ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5153 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 25
31 January 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Yes. You can do everything, but do you really want to do that for ever? Would you continue to spend time doing significant hours of grammar book study every week once you get to B2 or even C1? I can see how doing short bursts of this might be useful, but given you are living outside the country and you might only be studying for (?) two hours a day max, then I would suggest spending that precious time really trying to get your brain around the language by actually "studying the real language" not spending half your time reading meta-theoretical-descriptions of it.

I'm not sure whether I wasn't clear and you misunderstood my message or you're just trolling and attacking a straw-man idea that studying means burying oneself in theoretical books that have little connection with the real language. My point was just that at that particular moment in my studies I was doing too much passive stuff like watching films, reading, and conversing, and not enough active stuff like more intensive reading/watching or pushing myself to expand my active knowledge.

I suppose it would have been clearer and perhaps more accurate if I had contrasted extensive versus intensive as opposed to usage versus study, since there isn't always a clear distinction between using the language and studying it: reading with a dictionary or conversing with a tutor for example could easily count as both.

I certainly don't even have two hours to study most days, so I realise that you have to prioritise and focus on some things over others rather than trying to fit in everything. But at the same time, I think that every so often you need to re-evaluate your current priorities and ask yourself if you're still focusing on the right things, especially if progress has slowed down.

jhaberstro wrote:
What type of studying did you add back? At a certain level it becomes hard to know what to study.

Started using Anki again in order to try to retain and activate more vocabulary and making some of my reading/listening more intensive in order to find sentences to put into it, and did some grammar work to "tidy up" my usage of the language and fix some consistent mistakes. Needless to say it was a very practical grammar book focusing on real-life usage of the language and when to use various propositions, tenses, expressions etc. with lots of examples that wouldn't be out of place in an everyday conversation; no "meta-theoretical-descriptions" to be found!

Edited by garyb on 31 January 2014 at 11:19am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 25
31 January 2014 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
I agree Anki is awesome for helping with active vocabulary, especially the words you want to know but you don't see them that often or the words that just don't stick.

Grammar tidying up is a needed thing. I have as well noticed to develop certain small mistakes over time of daily use of a language without grammar reviews. Small things. You make mistake once and you don't notice it. And perhaps once or twice later, when you are tired. And it slowly gets engraved into your brain. So grammar reviews of some parts are a good thing to do occassionaly.

It is important to get a good resource, that is true. You will surely find a lot of tips on which grammars are good on the forum and in the logs (the G-search function of te forum looks scary at first but it works better than browsing through years of htlal history).
2 persons have voted this message useful

theoanderson3
Diglot
United States
Joined 3898 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 19 of 25
31 January 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
which grammar book and monolingual dictionary do you use for Spanish?

iguanamon wrote:
Studying at an advanced level for me involves mostly a good grammar book and a
monolingual dictionary. I use them to solve problems that I'm having with the language I'm seeing, hearing and
speaking rather than teaching me. I also follow TL English-learning sites on twitter for tips. Is this "study"? Is
working with a tutor at this level "study"? I guess it depends on your perspective.

The intermediate plateau trap often comes about because learners are accustomed to having the course there to
guide them. They are most often not accustomed to "working without a net" because the course does everything
for them. Maybe they've worked with some native materials before but the percentage is usually heavily skewed
towards instructional resources. When working with native materials- reading, listening, speaking, at this stage
there are few formal study materials out there that can guide and hold the learner's hand. This is where a good,
thorough grammar book (that many of us have been avoiding) comes in very handy. This is also where a skype
tutor or good language exchange partner can be most useful. More courses are just not sufficient to get over the
hump, in my opinion.

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5208 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 20 of 25
31 January 2014 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
I use several monolingual dictionaries. On my pc I use the Diccionario de la lengua española from the Real Academia Española. On my kindle, I use La Petite Larousse Diccionario Essencial de la Lengua Española . For Spanish grammar I like Nueva Gramática de la Lengua Española from the RAE. The price is steep but it will serve you for a lifetime. I also like The Big Red Book of Spanish Grammar. This book is economically priced and will serve you well.

I also highly recommend that you look into a skype tutor. Nulengua.com and Proyecto Linguistico Qetzalteco del Español PLQE in Guatemala offer Skype instruction. Cost is about $10 an hour. Even one, one hour session a week or every two weeks, working with a tutor will do wonders for your Spanish. There's nothing like going over an assignment, say read a book or watch a film and then review it for your tutor speaking about it. It's scary but that's what will help you improve- using the language. I like a professional tutor because they know how best to help you overcome your weaknesses. A good, free, language exchange partner is hard to find but worth their weight in gold if you can.

