Diglot
Finland
Joined 3919 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 12
25 January 2014 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
For the last 3-4 months I've been studying my language (Korean) on average about 5
hours every day, I have never ending amounts of time and dedication. Most of the time
I've been spending studying grammar, some of it I've used writing and translating text
and the rest I've been working with vocab. However, some other Korean students I've
been talking to insisted on me that I also need to spend time listening to the
language, but I pretty much hate all Korean music, TV shows and movies and I don't have
any native friends to talk to.

So I took their advice and for the last week now I've been spending 2 hours every day
on watching TV shows in the target language. I guess it's been "sort of" helpful, I
understand some things that they say and also learn some new words and phrases, but is
it really better than actual studying? Is it really necessary to include listening
practice to your studying and if so, how much should you do it?
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4968 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 12
25 January 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
If you pretty much hate all Korean music, TV shows and movies, and have no native friends to talk to, what is it that is inspiring you you to spend five hours a day studying it?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Verikukko
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3919 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes

Message 3 of 12
25 January 2014 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
If you pretty much hate all Korean music, TV shows and movies, and have no
native friends to talk to, what is it that is inspiring you you to spend five hours a day
studying it?

I have many reasons, but this is kind of off-topic.

Edit: ps. I don't want to sound rude, sorry if it sounded like that.

Edited by Verikukko on 25 January 2014 at 9:50pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5478 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 12
25 January 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
dbag's question actually raises a very important point. To develop good listening comprehension, you're going to have to listen to hundreds of hours of something, and you've just ruled out all TV shows, movies and music. And you have no access to native speakers.

So the question then becomes: Why are you learning Korean? If it's for business, for example, maybe you can find some business news channels or possibly a podcast. If you're learning Korean for some other reason, that may point you in the right direction. Or maybe you just want to read Korean, in which case you could skip listening comprehension entirely.

Also, maybe you might want to look some more? I mean, I can't stand stereotypical French art films. I can maybe watch two per year, and I'm done. And I don't care for several of the most successful French TV shows, either. But that still leaves me thousands of things to watch and listen to: documentaries, cartoons, dubbed series, French action movies, stupid French comedies, business TV, parliamentary debates and so on. I mean, in order to hate all of that, I'd pretty much have to irrationally hate every single thing about French culture. In which case, again, what would be the point of learning French?

Anyway, at the beginner level, it's hard to get much out of native materials without cheating. There are lots of ways to cheat: subs2srs, repeated listening of short passages, reading transcripts, etc. Just watching TV, by itself, can be enormously useful a bit later on, especially once you can understand maybe 40% of it. But in the beginning, you may want to split things into intensive activities and extensive activities. Intensive activities are ones that involve repetition, dictionaries and looking stuff up. Extensive actives involve getting lots of volume without worrying about the details. At least for now, you may want to save extensive activities for after you've completely fried your brain with regular studying. :-)

Edited by emk on 25 January 2014 at 10:24pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4968 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 5 of 12
25 January 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Verikukko wrote:
dbag wrote:
If you pretty much hate all Korean music, TV shows and movies, and have no
native friends to talk to, what is it that is inspiring you you to spend five hours a day
studying it?

I have many reasons, but this is kind of off-topic.

Edit: ps. I don't want to sound rude, sorry if it sounded like that.

Don't worry, you didn't sound rude at all. As EMK pointed out, to develop good listening comprehension, you will have to listen to 100s of hours of something. And it will be nigh on impossible to invest the necessary effort if you hate TV, movies and music.

To answer your original question: Listening comprehension is an incredibly important skill to develop, and a very hard one at that. It is no good, for example going to Korea, having excellent speaking skills but not being able to understand a thing people say.

Also, I am sure I read somewhere on the forum that listening comprehension is even more important and harder to develop in Korean than most other languages (Something about there being hundreds and hundreds of words that sound almost exactly the same or something). I will try and dig out the forum post where I read that.

4 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4968 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 6 of 12
25 January 2014 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Here you go, read the first message in the I hate Korean thread.

I hope this doesn't put you off!
2 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3943 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 7 of 12
25 January 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I would say thousands of hours of listening. :)

Starting to think that listening may be slightly more important than speaking. To me, it's very easy making yourself understood at a basic level at almost any language. Of course, it sounds a lot better if you've lived abroad 10 years and you are much more subtle when speaking but I find listening more frustrating than speaking.

Just keep on trucking along man.

It gets tougher and tougher as you get closer to "real" native-speed material. They up the anty and being able to understand a group of natives speaking at normal speed when you *first* meet them is hard. It's another thing if you're used to their accent. One day...

Verikukko
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3919 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes

Message 8 of 12
25 January 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Or maybe you just want to read Korean, in which case you could skip
listening comprehension entirely.

Thank you very much for your replies Emk, Dbag and everyone. The main reason why I am
learning Korean is to be able to read North Korean literature and news in their own
language. Your advice of skipping listening comprehension is very assuring.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version