Heriotza
Groupie
Dominican Republic
Joined 4626 days ago

48 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 1 of 4
26 January 2014 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Hello. First, I would like to thank you all for the great work you have been doing throughout the years on this site. You have been an inspiration for me in my language learning. I would like to know how good do you think my English writing is. Is it definitely above B2 level, perhaps near C1? This is something I wrote last night:

A friend of mine wants me to try hypnotism with her. She got to know about a person in our local city who practices it as a means to treat addictions, emotional disorders and to prompt self-awareness. When she first told me about it, I wasn't excited about the idea of having my consciousness interrupted just for the sake of the experience. However, I asked her what the potential benefits of such a procedure would be and that was when she told me about its therapeutically applications.

After learning that hypnotism could help me with my anxiety and bad sleeping habits, as well as allowing to me to improve my concentration and explore my unconscious fears, I became very interested in trying it. I eagerly need some kind of professional support in order to be able to effectively deal with some aspects of my life right now that seems to be a little bit out of tune with the kind of life that I need to be a happy person.

I regard myself as a very open person when it comes to trying new things. I am also very interested in alternative way of healing and spiritual lifestyles. I believe that our purpose in life is to reach the point when we can fit every piece of the puzzle of the Universe into a coherent whole. I myself have only been happy when I have been able to view the world as a place in which every object, situation and action is part of a higher reality we are moving inevitably (yet pleasantly) towards.

Edited by Heriotza on 27 January 2014 at 5:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3943 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 2 of 4
26 January 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
I would say B2. It really depends how fast you wrote it. If you reviewed it several times as an essay it would be more in the line of mid B2 to me. But if you just wrote it relatively quickly without revision than it would be a higher B2 in my eyes. It is well-written with some advanced vocab but there were a few mistakes that jumped out to me. Overall, not bad. Others may say C1, of course.

Good luck.

Edit: it is hard to tell since it is such a short text. More data needed.

Edited by culebrilla on 26 January 2014 at 5:45am

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7184 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 3 of 4
26 January 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
The only thing that sounded odd to me was "therapeutically applications" I would think
it should be just "therapeutic applications". Maybe someday I can write in Spanish that
well.

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3943 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 4 of 4
27 January 2014 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
I know you aren't supposed to correct somebody unless they ask you, but if you will forgive me:

therapeutic applications
as well as allowing *me* (without "to me") to improve my concentration
interested in alternative *wayS* of helaing
reach the point *where* we can fit

If you wrote it quickly it probably is C1, but again we don't know how fast you wrote it. You should be happy with your English level, that much is clear.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version