the importance of listening to the language to internalize the sounds and rhythm,
I think that the most important thing is comprehensible input - and lots of it. This is where music, shows like FIA,
and podcasts like Notes in Spanish come in. (I'm sure there's something similar available in German).

4. Choose a way to practice vocabulary. For me - and for many language learners - the best option is anki. I
strongly recommend making your own cards, using words that you actually want to use, rather than opting for
pre-made decks. I tend to build my decks in spurts; committing to X number of new words per day never really
worked for me.

5. Find someone to practice with on a regular basis (several times a week, ideally). If you have more time than
money, go for language exchange partners. If you have more money than time, opt for a tutor. (But it has to be a
*good* tutor. Don't waste your money on someone inflexible who won't stray from their "lesson plans". I only
work with tutors who are confident enough to wing it with me. If someone insists on using pre made lesson plans
with me, I move on to a new tutor.) I believe in starting very early with spoken practice; others will disagree with
me.

6. Get a basic grammar book (or if you don't want to spend any money, find a good website. The about guides
are actually decent when it comes to grammar explanations). Whether you like to study grammar explicitly or you
prefer to learn it more naturally, it's helpful to have a guide to refer to when you get confused - or when you find
yourself ready for more complicated structures.

7. Read a book. Even better if you can listen to the audiobook at the same time. I personally believe in reading
"easy" text rather than bludgeoning my way through stuff that's really hard. I started with side-by-side copies of
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After you've read one book, read another. Commit to daily reading - even as
little as 15 minutes per day. People who read more tend to have better grammar and stronger vocabulary.

8. Find a hook. You know what you like, so work towards being able to do it. For me, the hooks are novels and
TV shows. So I built my way up through very easy reading and listening until I was able to do what I loved. Once
you can do what you love, then language-learning becomes much easier, since it doesn't feel like work.

9. If you want to be able to conduct business in a second language, then it's really important to hone your writing
skills. (confession: I'm really bad at committing to writing on a regular basis) Write regularly, and get your work
corrected by native speakers.

9. Do something every day.

10. Incorporate native materials as soon as possible. Use repetition, subtitles, side-by-side copies, or the help of
a (very patient) native speaker to help make difficult material more accessible. Some people spend years doing
canned course after canned course, only to find themselves completely unable to have a conversation with a real,
live human being.

11. Take risks.

12. Have fun.
5 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 15 of 37
22 January 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
For someone who doesn't have the time or the desire to look into designing their own
study plan, the easiest thing to say is to recommend one or a few good courses. If
Michel Thomas is available for the language, I favor starting with that since you get a
good overview of the structure (rather than waiting forever to be introduced to topics
such as the subjunctive) though I know he's not everyone's cup of tea. The <i>
[French/German/Spanish/etc] for Reading</i> books are also good for a quick overview as
they're designed for graduate students to be able to pass proficiency exams for
additional required languages relatively quickly and easily. For Spanish there's also
<i>Madrigal's Magical Key to Spanish</i> which is great.

As for courses, it's a matter of taste and how they plan on studying. If their main
study time is commute time, for example, it's easier to work with an audio-based course
such as Pimsleur. Assimil or FSI will take you further but either requires dedicated
study time or that the student wouldn't object to having to edit and prepare audio
files for learning on the go (if driving, you'd only be able to review and maybe shadow
prior Assimil dialogues).

For preparing to move to the country, I favor a lot of listening exposure early on (ok
with subtitles), preferably to something they wouldn't mind watching over and over
again. Even though I only catch a little word or phrase here and there in Irish while
watching Aifric, watching the show really helps demystify the language for me and as I
re-watch it after progressing a bit in my studies I manage to understand more which is
very motivating.

If not on a really tight budget, a good private tutor can do wonders. Otherwise, try to
find conversation partners and/or start writing a journal. I think to get to a high
level quickly you don't want to delay working on activating your skills. Looking at a
list of CEFR/ACTFL guidelines should be a good way of determining if you're making good
progress in what you're able to do with the language.

Finally, if they want to work on vocabulary, I'd favor Memrise over Anki for this "just
tell me what to do" student. I think there's a bit of a learning curve to learning to
use Anki to its full benefit whereas you can be reviewing essential vocabulary right
off the bat with Memrise and Memrise just seems better to me for learning new
vocabulary. Plus there are plenty of "most frequent word" courses that ought to be
useful. Once he has some experience under his belt and is working with a lot more
native materials, he may take more of an interest in tools such as Anki.

Edited by sctroyenne on 22 January 2014 at 8:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5208 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 16 of 37
22 January 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
What a shame your friend doesn't want to come on HTLAL! He's really missing out on a great way to get help along the way.

Short answer: For most of these languages there are plenty of resources available. The danger is overkill. Not every method is for everyone. I would use two formal, structured courses for synergy (Pimsleur, MT, FSI or Assimil) Listening from the beginning should NOT be overlooked. Also, I'd seriously look into getting an online skype tutor. Price is anywhere from $10-$20 an hour generally. Even twice a month sessions will do wonders for his learning.

Longer answer: I'd get hold of Pimsleur and a good, basic structured course. Pimsleur is available in all three languages. If the local library doesn't have it, ask for an inter-library loan. if done at one unit a day with some repeats it should be doable in three and a half months. At the same time, I'd choose a course to do, FSI, Assimil,Teach Yourself, Hugo in 3 Months, something. I'd go through both simultaneously, one in the morning and one in the evening. I'd get the Ankidroid app for my phone, I'd rip the Pimsleur CDs to mp3, and buy a phrasebook to utilize "hidden moments" throughout the day (waiting for things, driving and walking for listening) to get in as much practice as possible. I'd get a twitter account and start following people tweeting in the TL. I'd try to spend at least 10 minutes in a day to puzzle out a tweet on my own using a dictionary. If you have a smartphone, twitter can be reviewed during those hidden moments throughout the day. I'd start speaking as soon as possible, either with a paid tutor or via a free language exchange. As soon as possible, I'd start writing short posts on lang8.

The main thing is that the friend should be consistent and persistent doing something in the language everyday- there are no excuses! He should expose himself to as much TL listening as possible throughout the day. He should set mini goals for himself throughout the process. A major goal to work towards can be a huge motivating factor- i.e. passing a test by a set date.

Benny, has some good advice here: How to speak a language pretty well, starting from scratch, in just two months FI3M

I explain the multi-track approach here.

tastyonions log is a good guide and he made great progress in a short amount of time.

emk- French: Wandering towards C1 emk's methods can be adapted to any western language.

Edited by iguanamon on 22 January 2014 at 9:00pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version