Lastly, look into the exercises at the Centro Virtual Cervantes Aveteca. They are multimedia and graded by CEFR levels.

We get into lots of debates here about language-learning styles and methods. Many of us hold strong opinions based on personal experience about what works best for us. Ultimately, we all just want to help. It's up to you to decide what's best for you.

Edited by iguanamon on 31 January 2014 at 1:11pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 21 of 25
31 January 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
It depends how far into Spanish you have reached the plateau. I'm using Gramática by Anaya for levels A1+A2 and B1 and there is B2 as well. It's quite good, there are exercises and the key. And it fits into smaller bags :-) But I plan to get a better one, I've had my eye on Gramatice de Uso del Espanol, which covers the grammar for all levels in three volumes and is probably inspired by the awesome English Grammar in Use. I tried a few samples I found online and really liked the approach. I like exercises as a part of my learning process and there are many examples. However, if you are really advanced, than going those recommended by iguanamnon.

And one point I forgot: wikipedia is a great resource for tematic vocabulary in context. And there are usually links to awesome related sites. It's one of the best starting points to use, especially when it comes to non fiction texts.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4236 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 22 of 25
02 February 2014 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Grammar tidying up is a needed thing. I have as well noticed to develop certain small
mistakes over time of daily use of a language without grammar reviews. Small things.
You make mistake once and you don't notice it. And perhaps once or twice later, when
you are tired. And it slowly gets engraved into your brain. So grammar reviews of some
parts are a good thing to do occassionaly. history).

Grammar is extremely important, and honestly, almost impossible wherewithout to use the
language in a correct manner. Having a good speech but messing up tenses and noun
declensions every second sentence shall at the very least cause the interlocutor to
feel questionable about the ability of the speaker. I remember in university having
conversations with non-native speakers and their speech seemed good, but then in one
instance they might have said, "And then he throwed the ball...", "Why
come is he so late?" which almost ruined all of the good work beforehand. So it is
important to perfect the grammar of the language if possible.

Writing an essay with grammar
errors declines the quality therein itself, even if the material is good. I remember in
secondary school and even primary school how just one grammar mistake in one essay
might make it look from a 90% to a 65%.

This might sound strange, but I read most of Lengua-Espanola-Spanish-Edition/dp/8467032812/ref=pd_sim_b_2 ">Nueva Gramática de la
Lengua Española: Manual
at one point. Perhaps I am a strange person, but reading
a grammar book whose entirety is 1048 pages was not boring, but it seriously enriched
and helped to internalise precisely correct grammar for all situations. Were I a
professor or teacher, I would recommend something like this for B2 and C1, and
mandatory for C2.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 02 February 2014 at 7:05am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4955 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 23 of 25
02 February 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I think such a grammar is an awesome tool, even though I use them differently. I choose topics relevant to what I've just seen somewhere (as a beginner in a textbook, later in native materials) and read the relevant part. And anything related that looks useful. Over time, I cover the whole books. And the last session or two, that's just discovery of what I've been skipping.

And I think there are various approaches needed for the internalization. Some people love to drill the exemple sentences, some, like me, need to get harder and harder exercises leading to my own sentences. Others just need to make their own overviews (like Iversen's green sheets) and some have it all internalized by reading. I think it's worth it to explore several options and find the optimum.

I totally agree what an effect do grammar mistakes have. Two people presenting the same speech with various level of grammar accuracy won't be seen as speakers at the same level.

semajh18
United States
livefluently.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3880 days ago

1 posts - 3 votes

Message 24 of 25
16 February 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I see that a lot of people are suggesting immersion into the language and I completely agree. I think that when you hit a plateau, that's a sign for you to do something more challenging. So my advice would be do something that will require you to be able to speak Spanish at a higher level. An example would be to apply to some jobs that require you to be bilingual in Spanish and English. I'm sure that if you could get a job like that, then you would have no choice but to advance your level of understanding.

Another thing that I like to do is read books (Always out loud, because it helps you get more practice saying the words) intended for native Spanish speakers, and then try to explain to a native Spanish speaker what the book was about. This has been a really good exercise for me

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version